Is Banton's future at Argyle? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is Banton's future at Argyle?

Jan 26, 2013
Plymouth
I think it's frustrating for a lot of fans because we know there's a fantastic player inside who for whatever reason cannot seem to break up. I know they say it's a team effort, but as far as I'm concerned we would've been relegated were it not for Banton in 2012/13. The only position for him at the moment would be behind the striker in a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-2-3-1. However he's just going to have to bide his time for the near future as 3-5-2 continues to be successful, but with his contract expiring next summer I do feel we're going to have to start seeing major improvements from him soon.

C

Cobi Budge.

Ugwu - Never really got a shot due to injury. Hardly a 'poor signing'.

Murray - I was one of the few who rated and defended him during his time here, don't know what he did wrong. He's gone on to play at a higher level which was no shock to me.

Showunmi - This one I'll agree with, I didn't understand the signing at all. Enoch was a great guy and tried his best but he wasn't good enough, but aside from that, we didn't need that sort of player, Lewi was out therefore we were crying out for a similar player to him. We already had two big men in Reid and Morgan.

Was Craig Sutherland a Sheridan or Fletcher signing? I can't remember. Either way, he was pretty poor.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Cobi Budge.":3m1m0lsn said:
Ugwu - Never really got a shot due to injury. Hardly a 'poor signing'.

Murray - I was one of the few who rated and defended him during his time here, don't know what he did wrong. He's gone on to play at a higher level which was no shock to me.

Showunmi - This one I'll agree with, I didn't understand the signing at all. Enoch was a great guy and tried his best but he wasn't good enough, but aside from that, we didn't need that sort of player, Lewi was out therefore we were crying out for a similar player to him. We already had two big men in Reid and Morgan.

Was Craig Sutherland a Sheridan or Fletcher signing? I can't remember. Either way, he was pretty poor.
Sutherland arrived over a year before Sheridan came here.

C

Cobi Budge.

Ah ok. No shock there. Fletcher was pretty incapable when it came to signing players, probably down to a lack of contacts in fairness though.

B

blackbeard

Banton's future should be up front with R Reid, not on the wing. I believe that given a decent run in the team he would come good.

Jun 8, 2014
When he came on vs Mansfield he played behind the strikers and did so very well. He was smart on the ball and his distribution was excellent. He needs confidence. As has been said on this thread before he's a player who needs to be loved, and whilst I think it's a factor all players benefit from, Banton needs that extra love, that confidence and swagger back.

He can only do that with support - but half an hour of a poor game on the Lyndhurst side and it's like an audience for someone on death row. It gets pretty nasty, and that's not an atmosphere I advocate or endorse, it's pretty brutal and benefits nobody.

We all know there's a player in Banton, I don't think he's a left midfielder and I really don't think he's a striker. It's so horrendously evident he's one of the best technical players we've got, he's so good on the ball. Look at the top teams, they play their most talented players down the centre where, coincidentally, they can get onto the ball more often. He doesn't have the strength or commitment to play up front and he doesn't get the ball enough on the left wing - when he does, he's not good because he only cuts inside, he doesn't like running to the byline and crossing the ball as Nathan Thomas would for example.

I maintain he needs to be a CAM, and I think he can do the job well. On the weekend I'd start him there in the 352, dropping Blizzard and putting Bobby Reid in the midfield two with O'Connor or Cox. Reid and Alessandra up front and I think it could work. If he can reproduce his first loan spell form or even play more like he did against Mansfield, then we would have one hell of a player on our hands.

He's got the ability to play at a level far above this one. Does he have the attitude? I'm not sure. Only time will tell, but there's things we can do to help him in the mean time..

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
See what you are saying Paven, but, if Sheridan thought Banton was the answer as CAM, I don't think he would have brought Bobby Reid to the club twice in a few weeks.

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
I agree that now Deane Smalley is crooked for the rest of the season it makes sense to play Jason Banton as a striker when Reuben Reid gets subbed or injured. Playing him out on the wing and out of position just does'nt work but we KNOW there is goals in him as a striker, he's proved that with his first loan spell, he just lacks confidence at the moment but as soon as he bangs one in the monkey will be lifted off his back, well I hope so. :scarf:

C

centralgreen

he played well last night gimmin his do.

Hope he can return his league form soon

max

Jan 5, 2012
PORTSMOUTH
PAFC150479":2mlrtsll said:
With smalley now out, banton should be given the chance of back up striker. Make or break time

Centre forward, you got to be kidding!! he ain't got the bottle for it!!! A big defender would marmalise him!!