Is Banton's future at Argyle? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is Banton's future at Argyle?

Jul 3, 2006
Certainly not happening for Banton at the moment. I feel sorry for him - I think he's trying his best. He just doesn't have the physique or tackling ability to run around putting in crunching tackles, which means he's got to beat his man or pick the right pass when he does get the ball. Unfortunately, he's failing to do so almost every time right now.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
PAFCJames86":bvj2kabj said:
Banton will come good with time, Shez knows what he is doing with him. He has had injuries and a loss of form but he is probably our most talented player.

I spoke to Branston earlier this season and he was telling me the players all rate Banton very highly, in training before he got injured the reports were Banton was on fire, giving Nelson and Mchugh the run around and scoring for fun.

He is the type of player who needs to be loved, if we get on his back his head will just drop. Banton is a match winner and we need to let him find his form even if it is off the bench.
Nail on head.

C

Cobi Budge.

Fair enough each to their own but this season I've felt more confident of us doing something with Smalley on the ball over Banton, while he's not been great Smalley has scored 2 goals, forced 2 good saves and hit the bar as well, I don't recall Banton doing any of that.

Banton probably does have more natural talent but I care about form & the fact is I trust Smalley more to be strong, put himself about maybe cause problems, over Banton, at the moment Anyway. I hope Banton proves me wrong.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":3g31c3x5 said:
Fair enough each to their own but this season I've felt more confident of us doing something with Smalley on the ball over Banton, while he's not been great Smalley has scored 2 goals, forced 2 good saves and hit the bar as well, I don't recall Banton doing any of that.

Banton probably does have more natural talent but I care about form & the fact is I trust Smalley more to be strong, put himself about maybe cause problems, over Banton, at the moment Anyway. I hope Banton proves me wrong.
Maybe Banton hasn't been able to have the same amount of chances as Smalley as 9 times out of 10 Banton has been stuck out of position on the left wing.

Who would you rather the ball fell to in the box, Banton or Smalley? I know which one I'd rather.

C

Cobi Budge.

Smalley, because I at least think he'd get a shot away, Banton would probably try to beat a defender 6 or 7 times first.

C

Cobi Budge.

I used to think that. Now everytime Banton picks up the ball he either loses it, or best case scenario, makes an ok pass, he just offers absolutely nothing, he needs to drop a level to come back up.

Neither Banton nor Smalley should be in our starting line up, but when it comes to an option from the bench, I think Smalley gives us a little bit more, just seems to do more with the ball at his feet (e.g. Get a shot away).

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":15n9leqs said:
I used to think that. Now everytime Banton picks up the ball he either loses it, or best case scenario, makes an ok pass, he just offers absolutely nothing, he needs to drop a level to come back up.

Neither Banton nor Smalley should be in our starting line up, but when it comes to an option from the bench, I think Smalley gives us a little bit more, just seems to do more with the ball at his feet (e.g. Get a shot away).
You're saying this about Banton but you don't seem to realise Smalley is the exact same :lol:

Smalley gives us nothing and you know it.

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Tugboat":1qnca3lq said:
He needs a run/start of 5 games

Read this as "he needs to run", which I felt was about right.

C

Cobi Budge.

Sorry Steve but we'll always be at odds over this. Banton gives us next to nothing apart from a good game every 10 or so, Smalley at least gives us a bit of strength and pace from the bench, albeit admittedly not much else. Neither are starters.

I can't imagine Banton is on a small wage, I don't see the point in keeping him when he's contributing nothing, he's not even a luxury player anymore. People are acting like he's just returned, he's been back almost a year, I've seen a good goal and 4 or 5 good games, in an entire year, if any other player gave that return they'd be slated to the hills on here, Banton gets a lot of protection because of his first season. I think injuries have seriously affected his actual ability, as someone else has said, he seems slower and he even runs differently.

They say form is temporary and class is permanent, I often challenge this, a year isn't 'form', injuries damage class.

I hope he proves me wrong but simply, he's just not as good anymore.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Banton is proving a difficult player to accommodate. Assumably, he's one of our highest paid players, yet since returning he's had maybe 4/5 performances which have proven him worthy of being in the starting XI. On his day, he has enough ability to excel in this division and based on his first loan spell, he has enough talent to progress even further. However a mixture of injuries, confidence and complacency appear to have damaged his evolution as a player.

Physically, he's not up to the rigours of this league. He doesn't get stuck in enough, or do the gritty bits that quite often help you make your own luck. Usually, this wouldn't be a problem, some players just aren't that way inclined. However when your contribution of quality drops as significantly as his has, then these shortcomings become exacerbated and all people can now see in Banton is a lazy, disinterested and stagnating player.

My hope was that Banton would start to improve once the competition for places became an issue. Having the pressure of having two/three other guys who can all play your position should be pushing the best out of him. Unfortunately, it just seems to be further showing his flaws as a player. On current form, he's nowhere near the level of Bobby Reid, not even close.

I still don't think it's time to give up on Banton, but we need to work out where it is he fits in the 3-5-2 we play. The 3-5-2 requires high work rates from everyone. The full backs are covering a lot of ground, and the central midfielders are too, more than he is capable of. When you couple that with the amount of work Lewi puts in, you just can't see Banton being able to effectively partner Reid.

It's a tricky scenario. In my time supporting Argyle, I don't remember a player who has underperformed for such a long period. How long can you persist with a player who is ultimately talented enough to make it here, but just can't seem to get out of this rut he's in. Because there's a difference between just being a bad player, and being a good one that's lost his way. The latter is what I feel we are dealing with.

C

Cobi Budge.

In my view, right now, both Marvin Morgan & Nathan Thomas are better options on the left than Banton.