Mansfield v Argyle match thread & chatroom | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mansfield v Argyle match thread & chatroom

Nov 15, 2014
I'm disappointed but not surprised by the result today, on reflection. Was hoping for so much better, as we all were.

Gutted by the away support crowd trouble though. Hopefully it was a small minority that did not spoil it for the rest of our other supporters that paid good money to watch football. Very unlucky if you turned up for that match today, which is not how it should be whilst supporting the Greens.

Mar 14, 2009
Steve.PAFC2012":2kcrl4tp said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2kcrl4tp said:
derbygreen":2kcrl4tp said:
I was really hoping for at least a point today. Come on GREENS!

Or maybe the trouble is we were EXPECTING at least a point.... I suppose when results pick up so does your hopes.

I know are in a good league position but I've never been convinced we are one of the top sides because of

1. Unable to come from behind and win games

2. No goals from midfield

3. When 3-5-2 doesn't work, we don't play well with any other formation - mainly due to lack of width and wingers/wide men in the squad

4. We don't play that well away from home. Our general play seems to be scrappy and any decent spells in games are brief.

People were getting carried away about promotion. We are much better than we have been in years because of the better players we have but there are glaring reasons why games like today keeping on occurring!
:yawn:

I'm sure you only come on here when we lose

Not at all, lol. I said last week what a good performance that was.

Yet, I have stated even when we were winning the same concerns and its days like today they unfortunately come to fruition. You understandably don't like what I say. Fair enough. Yet I am a season ticket holder so I say what I see. I do this with players too, like Luke Summerfield. He was never good enough. You may not call it not supporting the team but at the end of the day its better than kidding yourself about what we really have here.

If this team gets automatic promotion at the end of the season then I will hold my hands up and say fair play, I was wrong. Yet Sherdian's get out of jail card currently is the 3-5-2 and when it doesn't work we don't have a plan B. I look at the managers in this league on a lot less resources and think they would love to have the budget Sheridan has and the ability to dip into the loan market as much as he does.

I will leave you with one thought. Sheridan stated at the start of the season he wanted a small squad, with a good level of pedigree. He initially recruited this way but as the start of the season unfolded our squad has got bigger. Look at how many loans he has used already. We could see at the start of pre-season we had a huge left-back issue and even now we Kellet, who is an good player, he has a player more suited to an LM position than a LB position which is why 4 at the back is still really not an option. It takes him ages to spot issues. He forever keeps putting players in wrong positions (eg McHugh) at the start of the season. I could go on but I will get that Im a negative fan etc.... when actually I am a fan who cares passionately but just is bemused why all these tactical errors seem to be overlooked so easily.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":34txsyqu said:
Steve.PAFC2012":34txsyqu said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":34txsyqu said:
derbygreen":34txsyqu said:

Or maybe the trouble is we were EXPECTING at least a point.... I suppose when results pick up so does your hopes.

I know are in a good league position but I've never been convinced we are one of the top sides because of

3. When 3-5-2 doesn't work, we don't play well with any other formation - mainly due to lack of width and wingers/wide men in the squad

4. We don't play that well away from home. Our general play seems to be scrappy and any decent spells in games are brief.

People were getting carried away about promotion. We are much better than we have been in years because of the better players we have but there are glaring reasons why games like today keeping on occurring!

Yet, I have stated even when we were winning the same concerns and its days like today they unfortunately come to fruition. You understandably don't like what I say. Fair enough. Yet I am a season ticket holder so I say what I see. I do this with players too, like Luke Summerfield. He was never good enough. You may not call it not supporting the team but at the end of the day its better than kidding yourself about what we really have here.

If this team gets automatic promotion at the end of the season then I will hold my hands up and say fair play, I was wrong. Yet Sherdian's get out of jail card currently is the 3-5-2 and when it doesn't work we don't have a plan B. I look at the managers in this league on a lot less resources and think they would love to have the budget Sheridan has and the ability to dip into the loan market as much as he does.

I will leave you with one thought. Sheridan stated at the start of the season he wanted a small squad, with a good level of pedigree. He initially recruited this way but as the start of the season unfolded our squad has got bigger. Look at how many loans he has used already. We could see at the start of pre-season we had a huge left-back issue and even now we Kellet, who is an good player, he has a player more suited to an LM position than a LB position which is why 4 at the back is still really not an option. It takes him ages to spot issues. He forever keeps putting players in wrong positions (eg McHugh) at the start of the season. I could go on but I will get that Im a negative fan etc.... when actually I am a fan who cares passionately but just is bemused why all these tactical errors seem to be overlooked so easily.
I do enjoy reading your posts to be fair, it's just that I only ever seem to see them when we've lost. Maybe its just me haha.

Apologies.

Mar 14, 2009
X Isle":11bavue2 said:
PilgrimLew":11bavue2 said:
Going to give Pasoti a miss tonight see you chaps in a couple days....

Yup, last week we conducted ourselves fantastically both on and off the pitch as a club. This week brings the ying to that yang.

We'll lose games, that's inevitable, I can rationalise that but few others will.

I thought we'd ditched the chugnut f*ckwits in the stands that attached themselves to Argyle on their travels though, that I can't shrug off so easily. Wanchors.

Both issues however will cause the site to disappear up it's own 'arris til Monday morning so I'll join you at the bar Lew, my round, whatya 'avin?

Maybe I'm naïve about this but we always have had some real "idiot" fans.

We have the Argyle supporters who only turn up for the "EXETER" game. They don't care about Argyle but they identify themselves as part of US.

The away support I thought has always been good. Yet again, you always get that minority who think they can do whatever they like. Its not just an Argyle problem. Not even just a footballing issue. Yet its a society problem that unfortunately has lead people to believe if the act tough and thuggish they can do what they want and get away with it. Nobody stands up to it because the ordinary people are nervous about confronting a gang because they either get beaten up or a weapon, like a knife, pulled on them. Its how a thug reacts because they aren't smart enough to do anything else.

We have always had our "idiot fans" because in their heads a good day out is having way too much drink that they can handle and beating the crap out of someone. Its sad, but true. Football sometimes is to blame as it just views them as another "paying customer" when really you want you club to take a stance. Trouble is all clubs crave for is money.

Dec 20, 2011
I don't get the argyle fans fighting each other bit?? Since when has that happened? Cornwall v Devon. Efford v Swilly. What's going on. Or was it Mansfield fans in the away end.

P

Paul_Roberts

John Eldridge":3k4kq46f said:
I don't get the argyle fans fighting each other bit?? Since when has that happened? Cornwall v Devon. Efford v Swilly. What's going on. Or was it Mansfield fans in the away end.

When you've only got one brain cell it doesn't really matter who you fight.

G

Greenskin

Metal_Green_Mickey":1qrrred9 said:
Steve.PAFC2012":1qrrred9 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":1qrrred9 said:
derbygreen":1qrrred9 said:

If this team gets automatic promotion at the end of the season then I will hold my hands up and say fair play, I was wrong. Yet Sherdian's get out of jail card currently is the 3-5-2 and when it doesn't work we don't have a plan B. I look at the managers in this league on a lot less resources and think they would love to have the budget Sheridan has and the ability to dip into the loan market as much as he does.I will leave you with one thought. Sheridan stated at the start of the season he wanted a small squad, with a good level of pedigree. He initially recruited this way but as the start of the season unfolded our squad has got bigger. Look at how many loans he has used already. We could see at the start of pre-season we had a huge left-back issue and even now we Kellet, who is an good player, he has a player more suited to an LM position than a LB position which is why 4 at the back is still really not an option. It takes him ages to spot issues. He forever keeps putting players in wrong positions (eg McHugh) at the start of the season. I could go on but I will get that Im a negative fan etc.... when actually I am a fan who cares passionately but just is bemused why all these tactical errors seem to be overlooked so easily.

What makes you say that automatic promotion should be the criteria by which Sheridan should be judged when James Brent said [I think it was at a meeting at Bodmin, not sure] that Argyle were operating on a budget which was between the 7th and 9th biggest in the division?

P

pafcstafford

Paul_Roberts":1xeoeea1 said:
John Eldridge":1xeoeea1 said:

When you've only got one brain cell it doesn't really matter who you fight.

No it was Plymouth fighting police mate after the old bill tried to snatch a bloke out by doing their very best to break his neck could all of been.avoided.

Mar 14, 2009
Greenskin":xf9emuhg said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":xf9emuhg said:
Steve.PAFC2012":xf9emuhg said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":xf9emuhg said:
derbygreen":xf9emuhg said:

If this team gets automatic promotion at the end of the season then I will hold my hands up and say fair play, I was wrong. Yet Sherdian's get out of jail card currently is the 3-5-2 and when it doesn't work we don't have a plan B. I look at the managers in this league on a lot less resources and think they would love to have the budget Sheridan has and the ability to dip into the loan market as much as he does.I will leave you with one thought. Sheridan stated at the start of the season he wanted a small squad, with a good level of pedigree. He initially recruited this way but as the start of the season unfolded our squad has got bigger. Look at how many loans he has used already. We could see at the start of pre-season we had a huge left-back issue and even now we Kellet, who is an good player, he has a player more suited to an LM position than a LB position which is why 4 at the back is still really not an option. It takes him ages to spot issues. He forever keeps putting players in wrong positions (eg McHugh) at the start of the season. I could go on but I will get that Im a negative fan etc.... when actually I am a fan who cares passionately but just is bemused why all these tactical errors seem to be overlooked so easily.

What makes you say that automatic promotion should be the criteria by which Sheridan should be judged when James Brent said [I think it was at a meeting at Bodmin, not sure] that Argyle were operating on a budget which was between the 7th and 9th biggest in the division?

I didn't. I said if the team gets automatic promotion, which is what I feel other Argyle fans probably feel we are in with a chance, then I will admit I was wrong to have a go at Sherdian. I think we will finish between 7th - 11th. However, I do believe he isn't that good as a tactical manager. The quality of players he has brought in has helped cover up his tactical flaws as a manager. I also question the role of certain coaches like McCarthy who under Paul Jewell at Ipswich were a complete disaster. I see the way we pass a football at times and its woeful.

I judge him based on other managers, like Tisdale, with next to no resources, who get a team playing football and are only currently 3pt behind Argyle. That to me is someone doing a good job. With Sherdian it seems if there is a problem with the team the way to fix it is get another loan player in. If he think Tyler Harvey is a midfielder, even an attacking one at that, then it makes me believe he doesn't know a players best position.

G

Greenskin

Metal_Green_Mickey":1tc51oiw said:
Greenskin":1tc51oiw said:
Steve.PAFC2012":1tc51oiw said:
derbygreen":1tc51oiw said:

I didn't. I said if the team gets automatic promotion, which is what I feel other Argyle fans probably feel we are in with a chance, then I will admit I was wrong to have a go at Sherdian. I think we will finish between 7th - 11th. However, I do believe he isn't that good as a tactical manager. The quality of players he has brought in has helped cover up his tactical flaws as a manager. I also question the role of certain coaches like McCarthy who under Paul Jewell at Ipswich were a complete disaster. I see the way we pass a football at times and its woeful.

I judge him based on other managers, like Tisdale, with next to no resources, who get a team playing football and are only currently 3pt behind Argyle. That to me is someone doing a good job. With Sherdian it seems if there is a problem with the team the way to fix it is get another loan player in. If he think Tyler Harvey is a midfielder, even an attacking one at that, then it makes me believe he doesn't know a players best position.

You could say that about any manager in history in all truth. Why did Ferguson struggle at Manchester United [in comparative terms] when he first went there? I would say that it was because he shaped and moulded his squad in the way that he wanted, not because he suddenly became a tactical genius. There would be hundreds of other examples in football history-I believe that Warnock has a reputation within football for not being the most astute tactician or coach, hasn't stopped him from being successful though. I totally agree about the lack of goals from midfield and this has been a problem which has plagued Argyle long before Sheridan came here-in fact since the sale of Buzz, Norris ,Halmosi etc. Argyle have not had a productive goalscoring midfield since that time, no matter what the level, and the previous records of the players currently on the books don't give cause for optimism. Obviously Hourihane would have helped considerably this season but Argyle are apparently now incapable of keeping their best talent even in the fourth division, so that particular avenue of production was soon blocked off and players of that quality don't come cheap-maybe the manager has cut his cloth accordingly in the tactics employed. Anyway, let's hope that all of this debate will be looked upon as just the reaction to a disappointing defeat in the next few weeks.