Graham Carey | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Graham Carey

Mar 8, 2016
edengreen":zck8nctd said:
Can see Warnock at Cardiff or Holloway At QPR coming looking remember the headless chicken known as Mackie!

Possibly, we know he's certainly not going to be short on offers. At least argyle are trying to keep hold of him but I would love to know what argyle are prepared to offer him compared to other clubs.

Jan 27, 2012
The club were able to hang on to their best players when Sturrock was manager. Friio, for example, would have probably attrracted the attention of higher division teams. But Argyle were able to hang on to him OK- not to mention the various other good players we had at that time (many of whom turned out to be Championship standard).

Unfortuntely, I don't think the club have the same funds available as they did then. Despite improvements to the finances, Argyle are still in considerable debt and I think the place is being run on a bit of a shoestring. Just my opinion, all you Brent fanatics !

Mar 23, 2008
The key to all this is Adams. Heard TalkSport debating Coutinho's future and several Pool fans made the point that he was only playing well due to Klopp, so hence the manager is more important than the player. We would miss him of course, he's as close to unreplaceable as you get, especially at this level but if the worst happened I think Goodwillie could do very well in that role.

Feb 15, 2005
So why don't we offer him improved wages to stay until the end of the season then when we win promotion only the richest Div 1 clubs could tempt him as we will be playing at a higher level.

May 8, 2011
gaspargomez":1p7gpvui said:
The club were able to hang on to their best players when Sturrock was manager. Friio, for example, would have probably attrracted the attention of higher division teams. But Argyle were able to hang on to him OK- not to mention the various other good players we had at that time (many of whom turned out to be Championship standard).

Unfortuntely, I don't think the club have the same funds available as they did then. Despite improvements to the finances, Argyle are still in considerable debt and I think the place is being run on a bit of a shoestring. Just my opinion, all you Brent fanatics !

The debt Argyle have is to the Directors.
In cash terms 2016 the Club hasn't seen a year like it for 10 years. Playoff money, transfer money plus increased gate receipts. They're even getting prize money for winning cup games.

Jan 27, 2012
And how much of the above is being pumped into the playing budget ?

I think the club need to think very carefully about the Carey situation. He is the key to Argyle's promotion and if the club lose him to a League One team then the fans need to ask questions about PAFC's ambitions. I doubt if Championship teams will bid for him personally, but we will see.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
He`s coming up on 28 and hasn`t been "discovered" yet, DA took him on when unattached, he freely admits that he is flourishing under DA in a system that allows him total freedom, would he get that elsewhere? If he stays he stays and I would certainly like him to stay, but if he goes then I bet the sun still rises the next day. At times the timbre of the posts about Carey appear very disrespectful to a talented and hard working squad. Remember that Weston Mill is full of indispensable people. In his absence through injury last season the TEAM won 5 out of 7 and his return did not deliver promotion, this season we have more strength in depth.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
oddball":1uivvztr said:
The Argyle board should make Carey an offer that he couldn't refuse and then look to build a dream team around him.The club can afford it. We have the second best home attendances in this division, which is even better than a lot of clubs in the league above,and our admission prices are not cheap,so yes the club can well afford it.Will the board be that forward thinking..I guess we'll find out in January.

Only if the stalwarts keep attending Alf, hint, hint.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Justanotherfan
Remember that Weston Mill is full of indispensable people.
Reminds me of this.
"A THOUGHT TO REMEMBER
Some time, when you feel that your going
Would leave an unfillable hole,
Just follow this simple instruction
And see how it humbles your soul.
Take a bucket and fill it with water.
Put your hand in it up to the wrist.
Pull it out – and the hole that’s remaining
Is a measure of how you are missed.
You may splash as you please when you enter.
You may stir up the water galore.
But stop, and you’ll find in a minute
That it looks just the same as before.
The moral of this quaint example
Is – just do the best that you can
Be proud of yourself, but remember,
THERE’S NO INDISPENSABLE MAN".

I hope he stays though.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
I'm not sure I agree with 'let's throw a ton of money at him now' idea. We're a team remember, and would we want to majorly disrupt that togetherness by paying one player vastly more than the others?

Sep 6, 2006
Deacster":36dgrbp0 said:
The key to all this is Adams. Heard TalkSport debating Coutinho's future and several Pool fans made the point that he was only playing well due to Klopp, so hence the manager is more important than the player. We would miss him of course, he's as close to unreplaceable as you get, especially at this level but if the worst happened I think Goodwillie could do very well in that role.

Goodwillie not fit to tie his laces. Not even the same type of player.
I know we dont want to lose Carey but do we want to lose him next Summer for nothing when we could get decent money for him in Jan.?

Sep 6, 2006
davie nine":2w34lxlh said:
Justanotherfan
Remember that Weston Mill is full of indispensable people.
Reminds me of this.
"A THOUGHT TO REMEMBER
Some time, when you feel that your going
Would leave an unfillable hole,
Just follow this simple instruction
And see how it humbles your soul.
Take a bucket and fill it with water.
Put your hand in it up to the wrist.
Pull it out – and the hole that’s remaining
Is a measure of how you are missed.
You may splash as you please when you enter.
You may stir up the water galore.
But stop, and you’ll find in a minute
That it looks just the same as before.
The moral of this quaint example
Is – just do the best that you can
Be proud of yourself, but remember,
THERE’S NO INDISPENSABLE MAN".

I hope he stays though.

Its very dangerous relying so much on one player anyway. Or in any other situation.

Mar 8, 2016
Balham_Green":3t3uoo88 said:
Deacster":3t3uoo88 said:

I know we dont want to lose Carey but do we want to lose him next Summer for nothing when we could get decent money for him in Jan.?

I suppose it depends on how much money we would get for him and if that money would be used to by a new player of his type. However getting out of this league is main priority so I really hope Carey stays until the summer at the very least. We will no doubt start hearing rumours over the next few weeks, hopefully that won't unsettle Carey to much.

Sep 6, 2006
Army green":iu1npffb said:
Balham_Green":iu1npffb said:
Deacster":iu1npffb said:

I suppose it depends on how much money we would get for him and if that money would be used to by a new player of his type. However getting out of this league is main priority so I really hope Carey stays until the summer at the very least. We will no doubt start hearing rumours over the next few weeks, hopefully that won't unsettle Carey to much.

So we get out of the League(which I think we can do without Carey for the last 3 or 4 months) and write off half a million?

Mar 8, 2016
Balham_Green":122s69qb said:
Army green":122s69qb said:
Balham_Green":122s69qb said:
Deacster":122s69qb said:

So we get out of the League(which I think we can do without Carey for the last 3 or 4 months) and write off half a million?

You've just pulled half a million out your arse, we don't know we would get that. If Carey wants to leave and if we do get 500k for him then it's pretty obvious what the club will do. Would that money be invested into a new player?