Meet The Manager Q&A Monday 27th July 7pm At Home Park | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Meet The Manager Q&A Monday 27th July 7pm At Home Park

IJN":3hgkflvq said:
spowell92":3hgkflvq said:
Knarf Reprah":3hgkflvq said:
Tugboat":3hgkflvq said:
Seems as thou this seasons budget may be a bit less than last for whatever reason.
prudency, do you really want a repeat of the Stapleton years?

Why so prudent now though and not as prudent during Sheridan's reign? It does seem that the squad size has shrunk and before the quality > quantity argument rears its head, we were told last season under Shez was quality > quantity too.

IJN":3hgkflvq said:
He definitely implied that he'd like to have more strikers.

I think he likes to attack, attack, attack.

You can sympathise with him on this as only one of his five and half strikers are of his choosing, but he's inherited one of the divisions best in Reuben so its not the weakest spot in this squad.

It seems as if the budget was the same as last year but DA has bought better players that want more wages.

He also mentioned that he had no problems getting players down and everyone he had asked has come, with no refusals so that would also back up the 'better wage' theory.

True. I think it also backs up the better leadership theory. Players will surely follow leaders they are convinced are going to produce success.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
IJN":206w7krt said:
spowell92":206w7krt said:
Knarf Reprah":206w7krt said:
Tugboat":206w7krt said:
Seems as thou this seasons budget may be a bit less than last for whatever reason.
prudency, do you really want a repeat of the Stapleton years?

Why so prudent now though and not as prudent during Sheridan's reign? It does seem that the squad size has shrunk and before the quality > quantity argument rears its head, we were told last season under Shez was quality > quantity too.

IJN":206w7krt said:
He definitely implied that he'd like to have more strikers.

I think he likes to attack, attack, attack.

You can sympathise with him on this as only one of his five and half strikers are of his choosing, but he's inherited one of the divisions best in Reuben so its not the weakest spot in this squad.

It seems as if the budget was the same as last year but DA has bought better players that want more wages.

He also mentioned that he had no problems getting players down and everyone he had asked has come, with no refusals so that would also back up the 'better wage' theory.

I don't quite see how that could be. Its possible, but the careers of Simpson, Jervis, Carey and Sawyer hardly justify much more than say Hartley, Morgan, Blizzard, Mellor...

Wylde on the other hand, perhaps as he's played at some fairly profile clubs, but even then a club the size of St Mirren found him affordable.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Perhaps it's nothing to do with the 'careers' but the skill levels. As for Hartley, you and I have no idea what pay he earns but I would wager he's one of our highest.

From what I've seen I'd certainly want to see Jervis more than Morgan and we have yet to see if Blizzard's replacement will bring more to the team, thought I would suggest it's hard not to.

You can maintain your stance about a lower budget than last year Sam, but try not to mould the debate around dodgy supposition it devalues the argument IMHO.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Graham Clark":38txi0i5 said:
Derek Adams gave a straight talking performance that was honest, determined, passionate and clear in aspiration. As others have intimated he is to run with what we have now with the possibility of a loan signing or two before the season begins. There is no more playing budget for permanent signings and he is aware that it is consequentially a small squad that may be prone to injury or suspension. I sense he has preferred quality over quantity. Put simply he told it as it is.

He believes he has the players to adapt tactically, be it 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, a diamond in midfield and even a lopsided diamond ( what ever that is). The formation will change according to who we are playing and to suit the game at the time. He considered 3-5-2 to be too defensive. He wants to attack, press from the front and get 4 or 5 players into the box. He wants to be quick on the break. I am told he is meticulous and organised in his preparation whether it be for a training session or a game itself. The team are on double sessions for their pre-season. He is also open to fans watching training at pre-arranged times.

It is clear he can 'talk the talk' and only time will tell whether he can 'walk the walk'. Performances on the pitch will ultimately determine his fate and whether he will be taken into our hearts. He has made an impressive start and understands what is necessary to build a football club and take it forward within budgetary constraints. I think we are in for a rather exciting time.

Graham

Spot on he certainly can talk the the talk and he is a very focused guy, he wants everybody at the club working towards the same goal, time will tell if he walksthe walks first impressions are that he will do well although constraints of the budget may have (hopefully not) a negative effect with such a small squad.

G

Greenskin

IJN":1s6n77ey said:
Perhaps it's nothing to do with the 'careers' but the skill levels. As for Hartley, you and I have no idea what pay he earns but I would wager he's one of our highest.

From what I've seen I'd certainly want to see Jervis more than Morgan and we have yet to see if Blizzard's replacement will bring more to the team, thought I would suggest it's hard not to.

You can maintain your stance about a lower budget than last year Sam, but try not to mould the debate around dodgy supposition it devalues the argument IMHO.

Interlinked surely? The careers of the players brought in so far give no indication that they are any better equipped to execute the most important skill of all, namely putting the ball in the net on a reasonably frequent basis, than the players still in the squad or those who have departed. And that , in spite of all the bullshine talked in various quarters about tactics or the manager not jumping up and down like a dervish with nettle rash, was the real reason why Argyle didn't go up last season.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
Thanks to Cobi for the report back to the rest of us - much appreciated. Not going to get too excited yet (I remember Sheridan giving good replies at these things), but encouraging signs. I espect it will take time to gel though.

Dec 2, 2005
London
spowell92":2r0fjtiy said:
I don't quite see how that could be. Its possible, but the careers of Simpson, Jervis, Carey and Sawyer hardly justify much more than say Hartley, Morgan, Blizzard, Mellor...

Wylde on the other hand, perhaps as he's played at some fairly profile clubs, but even then a club the size of St Mirren found him affordable.

What have Hartley and Mellor got to do with it? Their contracts are the same as last year so make no difference.

This is the list we should be comparing:

Defenders
In: Gary Sawyer.
Out: Gethin Jones (loan), Tareiq Holmes-Dennis (loan), Jamie Richards, Paul Wotton.

Midfielders
In: Josh Simpson, Hiram Boateng (loan), Graham Carey, Gregg Wylde, Callum Hall.
Out: Anthony O'Connor, Dominic Blizzard, Oliver Norburn, Bobby Reid (loan), River Allen, Jason Banton, Matt Lecointe.

Forwards
In: Jake Jervis, Louis Rooney
Out: Marvin Morgan, Lewis Alessandra, Zak Ansah (loan).

I'd say the jury is still out depending on what loans we get in before the season starts.

(I've probably missed someone. Be nice when you say who)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Greenskin":b9baukdn said:
IJN":b9baukdn said:

Interlinked surely? The careers of the players brought in so far give no indication that they are any better equipped to execute the most important skill of all, namely putting the ball in the net on a reasonably frequent basis, than the players still in the squad or those who have departed. And that , in spite of all the bullshine talked in various quarters about tactics or the manager not jumping up and down like a dervish with nettle rash, was the real reason why Argyle didn't go up last season.

That's exactly what the Manager said last night Mr Skin.

It was very noticeable when he was asked (a few times) about our lamentable record about fighting back from behind, he grimaced as if someone had run their nails down a blackboard. He then said 'Look it's not rocket science is it, if your have 5 or 7 people defending you're not going to score a lot at the other end'.

It's only 'bullshine' if it's talked about and not implemented, which his predecessor was guilty of, I have a feeling that this man firmly believes in 'attack mode'.

I agree with everyone that says 'talk the talk' now 'walk the walk', indeed I said this to Graham last night, but DA does give the impression when he says something he says it because it's what he believes in rather than 'I'll tell them what they want to hear'.

Time will tell, but so far so good.

The ONLY thing that counts is the games against our peers, nothing else. Talk, friendlies, meetings, media etc etc counts for bugger all.

I've put a decent bet on this year, and that's unusual for me. But I have a good feeling about this bloke. I really have.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
PicassoPigeon":1t15vt2k said:
Stuart House":1t15vt2k said:
Yes lets move the Dug outs to the Lyndhurst - great idea! Opposition managers/bench have had it far to easy in recent years.

I don't think you can under estimate how much a good barracking can effect a team! With no one on the mayflower they sit there too comfortable.

Ok so we lose a few seats (view) either side but not a big deal with our attendances.

I also thought this was a great idea, they have to move at some point due to the redevelopment :whistle: so why not now.

The only problem with this is those in the Lyndhurst, at the point where the dugouts are likely to be, are the least likely to get involved in strong banter with the opposition.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
LostPilgrim":yuu25t9a said:
spowell92":yuu25t9a said:

What have Hartley and Mellor got to do with it? Their contracts are the same as last year so make no difference.

This is the list we should be comparing:

Defenders
In: Gary Sawyer.
Out: Gethin Jones (loan), Tareiq Holmes-Dennis (loan), Jamie Richards, Paul Wotton.

Midfielders
In: Josh Simpson, Hiram Boateng (loan), Graham Carey, Gregg Wylde, Callum Hall.
Out: Anthony O'Connor, Dominic Blizzard, Oliver Norburn, Bobby Reid (loan), River Allen, Jason Banton, Matt Lecointe.

Forwards
In: Jake Jervis, Louis Rooney
Out: Marvin Morgan, Lewis Alessandra, Zak Ansah (loan).

I'd say the jury is still out depending on what loans we get in before the season starts.

(I've probably missed someone. Be nice when you say who)

I was trying to raise the point that previous signings under Sheridan are of, at least, the same ilk as our most recent signings. The idea that the new players coming in are much, if any, more expensive than most of Shez' previous incomings just doesn't seem to work out for me.

I think your list there however highlights really well how the squad size has decreased and the budget may have shrunk.

C

chronicgreen

Trev501":3lwxl31t said:
PicassoPigeon":3lwxl31t said:
Stuart House":3lwxl31t said:
Yes lets move the Dug outs to the Lyndhurst - great idea! Opposition managers/bench have had it far to easy in recent years.

I don't think you can under estimate how much a good barracking can effect a team! With no one on the mayflower they sit there too comfortable.

Ok so we lose a few seats (view) either side but not a big deal with our attendances.

I also thought this was a great idea, they have to move at some point due to the redevelopment :whistle: so why not now.

The only problem with this is those in the Lyndhurst, at the point where the dugouts are likely to be, are the least likely to get involved in strong banter with the opposition.

I'd say they're more likely to get involved in 'strong banter' than those stood behind them on the Mayflower, in fact if they moved the away dugout down in front of 14/15 strong banter would be the least of the opposition management teams worries, I don't think D&C police would be too keen on the move though.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'd say you'd be wrong then.

The beasts that stood behind the dugouts were obnoxious and vile.

I loved every minute of it. :lol: