Ice Bucket Challenge - James Brent | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ice Bucket Challenge - James Brent

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
What an embarrassment. The club president putting the Chairman in a no-win situation. Shame on you Mr Webb.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
JB is no different to anyone else Kevin. Just before you pour the ice bucket you have to nominate others, that's how it works.

To that extent everyone is in a no win situation, apart from some very worthy causes of course. They've had £millions pour in.

May 22, 2006
Argylegames":3qv4gu1x said:
What an embarrassment. The club president putting the Chairman in a no-win situation. Shame on you Mr Webb.

Always one misery. Go sit in the corner and nurse your pint, old man.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
Argylegames":2kfaa0hv said:

He doesn't HAVE to do it. Hardly a no-win situation, no one would genuinely be upset if he didn't take up the challenge.

Drenching the chairman at half time would a harmless bit of fun, no doubt the little ones will be amused.

Although I would be more likely to donate if it was Todd and Gardener, and we replaced the water with raw sewage :)

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Beautifully said John, & indeed Keepitgreen on a later thread.
I won't be able to be with you all on Saturday but will be in spirit. (having done my challenge in memory of Lilian, my mum, who also passed away with this horrid disease).
As well as raising much needed funds, this has been the most fabulous opportunity to raise awareness of MND. Whilst a small %, ca. 10%, of cases are familial (where family members have a 50% chance of incepting MND !!!) the majority just occur out of the blue, typically resulting in death ca18/24 months after diagnosis, through which period the motor functions "grind to a halt"....at any age as early as 20 & as late as 75, perhaps most typically in the 40s/50s.

It was David Niven's last defiant gesture as he finally succumbed that results in the "thumbs up" logo of the MNDA ( & indeed that's the relevance of that sign being repeated in many of the videos.)
http://www.mndassociation.org for further info.

The US charity,alsa.org, have raised a fabulous amount as well as MNDA here in the UK which will go a long way to funding the fabulous research that is being done to find a cure ( & early detection etc.)

The monies that I raise through quizzes in South Bucks, HP10 8LN more typically go to help support sufferers, eg: with tailor-made wheelchairs & other help. Next dates are Oct 11th & Jan 17th (all are welcome!- it would be great to have an Argyle table- eg PASALB!), when some of the proceeds will again go to the Cornish Branch, for whom I have tremendous respect even tho' it was a fair few years ago when my mum was a sufferer, so invaluably helped.

I am sorry to have to say that I am saddened that the marketing dept of MacMillan have decided to let down their so-highly respected charity ( whose awareness needs are quite different I would also suggest) by muscling in on this ALS/MND initiative.

I don't want to become too churlish, but I do hope that Saturday's fun ( & Thank You James Brent, & all who take part in it) is a fabulous occasion for MND.

Onwards & Upwards in raising awareness & in our fight against this horrid disease !!

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
Oh dear!, I really don't want to encourage going off at a whole tangent!....... Obviously the article expresses clearly that "faddishness/gimmicks" are not the logical basis for determining where we donate our hard-earned pence.

That is hardly rocket-science though, is it! After that the article's value gets wafer-thin. Do you really imagine, for instance, that the research being carried out on MND is in splendid isolation from the whole sphere of neuro-science? which is relevant to all sorts of conditions..........eg: epilepsy, affecting ca. 425,000 folk in the UK, (of which ca. 1,000 die annually from SUDEP), amongst may other things.

And if marathon runners dressed up in rhino suits help attract more funds than the "rhino cause" otherwise would, do you really want to cry "slacktivism at its worse", or something similar, & quote a (embrassingly) simplistic article in order to diss the cause!

Rhinos do matter & do matter to me & a lot of folk I'm sure, but its a personal choice many of us make to allow folk like yourself to get on with that responsibility whilst we make reasoned decisions to put our efforts, & cash, elsewhere.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
Sorry Ray, I don't understand the point you are making about funding (I am not trying to be snide or clever, I actually don't understand the point).
Anyway, I am certainly not dissing contributing to anything, and not to MND (or Save The Rhino) or anything else, as you say, if people decide to put efforts and cash there. that's their call and certainly not mine.
The point of the article I agree with is that there is the seeming lack of discernment in people deciding to chuck a bucket of cold water over their heads and then retreating back into comfortable indifference, or getting signing up to internet campaigns and thinking they've done their bit while society circles the drain.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I've been challenged and I wasn't going to do it, as I find it a tad 'in vogue' but remembered this one.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=70780&p=1204306&hilit=MND#p1204306

I don't mind being accused a slacktivist, I've been called far worse, and when you see people that are hit with this vile disease and the way the are robbed of their faculties almost systematically, it brings it right home.

I can't even imagine what the person affected by it AND the families go through but if being a 'bit daft' for a few seconds and joining in a craze is all it takes, then what's the problem with that.

Charity takes all guises, some donate, some offer their time, some think of good ideas, but in the end, it is quite nice to help others.

Nov 4, 2012
It's for charity so It's good but I swear if I have to watch one more Ice bucket challenge i'm going to puke up my balls through my mouth.

Ray Stidwell

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
HaHa! PAFC94 ; I guess just refusing to "watch any more" is preferable to such drastic bodily alteration!

I admit that I am so thrilled at the increase in awareness, which I do feel is so important separately from fund-raising, that I'm still overlooking the "repetitive silliness"...( & presuming anyway that it won't last for too much longer); especially because every icebucketer I know who was not previously MND-aware has not just "played the game" but has taken a genuine interest in MND.

I guess I was disappointed with the article, Rhino, that after it made a very good point- that is much more rational & appropriate to choose to donate on the basis of merit, as opposed to "impulse buy"/fad- it presumed to "test" "worthiness" of a cause in such a simplistic manner.
Clearly need, influence & urgency are good criteria, but "fair assessment" does not stop there!

Most charities in the UK measure up fairly well, I feel, there being a much smaller number who have insufficient merit; & then at the bottom of the pile are the scams.

Probably my biggest "bugbear" with the charities which are good causes is those amongst them that engage in "charity mugging" & those larger charities who throw so much cash (too much in my view) at dominating the field & muscling out the smaller players.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
Ray - re chugging: 100%; and re the test issue in that article, I agree too.
But as Ian said also, it is far better to do it than not, so I guess I should shut up! (and will).