Meet The Manager Q&A Monday 27th July 7pm At Home Park | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Meet The Manager Q&A Monday 27th July 7pm At Home Park

Mar 14, 2009
MannameadGreen":1m54ufm7 said:
Adams was asked "do you think the strike force is deep enough?"

He replied "it's as deep as I can afford, there's a difference"

Last year we had Reuben and Lewi scoring most of the goals. I just don't remember that many from midfield.

This year we have Reuben and JJ up top. Plus we have Wylde, Carney Simpson and The "mini-beast".

Off the bench you got Brunt as an option.

Last year it didn't matter who played in midfield as they never got forward enough to score. That the difference. We could of had the best midfield ever who love to score goals, yet under the 5-3-2 system they wouldn't of got in support of our forwards because they were too busy sitting deep helping the back 5.

Basically, we scored goals despite of our tactics, so I would imagine we can still do fairly well even if the depth isn't quite there.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
He definitely implied that he'd like to have more strikers.

I think he likes to attack, attack, attack.

C

Cobi Budge.

For those not there:

1. Derek spoke about how he wants to play attacking football and excite fans, he conceded that we will concede more goals this season but that we will also score more.

2. Derek hasn't yet had a pasty, met with gasps from those there :lol:

3. When questioned about having players on 1 year deals, he said "why should players deserve 2 year deals at a club like this, they won't be hungry in the first year, they have to work for the 2nd year.

4. Tyler Harvey will play when and if he proves himself in training.

5. Derek believes the problem with youth development is the transition between the youth ranks and the first team, the answer is competitive reserve team football.

6. I asked him about our inability to come from behind over recent seasons, he said the solution was to be more fluid with formation and not to be frightened to commit players upfield.

7. He made out that he wasn't fond of the 352, saying it too often becomes 532, and in that situation you will struggle to commit players forward.

8. He mentioned that he is constrained within the budget and that while he wants more cover, he can't afford it.

9. He will look to bring in a couple more loanees but he said he won't use the loan system to the extent the previous manager did. He has been looking at Reading players but says he can't comment further.

10. When questioned about Sheridan saying it was hard to attract players to the club, he said he hasn't found it to be an issue and that all of the player he's spoken with have wanted to come to the club.

11. AOC's wages are being used to have Boateng.

12. Derek lives in the city and rents a house, he is enjoying his time in the city.

13. Believes we need to take advantage of our excellent surface and not to allow teams to dominate possession.

14. Wants the fans to be standing, passionate and vocal. Says he would have no reservations about moving the dugouts to the Lyndhurst.

15. His sole aim is to finish higher than we did last season.

17. Concedes there have been some defensive issues but it's down to the transition from a back 3/5 to a back 4 and the spacial awareness issues that come with it. He's confident it will soon be resolved.

18. Fans will occasionally be able to watch training but not on a weekly basis, he doesn't want his tactics ending up on YouTube or with opposition scouts.

19. He said "I want to be at Argyle for as long as the fans want me here, if I can be here for the long haul, I will be".

20. Thinks England will win the qualifying group and that Scotland will struggle.

A good (but cold and damp) evening, DA was happy to banter with fans and have a laugh, stayed behind to take photos and sign autographs at the end.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Thanks Cobi. An excellent and informative post.

Mar 14, 2009
Looking at Boateng for AOC, if he turns out to be as good as he looked on Saturday then its money well spent.

I still have a hunch about Simpson though being our most important signing. On Saturday he wasn't a stand out player at all. Yet when he had the ball he played the right pass and at the right weight to the receiving player. Stuff like this goes unnoticed.

Thanks for the review Cobi :thumbs:

C

Cobi Budge.

No worries guys. Hope for more events like this. Great for fan engagement.

C

Cobi Budge.

No worries, I'd say 70ish. And Ian is spot on, it was bloody cold.

Jul 12, 2011
Mountwise Plymouth
Thanks for the info Cobi, makes a change that people aren't moaning at you.

Wasn't able to go tonight so hope there will be more events like these again.