Luke Young | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Luke Young

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
It's probably his level or lower league 2 at present. He has had a decent number of games to make a significant impression in league 2 and where was the queue of league 2 suitors to snap him up on a low wage after the "awful" decision we made to release him. I don't think he is much more likely to get nobbled just one division below where he has been playing either.
Yes we could have kept him as back up but JS is trying to put together a first team capable of finishing in the top 3 and clearly doesn't feel Young is up to that standard.
Not sure that physicality is the be all and end all either. The little French midfielder who played so well the other night was barely up to Didier Deschamp's shoulders when he was taken off. Sam says he's a phenomenal talent for the conference, well let's see. If it was that obvious surely at least one league 2 club would have wanted him? Good luck to Young with proving JS wrong, time will tell.

If Young does fail, it's not because of a lack of ability. It's because of the attitudes of many on here that players can't succeed if they're not physically gifted.

On the continent, a player like Young would be so highly valued. In England, we value physicality over skill - players like Marvin Morgan are held in high regard.

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
I don't think he will win The SP on his own, no way. Good passer of the ball , but if he's having a bad game it's really bad. Physicality let's him down a fair bit aswell.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
LeonTheGreen":3tshcsuh said:
I don't think he will win The SP on his own, no way. Good passer of the ball , but if he's having a bad game it's really bad. Physicality let's him down a fair bit aswell.
What is SP Leon?

P

Paul_Roberts

MannameadGreen":2f8hlapo said:
If Young does fail, it's not because of a lack of ability. It's because of the attitudes of many on here that players can't succeed if they're not physically gifted.

On the continent, a player like Young would be so highly valued. In England, we value physicality over skill - players like Marvin Morgan are held in high regard.

I really don't understand this argument.

How do you explain David Silva, Santi Cazorla, Juan Mata, Raheem Sterling, Eden Hazard, Daniel Sturridge and so on?
All skillful players with little physicality, yet all immensely valued and held in high regard.

If you're just talking about League Two level you may well be right, but if a player is skillful enough then he will be given a chance. Young made, what, 100 appearances for Argyle? He was given one hell of a chance to make an impression, but didn't do enough and was rightly released.

And to say Young would be valued on the continent is rhetoric that you could never prove. Personally, I think he gave the ball away far too often from both open play and set pieces to be highly valued at a decent level in any country.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
MannameadGreen":y221ddqe said:

Ah that's good then, we made the right call releasing him if he was always destined to fail at a backwards English club like ourselves who are completely incapable of getting the best out of "technically gifted" players like Young.

Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
MannameadGreen said:

I can see the point you make but have to disagree.

Martin Barlow and Craig Noone are just 2 examples of players who succeeded without possessing huge physical attributes. If your good enough you will succeed no matter how leightweight you are and there is the problem

Last season should have been Luke Youngs breakthrough season. The season when he went from cameo sub appearances and small runs in the team to cementing himself into a position and becoming a fixture. Despite playing on the best pitch in the league and with only Blizzard, Boco and Wotton as alternatives he never produced anything like the form to persuade the manager to pick him regularly let alone give him a new deal. Brief glimpses of his undoubted talent where all we got.

Sheridan probably weighed up the pros ( intelligent passer,good free kicks) against the cons ( hughly inconsistent, easily over run) and cut his losses and I can't blame him.
Nelsons a prime example of a young lad of similar age with the same number of games behind him who's now a fixture in the team.

maybe if he does indeed go to Torquay then would of been an argument to giving him a 1 year deal and loaning him to them for the whole year but In a era when the budget has to be used wisely Luke Young is luxury Sheridan couldn't afford.

Apr 1, 2009
MannameadGreen":10jn538p said:

So if Luke Young fails, it's down to "the attitudes of many on here"? Sorry, but that is absolute rubbish. You may have a point in terms of English football managers seeking bigger, more physical players, but the "many on here" would not be responsible if LY failed.

If, as you claim, LY would be "so highly valued" on the continent, there's a simple solution for him. Go and play on the continent and reap the rewards. If at his age my skills (in whatever field) had been more "highly valued" abroad, I would have been off like a shot.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Andy in Peverell":3gnljtqw said:
MannameadGreen":3gnljtqw said:

I can see the point you make but have to disagree.

Martin Barlow and Craig Noone are just 2 examples of players who succeeded without possessing huge physical attributes. If your good enough you will succeed no matter how leightweight you are and there is the problem

Last season should have been Luke Youngs breakthrough season. The season when he went from cameo sub appearances and small runs in the team to cementing himself into a position and becoming a fixture. Despite playing on the best pitch in the league and with only Blizzard, Boco and Wotton as alternatives he never produced anything like the form to persuade the manager to pick him regularly let alone give him a new deal. Brief glimpses of his undoubted talent where all we got.

Sheridan probably weighed up the pros ( intelligent passer,good free kicks) against the cons ( hughly inconsistent, easily over run) and cut his losses and I can't blame him.
Nelsons a prime example of a young lad of similar age with the same number of games behind him who's now a fixture in the team.

maybe if he does indeed go to Torquay then would have been an argument to giving him a 1 year deal and loaning him to them for the whole year but In a era when the budget has to be used wisely Luke Young is luxury Sheridan couldn't afford.

This is exactly how I see it, so you must be right! Good luck to Luke but he was never going to make it in a promotion-chasing team

G

Gull9

Really pleased we have Luke Young signing on a 2 year deal. We need something to brighten up the fan-base after the season we have just had and this definitely helps! We did not have a midfielder at the club who could pass wind last year so he is very welcomed!

It was a real shock Sheridan let him go (especially at his age). Even if Sheridan was convinced he does not fit his plans I would have thought if you had offered terms you might have got a fee for him (and if not at least a percentage sell on clause!).

I know some of you see him leaving as a loss and I am pleased this seems to be our gain!

Hope we return to League football soon and should you still be in League 2 (if/when) we return I look forward to the Home Park visit.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Luke had enquiries from a couple of clubs apparently, one North and one East, but have a feeling he wanted to be near his home and his family.

Lovely lad, smashing bloke and hope it all ends up well for him.

Dec 6, 2012
Plymouth, England, PL2 3HG
IJN":3d7q2vm8 said:
Luke had enquiries from a couple of clubs apparently, one North and one East, but have a feeling he wanted to be near his home and his family.

Lovely lad, smashing bloke and hope it all ends up well for him.
Unlikely to have had offers from clubs South or West :lol:

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
I really liked the look of him when he first arrived on the scene, shame it didn't quite work out for him in the end. Let's hope he makes a good account of himself at Torquay.