Is Banton's future at Argyle? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is Banton's future at Argyle?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Pogleswoody":2ghw965n said:
"On the otherhand, many would have (and did) write off Reuben Reid during a long baron spell for goals"

Now he is the Duke of Scoring! :scarf:
(except penalties :sad: )

That's my point really, many clubs and fans had written him off previously, but sheer persistence and belief from Shez paid off handsomely. There's no guarantee the same would happen with Banton, but there is a chance he could return to his once formidable form. Who knows?! Personally, I wouldn't risk it. The current 11 is better without him, whereas Reid benefit from being the best option we had even when he was off form.

Apr 9, 2011
What "formidable" form was that exactly? Have I missed something. Must admit have never been a fan of his even first time round &am afraid he has done nothing to enhance his reputation this time around. Far to lightweight & constantly ducks out of tackles. He may have a future somewhere but sadly not with us.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
His first spell Phil. Something like 6 goals in 14 games. That's pretty good going and only considers his direct contribution. I'm sure he provided a couple of assists during those matches too. He's certainly a figure to thank considering how we'd have likely done without him...

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
spowell92":26z7b4c9 said:
His first spell Phil. Something like 6 goals in 14 games. That's pretty good going and only considers his direct contribution. I'm sure he provided a couple of assists during those matches too. He's certainly a figure to thank considering how we'd have likely done without him...
Don't think he had any assists in his first spell, that was his biggest problem back then, he didn't pass very often.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Whereas nowadays he passes a lot, tracks back a lot but never gets it quite right.

If you could somehow harness the new and improved effort of this season with the swagger and self-belief of 2013 then what an incredible player we'd have.

Not sure it'll happen.

A

Ajax66

No, brings nothing to the table, get him off the wage bill.

G

Greenskin

spowell92":1halff1w said:

He certainly doesn't seem to be the same player as in his first spell-this may seem a strange thing to say but he even seems to be running differently this time, maybe the injuries he sustained at MKD have had a serious effect on the guy. In the matches that I've seen him play, he possesses nowhere near the same self belief as previously but his effort has been OK, unfortunately that isn't enough for an Argyle side which is desperately lacking goals and assists from the areas that Banton has been playing in. Heard it suggested from some quarters that he should play up front but not sure about that one-maybe worth a try I suppose, anything to get him productive again.

Mar 23, 2008
Plympton
There's no denying he has a lot of talent. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to show that in the last year but tot be fair he has had a fair few injuries and that really can effect a player's development. He's still only young and with a fair bit of work in training I really think he could become the player he has the potential to be. Wether it be with us and we persist with him I don't know but it would be good to see the confident banton again that we saw in his first spell.

I'm mystified Cobi as to how you could think Banton offers nothing and has a poor attitude, while thinking Smalley offers something that Banton doesn't and completely ignoring the fact Smalley is more selfish and doesn't move at all either defensively or offensively.

Banton might be lacking in any end product but there's obvious there's a player in there. Smalley, not so much.

Feb 21, 2011
I think both Smalley and Banton are useful assets, unfortunately they are both best employed as a central striker as we currently have one of the better strike partnerships in the division the chances of them starting there are slim to nil barring injury to Lewi or Reubs. Add to that that Morgan is probably ahead of them both for a central striking role the future looks like wide left or right.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
It is interesting to note from the Man of the Match poll on here that Banton is currently equal second in performance votes after Nelson. Despite all the 'slings and arrows' coming in his direction, there are supporters who felt he contributed well in comparison to other team members last Saturday.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Steve Evans":3njiva5y said:
Cobi Budge.":3njiva5y said:
I don't see how you've quite calculated that.

Banton - 25 games (20 starts) and 1 goal.

Smalley - 10 games (3 starts) and 2 goals.

While Smalley has by no means set the world alight, he's looked more of a threat than Banton, at least he doesn't jump out of the way when he faces anything physical, not a glowing report but he get's himself involved, Banton doesn't.
smallry wasn't even available yesterday cobi!what's up with him this time?
I was told on Saturday that he's got some ligament damage which occurred in training, although I've seen nothing official.

Jan 12, 2009
Banton will come good with time, Shez knows what he is doing with him. He has had injuries and a loss of form but he is probably our most talented player.

I spoke to Branston earlier this season and he was telling me the players all rate Banton very highly, in training before he got injured the reports were Banton was on fire, giving Nelson and Mchugh the run around and scoring for fun.

He is the type of player who needs to be loved, if we get on his back his head will just drop. Banton is a match winner and we need to let him find his form even if it is off the bench.

May 10, 2013
PAFCJames86":kcve4334 said:
Banton will come good with time, Shez knows what he is doing with him. He has had injuries and a loss of form but he is probably our most talented player.

I spoke to Branston earlier this season and he was telling me the players all rate Banton very highly, in training before he got injured the reports were Banton was on fire, giving Nelson and Mchugh the run around and scoring for fun.

He is the type of player who needs to be loved, if we get on his back his head will just drop. Banton is a match winner and we need to let him find his form even if it is off the bench.

Exactly this

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
PAFCJames86":2r9w4rp4 said:

This is pretty much how I see it, the only problem is that football partciularly football fans are very impatient and want everything instantly. You don't get long before a player going through poor form is labelled as "cr*p" or "past/lost it", this is made even worse when a player feeds off of the energy from the crowd especially when in Banton's case they feed off of applause that you don't get when you're underperforming. It's likely to be one of the reasons Fernando Torres never "came back", he was very much a confidence player at Liverpool, feeding off the hero worship they had for him, off he went to Chelsea and the world was against him and we never saw the Torres of old again.

I'm sure Banton will come good again, we've seen enough good performances from him to know that there is talent in him. My only hope is that he returns to form here with us and not at another club after he gets fed up with the abuse and leaves.