Luke Young | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Luke Young

G

Greenskin

IJN":h1dn0j17 said:
We lost Luke Summerfield, which always annoyed me, and we shouldn't lose another Plymouth born lad who attempts to make his way in pro football.

Love his dinky passes and his quadrant free kicks, he just needs to concentrate a bit more, and I'm sure he could become a long serving player for us.

PAFC is far better when it has local lads amongst its ranks.

Don't disagree with the idea of Plymouth being an area where the club should be harvesting talent and developing it but ultimately the end product has to be there.At his best,Luke is an excellent midfield player with a very good range of passing and dead ball ability but we haven't seen his best anywhere near enough.He's 21 now [which admittedly is still pretty youthful and some way off his peak] and has played nearly 100 games-he really needs to impose himself on the midfield from next season and become a dominant player,rather than a bit part one.I would be astonished if he was released and fully expect him to be on the books next year but it's coming up to crunch time as far as his professional career is concerned.I thought that Luke Summerfield stayed down here too long but that was for other reasons-he was never going to overcome the nepotism stigma attached to him-our current Luke has no such monkey on his back,lets hope he signs a contract and becomes the midfield mainstay that his class warrants.

B

Big Ears

I'm a big, big fan of Luke and would love him to stay but unfortunately I can't see him doing well at Plymouth. He's a very clever player with great passing ability that would suit proper wingers and an imposing strong midfielder alongside him for support.
Under Fletcher, he was allowed to run with the ball and had other players that understood his clever play. The current squad and manager don't use this talent and as such he looks to be very inconsistent, as he isn't used well and is in and out of the team. When Sheridan said that he didn't want Luke to run with the ball and he should only play off one or two touches it was criminal and typically British in the style of football and lack of vision. Ok, he's smaller than some, but is strong in a tackle and gets straight back up when he is knocked down. His attacking movement off the ball is the best in the team.
Luke isn't going to get a chance to play HIS game while Connor is in the team, so the best option would be a move to a club that plays football.
I wish him well - he's a proper footballer.

Mar 14, 2009
Its simple I think.

If JS is going to play him as CM then im afraid it would be a place wasted. He isn't strong, or physical enough. I know he does some decent free kicks but I'm sorry if you can't find someone who can do just as good set pieces on the consistence basis he does then you aren't looking hard enough.

He isn't a CM. He could be a decent RM with his ability to cross the ball but again needs more consistency in his game.

I know he is a local lad but sometimes we need more this. IJN mentioned Summerfield and that he was gutted when losing him. I wasn't. He was a very poor player who often flattered to deceive. In terms of a player he was like a crab. Always sideways with his passes. So frustrating.

With Luke, he is a much better player than Summerfield but if Sheridan continues to use him like Fletcher did in a CM position then I feel you are just wasting his talent.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Meh not ever really been his biggest fan but his performances were much better when he was on the right wing so I'd be all for seeing him back there.

Jul 6, 2011
Steve.PAFC2012":24bcegi8 said:
Meh not ever really been his biggest fan but his performances were much better when he was on the right wing so I'd be all for seeing him back there.

I've always seen him as a right winger, maybe not dribbling with the ball, but certainly putting in that telling cross - almost like the Beckham position. I don't think that Gurrieri, Allesandra or anyone else you could mention could better him.
Definitely not Central midfield, wasted in the middle.

Mar 23, 2008
Plympton
Definitely do not let him go. He is the best passer of a football we have in our squad. He's still really young and is still always learning and by no means a finished product. I think people expect too much of our young players like young and hourihane (lets not forget even with the amount of games they've played they are still very young) but they are bright, talented young players with a lot of potential. Would be a huge mistake letting luke young go.

W

Wilfredo

Greenskin":x5w29adk said:
IJN":x5w29adk said:
We lost Luke Summerfield, which always annoyed me, and we shouldn't lose another Plymouth born lad who attempts to make his way in pro football.

Love his dinky passes and his quadrant free kicks, he just needs to concentrate a bit more, and I'm sure he could become a long serving player for us.

PAFC is far better when it has local lads amongst its ranks.

Don't disagree with the idea of Plymouth being an area where the club should be harvesting talent and developing it but ultimately the end product has to be there.At his best,Luke is an excellent midfield player with a very good range of passing and dead ball ability but we haven't seen his best anywhere near enough.He's 21 now [which admittedly is still pretty youthful and some way off his peak] and has played nearly 100 games-he really needs to impose himself on the midfield from next season and become a dominant player,rather than a bit part one.I would be astonished if he was released and fully expect him to be on the books next year but it's coming up to crunch time as far as his professional career is concerned.I thought that Luke Summerfield stayed down here too long but that was for other reasons-he was never going to overcome the nepotism stigma attached to him-our current Luke has no such monkey on his back,lets hope he signs a contract and becomes the midfield mainstay that his class warrants.

Like all players he needs to have a run in the side, too many times this season he has been made the scape goat and dropped through no fault of his own. The problem is one player who can play football in a team is not enough !!! you won't see the best of Luke Young until we get better players around him. He is probably only one of three who could possibly cut it at a higher level. If Luke doesn't resign he will go to a club in Div 1 / Championship and we will pick up a poultry sum for him being under 24 and coming through the youth rank (We would be lucky to get 100K).

Another one we would let go !!!!!

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Luke may be a good passer now and then, but then again not that consistent,as against Wimbledon he was pretty poor.Not a significant midfielder in that he is not a dominant figure,in that he is not that strong in the air,nor is he that aggressive on the ground,in fact easily barged over,outplayed,and doesn't control the midfield,lilian niallis he is not.....apologies to the fan club,,,,,,,,,

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
He's got a footballing brain and you can see what he is trying to do with his passes even when some don't find the target. I like his little passes into Reid's feet which give him the chance to turn a defender, I'm sure Reid appreciates it as well rather than balls aimed at his head.

One let down for Young is his poor corners, his success rate of clearing the first man at the near post is very low.

Young is one of only a handful players suited to our carpet pitch.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
PL2 3DQ":29nsyfpb said:
He's got a footballing brain and you can see what he is trying to do with his passes even when some don't find the target. I like his little passes into Reid's feet which give him the chance to turn a defender, I'm sure Reid appreciates it as well rather than balls aimed at his head.

One let down for Young is his poor corners, his success rate of clearing the first man at the near post is very low.

Simple solution. He shouldn't take the corners.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
PL2 3DQ":rx40du5v said:

as are his corners! surely a pro of his age should be able to stick the ball wherever he wants? High, low, long, short, curling, inny, outy? Surely!!??

A

Ajax66

oddball":2rn4xd59 said:
Luke may be a good passer now and then, but then again not that consistent,as against Wimbledon he was pretty poor.Not a significant midfielder in that he is not a dominant figure,in that he is not that strong in the air,nor is he that aggressive on the ground,in fact easily barged over,outplayed,and doesn't control the midfield,lilian niallis he is not.....apologies to the fan club,,,,,,,,,

Totally agree with Oddball, we need a much more aggressive presence in midfield. Too many times this season we have been overrun in midfield. Hourihane is the playmaker, we need to find a ball winner especially the second balls. I've watched countless times the loose ball being uncontested in the middle of the park thus putting the opposition on the front foot and us conceding sloppy goals.