Graham Carey | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Graham Carey

Army green":2bwdjh93 said:
I honestly can't see Carey with us next season, he will get a much better deal else where unfortunately. I just hope he does wait until the summer and we don't sell him in Jan just to get a few quid as it would have a massive impact on our promotion chances.

That's what I read into Derek's comments this morning - if someone wants to buy Carey in January, they have to accept that our valuation will reflect not just the months he has left on his contract, but what PAFC can achieve with him during those months, and the financial implications of a late season collapse without him.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
There is not much more the club can do at this stage. Carey could pick up a career threatening injury between now and his contract ending so it is a gamble in some ways for him to wait until the end of the season if a decent offer is on the table sooner. Hopefully by January if promotion is looking as good as nailed on he might be prepared to listen to a very good offer from us to play at a higher level next season with a manager who gets the best out of him. Otherwise if Adams is confident we are in a position to clinch promotion with or without him by that stage we might have to accept a January transfer window price for him from a desperate club prepared to pay a premium for a player with only 5 months left on his contract.

Sep 6, 2006
Lets face it we are still not flush with money. I can see the merits of accepting a very good offer in January rather than him going for nothing end of season. Perhaps £400,000. We could strengthen the squad with that money with 2 or 3 players. Also IF we maintain current form we will have one foot in League 1 by end of Jan. anyway! I am concerned we rely too much on him. What if he gets injured like last season?

Aug 5, 2016
Why would Carey leave in January? If he leaves it until the summer GC and his agent hold all the cards.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Clubs buying players in January are usually struggling clubs. Carey would get a bigger signing on fee in the summer.

If Carey does leave in January we really need to extend the loan for Tanner, otherwise we will lose our two most creative players and as things stand Tanner is the best replacement for Carey.

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":3bxgi756 said:
Clubs buying players in January are usually struggling clubs. Carey would get a bigger signing on fee in the summer.

If Carey does leave in January we really need to extend the loan for Tanner, otherwise we will lose our two most creative players and as things stand Tanner is the best replacement for Carey.

Why struggling clubs? Not necessarily. Clubs on the fringe of promotion/play offs perhaps. If he leaves I would hope the money is spent on at least couple of decent replacements(not some of the journeymen we signed in the summer, e.g. Smith and Donaldson)

Nov 2, 2004
He has now played more games for us than any other club.If we get promoted their is every chance he will stay.A bit like Frio you have to pay good wages to keep him.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Just a few comments from a 'Graham Carey' thread in mid November 2015 :-

"Tie him up now".
"Put him on 10 grand a week on a 3 or 4 year deal".
"Never be able to keep hold of him long term".
"Carey should be offered a new and improved contract now and not wait until January" etc..etc.

Let's hope that we are still seeing similar comments on here in November 2017.

May 8, 2011
Balham_Green":ttfdagw2 said:
PL2 3DQ":ttfdagw2 said:

Why struggling clubs? Not necessarily. Clubs on the fringe of promotion/play offs perhaps. If he leaves I would hope the money is spent on at least couple of decent replacements(not some of the journeymen we signed in the summer, e.g. Smith and Donaldson)

Well those journeymen have saved us 3 points so far this season by coming off the bench and scoring late goals.

Having looked at the January 2016 transfers the majority were loan moves. In the Premiership the 3 clubs that spent the most were Newcastle, Sunderland and Norwich and we know what happened to them.

May 8, 2011
davie nine":10j4y86v said:
Just a few comments from a 'Graham Carey' thread in mid November 2015 :-

"Tie him up now".
"Put him on 10 grand a week on a 3 or 4 year deal".
"Never be able to keep hold of him long term".
"Carey should be offered a new and improved contract now and not wait until January" etc..etc.

Let's hope that we are still seeing similar comments on here in November 2017.

According to the story in the Herald the Club tried to start talks about in pre season, but if the Agent decides not to talk there isn't much the Club can do.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
This is one of the worst things about supporting a club further down the food chain (perhaps THE worst). You find a gem and just when they start to really start to shine they’re snatched away for what is a relative pittance – it’s particularly galling that clubs we were on a par with not so long ago can do this to us. For God’s sake though let’s insist on a sell-on-clause this time – I really can’t stand the idea of watching MOTD in a couple of years to see them raving about how brilliant Burnley (or some such) are for having ‘discovered’ him for a mere few million. He’s definitely on my short list of most favourite ever Argyle players – worth the entrance fee on his own at times and a thoroughly likable pro too ...... OK, OK I admit to a bit of a man-crush :oops:

Mar 8, 2016
Surely Carey would want to at least see out his contract here anyway? with a potential promotion, thats something he would want to be apart of. He will get good offers and no doubt a larger signing on fee in the summer aswel.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Army green":35gyw1hh said:
Surely Carey would want to at least see out his contract here anyway? with a potential promotion, thats something he would want to be apart of. He will get good offers and no doubt a larger signing on fee in the summer aswel.

If his agent isn't emphasising this then the man needs to find a new representative.