Meet The Manager Q&A Monday 27th July 7pm At Home Park | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Meet The Manager Q&A Monday 27th July 7pm At Home Park

Jun 27, 2006
Cornwall
There were about 400 at the meeting, I'd guess. The overwhelming feeling for me was that in DA we have a real manager; someone who is tactically astute, passionate about his job, a meticulous planner, hugely self confident and ambitious, outgoing and a real believer in the concept that the club as a whole and the fan base are fundamental elements in what he is looking to achieve. As someone stated, a breath of fresh air. He wants the crowd to make Home Park an intimidating place to come to and is dedicated to playing attractive, attacking football that gives people a reason to come to matches. I was very impressed and am really looking forward to the new season for first time in years.

C

Cobi Budge.

I agree with all you've said there bar your attendance estimate of 400, that's wildly wrong IMO. I'd be surprised if there was over 120.

C

Cobi Budge.

LG":12d4zikw said:
Thanks for the update Cobi.
How does this evenings attendance compare to similar events of this sort in the past?

I went to last seasons with JS, which in fairness was quite good. Just much more upbeat this evening and DA, unlike JS, goes into depth about formation and tactics etc.

C

Cobi Budge.

Glynn":34dav9vs said:
Thanks for the info Cobi, makes a change that people aren't moaning at you.

Wasn't able to go tonight so hope there will be more events like these again.

Welcome Glynn and yep, could get used to this :lol:

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Dr Green":1ejtyjyc said:
There were about 400 at the meeting, I'd guess. The overwhelming feeling for me was that in DA we have a real manager; someone who is tactically astute, passionate about his job, a meticulous planner, hugely self confident and ambitious, outgoing and a real believer in the concept that the club as a whole and the fan base are fundamental elements in what he is looking to achieve. As someone stated, a breath of fresh air. He wants the crowd to make Home Park an intimidating place to come to and is dedicated to playing attractive, attacking football that gives people a reason to come to matches. I was very impressed and am really looking forward to the new season for first time in years.

Me too,very impressed and am looking forward to the new season when I will be starting with corporate at Wimbledon.As for attendance well, there was more than 70 thats for sure,probably that number of questions,but many more fans than that were there...probably 120 give or take.....Good summing up by Cobi..

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Thank you, Cobi.

Glad to hear we have a manager who might value the key ingredient for most of the customers, entertainment.

The one year hunger thing is overthinking it, IMHO. Footballers play well or poorly for many reasons, a bit of promisory paper or absence of it isn't the primary factor. But if the hunger 'game' is accepted by agents, so be it. The lower league business needs to implement these bold measures.

Metal_Green_Mickey":b47yyto9 said:
Stuff like this goes unnoticed.

Forever some who notice stuff the manager doesn't eh. At ease, PASOTI. :)

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
There seem to be quite a few factual inaccuracies in some posts on here, but cobi communicates the gist of it well.
Plymouths finest out tonight including a couple who clearly don't listen to others questions and simply repeat and a possible home purchasing/renting stalker

Bit cringy at times but DA seems very astute and switched on, knows when to stop talking, I'm impressed.

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
Cobi Budge.":2bxg2i2t said:
For those not there:

1. Derek spoke about how he wants to play attacking football and excite fans, he conceded that we will concede more goals this season but that we will also score more.

2. Derek hasn't yet had a pasty, met with gasps from those there :lol:

3. When questioned about having players on 1 year deals, he said "why should players deserve 2 year deals at a club like this, they won't be hungry in the first year, they have to work for the 2nd year.

4. Tyler Harvey will play when and if he proves himself in training.

5. Derek believes the problem with youth development is the transition between the youth ranks and the first team, the answer is competitive reserve team football.

6. I asked him about our inability to come from behind over recent seasons, he said the solution was to be more fluid with formation and not to be frightened to commit players upfield.

7. He made out that he wasn't fond of the 352, saying it too often becomes 532, and in that situation you will struggle to commit players forward.

8. He mentioned that he is constrained within the budget and that while he wants more cover, he can't afford it.

9. He will look to bring in a couple more loanees but he said he won't use the loan system to the extent the previous manager did. He has been looking at Reading players but says he can't comment further.

10. When questioned about Sheridan saying it was hard to attract players to the club, he said he hasn't found it to be an issue and that all of the player he's spoken with have wanted to come to the club.

11. AOC's wages are being used to have Boateng.

12. Derek lives in the city and rents a house, he is enjoying his time in the city.

13. Believes we need to take advantage of our excellent surface and not to allow teams to dominate possession.

14. Wants the fans to be standing, passionate and vocal. Says he would have no reservations about moving the dugouts to the Lyndhurst.

15. His sole aim is to finish higher than we did last season.

17. Concedes there have been some defensive issues but it's down to the transition from a back 3/5 to a back 4 and the spacial awareness issues that come with it. He's confident it will soon be resolved.

18. Fans will occasionally be able to watch training but not on a weekly basis, he doesn't want his tactics ending up on YouTube or with opposition scouts.

19. He said "I want to be at Argyle for as long as the fans want me here, if I can be here for the long haul, I will be".

20. Thinks England will win the qualifying group and that Scotland will struggle.

A good (but cold and damp) evening, DA was happy to banter with fans and have a laugh, stayed behind to take photos and sign autographs at the end.

Thanks for the Update Cobi :thumbs:

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Earl Grey...This won't mean nothing to those not there,but the guy asking if they rented or bought was an estate agent....

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Alan, I was joking when I said that. I don't know him from Adam.