Luke Young | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Luke Young

Jul 6, 2011
AJAX_66":clenw18d said:
oddball":clenw18d said:
Luke may be a good passer now and then, but then again not that consistent,as against Wimbledon he was pretty poor.Not a significant midfielder in that he is not a dominant figure,in that he is not that strong in the air,nor is he that aggressive on the ground,in fact easily barged over,outplayed,and doesn't control the midfield,lilian niallis he is not.....apologies to the fan club,,,,,,,,,

Totally agree with Oddball, we need a much more aggressive presence in midfield. Too many times this season we have been overrun in midfield. Hourihane is the playmaker, we need to find a ball winner especially the second balls. I've watched countless times the loose ball being uncontested in the middle of the park thus putting the opposition on the front foot and us conceding sloppy goals.

Looking into football history I would say we need a 'Billy Bremner' type player to beef up our midfield. Thought we had it when Blizzard was signed on, but he seems a bit powder-puff 70% of the time. Wottsey was a decent stop gap, but his best years are definitely behind him, I think even he would agree with that.
Maybe it is time to put the feelers out and see what the possibility is of a Lee Cox type of player being available.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
briangreen":2q2n582a said:
AJAX_66":2q2n582a said:
oddball":2q2n582a said:
Luke may be a good passer now and then, but then again not that consistent,as against Wimbledon he was pretty poor.Not a significant midfielder in that he is not a dominant figure,in that he is not that strong in the air,nor is he that aggressive on the ground,in fact easily barged over,outplayed,and doesn't control the midfield,lilian niallis he is not.....apologies to the fan club,,,,,,,,,

Totally agree with Oddball, we need a much more aggressive presence in midfield. Too many times this season we have been overrun in midfield. Hourihane is the playmaker, we need to find a ball winner especially the second balls. I've watched countless times the loose ball being uncontested in the middle of the park thus putting the opposition on the front foot and us conceding sloppy goals.

Looking into football history I would say we need a 'Billy Bremner' type player to beef up our midfield. Thought we had it when Blizzard was signed on, but he seems a bit powder-puff 70% of the time. Wottsey was a decent stop gap, but his best years are definitely behind him, I think even he would agree with that.
Maybe it is time to put the feelers out and see what the possibility is of a Lee Cox type of player being available.

Lee Cox perhaps? :)

Jul 6, 2011
Emu":xm2g8tzs said:
briangreen":xm2g8tzs said:
AJAX_66":xm2g8tzs said:
oddball":xm2g8tzs said:

Lee Cox perhaps? :)

That's the one :thumbup:
Going by available statistics he's only played a couple of times for Swindon this year, maybe unfit or hopefully out of favour.

Feb 21, 2011
Big Ears":2r9yc5l0 said:
Luke offers more to the team than Connor.
I like Luke but Conor is a better player overall, I'd play them both in a midfield five and sign a ball winning nasty bugger in the summer to sit between them. Something that Blizzard isn't and Wotton is becoming to old for.

He's not a right-winger.

When he plays in the middle he can influence a game with his passing and creativity. He's not strong but he is combative. He should be the 'deep-lying playmaker' in a 4-2-3-1 type formation - with the ball at his feet most often of any player. He's capable of short, possession passes, longer, expansive passes and chance creation. The issue is that he's either been paired with Blizzard who isn't good enough or Hourihane who is an attacking midfield player. Get a real defensive midfielder like Lee Cox alongside him and he'll be the metronome for all of our attacks.

I don't agree with putting the best passer of the ball at the club on the wing. Hourihane's more of a winger than Young.

M

Magpiegull

Strong rumour in Torquay tonight is that Luke Young is about to sign for the Gulls. Is this a good signing for Torquay's first season back in the Conference?

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
I guess it was always going to happen! He's dropped a division, which I expected, but without moving far. In answer to your question, I think it's a great signing.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Magpiegull":2aj0my7m said:
Strong rumour in Torquay tonight is that Luke Young is about to sign for the Gulls. Is this a good signing for Torquay's first season back in the Conference?
Phenomenal talent for Conference level. Fantastic with the ball at his feet- even better than most in league two.

His weakness is physicality. Non league refs will allow him to be bashed about and nobbled in a bad way. Play him in a role where he's given space/time and he'll probably win you promotion by himself. Play him in the middle of a gritty 4-4-2 and he might struggle.

It all depends what Hargreaves' vision is but it has the potential to be a fantastic signing for you. Such a good signing in fact that (no offence) I'm a bit disappointed that you're the best offer he's got/best offer he's taken up.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Too good for the conference. Really. Luke is physically weak to be a dominant midfielder,great passer yes,but physically weak...

Jun 8, 2014
oddball":39ns4smn said:
Too good for the conference. Really. Luke is physically weak to be a dominant midfielder,great passer yes,but physically weak...

Eh? So physicality stops him from being good does it? Sorry, find me a better passer of the ball in this league, let alone the conference.

You can train someone up physically, make them bigger and stronger (though some make it seem as though he never had any influence on games despute being very good in the first half of the season) but you'll never teach players who aren't gifted with the ball at their feet the sort of technical ability LY has.

We have no replacement for Hourihane, what if he's injured? We'll get the thrilling parnership of Blizzard an Cox. Still would have kept Young as an impact/squad player if nothing else. IMO ina 352 we played, the CM trio would have been best made of him, Blizzard and Hourihane with the players we had available.

I'm still gutted he left, but I'll move on now.. Grudgingly.

Apr 12, 2013
Plymouth
oddball":39z5ebfu said:
I guess you don't rate luke young either. What level do you think he is personally then Sunday league :facepalm: