Is Banton's future at Argyle? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is Banton's future at Argyle?

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Whilst clearly a very serious and different injury to JB's - i always look at Aaron Ramsey at Arsenal, bought as a wonder-kid, got injured missed alot of football - came back Arsenal supporters slated him, wanted him gone throughout the 2012/13 season, their view was he wasn't Premier league Class. - Then won their Player of the Year 2013/14.

Injuries can cause you to lose pace and confidence, they rarely, if ever take your ability away.

If you are a player who only turned pro because of exceptional pace (Darius Vassell springs to mind) if that goes you are in a world of trouble. Notice his fall from grace, compared to genuine footballers such as Kevin Phillips, who are able to maintain a standard that keeps him involved with top clubs.

JB has ability, whether we can afford the luxury of a run of 10-15 games which is maybe what it will take to find his true form, i very much doubt. A spell on loan somewhere would possibly be the answer for both parties.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Lots of JB initials on the threads today. Hopefully I am posting this on the Banton thread :).

TBH, if Banton had not had that superb spell on loan when Sheridan first came he would have no claim to even be in the match day 18 based on his performances since his permanent return. It's a shame because like the majority of fans, I was delighted when he returned and thought he would improve the side, unfortunately, we seem a better side without him at the moment because his individual style doesn't fit with our tactical approach either home or away.

Edit to add - just thought back to Bury game in August when he lost possession when we were in a strong attacking position on the edge of their box and when to ground in installments :)

This was before he picked up an injury and after a reportedly series of good showing in pre - season games. It was a bizarre attempt to win a free kick.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":a3jzy67y said:
In my view, right now, both Marvin Morgan & Nathan Thomas are better options on the left than Banton.
I'm just gonna say this one last time but all 3 are better options than Smalley.

P

pafcstafford

You can't judge Smalley yet. You shouldn't judge a player until he is fully fit and has good run of games. Sheridan hasn't got a striker wrong yet, so his judgement is good enough for me at the moment. Let's not forget ds had injuries during pre season and it's carried on that way so I'm prepared to wait and give the guy a chance. He must have something js was after him long enough.

When he came on against pompey he looked very dangerous to me. I look forward to when he's fit enough to start he must look okay in training as he's above mm in pecking order.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Emu":2itu004t said:
Argy1e":2itu004t said:
pafcstafford":2itu004t said:
Sheridan hasn't got a striker wrong yet
Gozie Ugwu
Ronan Murray
Enoch Showunmi

Very harsh. All three were short term loanee fixes, plus two of them were youngsters.
Was Ronan Murray a Sheridan loan signing or a Carl Fletcher one?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Emu":3nz2yfsh said:
Argy1e":3nz2yfsh said:
pafcstafford":3nz2yfsh said:
Sheridan hasn't got a striker wrong yet
Gozie Ugwu
Ronan Murray
Enoch Showunmi

Very harsh. All three were short term loanee fixes, plus two of them were youngsters.
How is it harsh? It's not a judgement of the players themselves but that Sheridan didn't make the right signing. Ugwu and Murray struggled to make the team and didn't make a great impression when they did, as for Showunmi we needed a player to replace the injured Alessandra and Enoch just wasn't in the same mold, it didn't work at all, so another wrong signing. Ugwu and Murray have gone on to do well at other clubs, but at the time they weren't the right players for us, and Enoch now plays for Canvey Island on a dual registration from Wealdstone where he was seemed surplus to requirements, all three are decent or have been decent at some time in their career, but Sheridan got those signings wrong.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge.":21sgln9u said:
I don't see how you've quite calculated that.

Banton - 25 games (20 starts) and 1 goal.

Smalley - 10 games (3 starts) and 2 goals.

While Smalley has by no means set the world alight, he's looked more of a threat than Banton, at least he doesn't jump out of the way when he faces anything physical, not a glowing report but he get's himself involved, Banton doesn't.

A usual stat from Cobi - i.e. complete boll*cks. According to GreensonScreen Banton has started 9 games and Smalley 5. Are you a compulsive liar or something?

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
pafcstafford":1tffoc2r said:
You can't judge Smalley yet. You shouldn't judge a player until he is fully fit and has good run of games. Sheridan hasn't got a striker wrong yet, so his judgement is good enough for me at the moment. Let's not forget ds had injuries during pre season and it's carried on that way so I'm prepared to wait and give the guy a chance. He must have something js was after him long enough.

When he came on against pompey he looked very dangerous to me. I look forward to when he's fit enough to start he must look okay in training as he's above mm in pecking order.

:shock:
MARVIN MORGAN?
Unless I'm missing something and 2 goals in 33 appearances is a good return?

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
up_the_line":3s01e7ah said:
pafcstafford":3s01e7ah said:

:shock:
MARVIN MORGAN?
Unless I'm missing something and 2 goals in 33 appearances is a good return?
We should probably add Smalley to the list as well, I know its early but I just can't see him turning good at all.

C

Cobi Budge.

I still think Morgan is best used on the left, not as a striker, that's where he's most dangerous and can cause problems. Despite his size, he's much better with the ball at his feet than in the air.

Slightly unfair to call him a failed signing. He's been in and out of the team due to injury, his best displays have come this season (and once or twice last season) when he's out wide.