No home pre-season game (update - v Reading U21) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

No home pre-season game (update - v Reading U21)

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Well it seems one home game is guaranteed at least, just not confirmed opponents as of yet. Then we've got ND greens pleased with Bideford game, Plymouth locals still have Elburton, Torquay give fans that way a taste of preseason and Forest Green is only an hour way for me. So the SW has a fairly decent spread of fixtures for our fans to enjoy, most SW based will have something relatively local to them. However I do think it's a great shame to ignore Cornwall in this and I can understand the frustration felt by Liam and Ollie. Cornish fans are an important part of our fanbase and we should have offered them something greater, especially as they missed out last season as well.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
IJN":38ou3zwj said:
Yep not the best PR Liam that's for sure, but I would think they are aware of the annoyance caused.

I would hope so. I can understand there's been a lot of transition within the club this summer that will have affected the friendlies but you'd imagine the club would have realised the importance of home games.

Sep 8, 2013
Yes, I, too, would have welcomed an attractive home fixture but lots of team gelling and system of playing to work out, including possible new formation. So the pre-season games will be of use to the team/squad. And let's all turn up to give our full support against Pompey, which IS most certainly a mouth-watering encounter for our first home league encounter. A home win would restore confidence and enthusiasm, surely.

Sep 6, 2006
spowell92":nry109g9 said:
Well it seems one home game is guaranteed at least, just not confirmed opponents as of yet. Then we've got ND greens pleased with Bideford game, Plymouth locals still have Elburton, Torquay give fans that way a taste of preseason and Forest Green is only an hour way for me. So the SW has a fairly decent spread of fixtures for our fans to enjoy, most SW based will have something relatively local to them. However I do think it's a great shame to ignore Cornwall in this and I can understand the frustration felt by Liam and Ollie. Cornish fans are an important part of our fanbase and we should have offered them something greater, especially as they missed out last season as well.

Its not really the point. Cornwall tour etc. If fans from Cornwall Bideford etc are interested am sure they can get down to Plymouth at some point during the very long season. The point is we are not being tested against quality opposition so when we play a League 2 side its likely to be a bit of a shock to the system. I suspect DA privately is fuming no such fixture has been arranged.

Sep 6, 2006
Knarf Reprah":22wtptc5 said:
Graham Evans":22wtptc5 said:
July 8th and still absolutely nothing . Not very good is it.
so what? As long as the team is prepared for the start of the season who cares?

:facepalm: How are they going to be prepared by playing Elburton Villa? :funny:

Jun 8, 2014
Balham_Green":k9ka39u9 said:
Knarf Reprah":k9ka39u9 said:
Graham Evans":k9ka39u9 said:

How were Swansea prepared for the Premier League by playing us? It's not about results or competition as such it's about fitness, we've got better and tougher tests against Torquay and Forest Green and hopefully against a half decent side at Home Park.

Argyle Nutter

Golf Liaison Officer ⛳️
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
On the sunny side of the street
Be good for the new lads to get a fairly competitive game on the HP pitch as well, its OK training on it but not quite the same as a full game. Like Luggage said it's got a bit extra bounce.

May 22, 2006
According to the latest Herald article, Adams is NOT happy with the set of pre-season friendlies, stating that these things should have been sorted out months ago. And the July 25th date is by no means set in stone yet.

It's a screw-up, no two ways about it. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Sep 6, 2006
Paven":1mnrg5zr said:
Balham_Green":1mnrg5zr said:
Knarf Reprah":1mnrg5zr said:
Graham Evans":1mnrg5zr said:

How were Swansea prepared for the Premier League by playing us? It's not about results or competition as such it's about fitness, we've got better and tougher tests against Torquay and Forest Green and hopefully against a half decent side at Home Park.

So do you think Swansea only played us?! I never said it was about results. if its about fitness why dont they just go out with the Marines on the assault course. Don't think you know what you are talking about.

Mar 14, 2009
If Argyle can find decent opposition for sat 25th then I believe pre-season fixtures wont be so bad as you have Torquay and Forest Green for a good test away from home. The key is sat 25th...

I remember Swansea game very well. You could see McHugh at LB and it was the first concern. You could see what a decent side they were, especially Sigurosson with that quality free kick.

It gives you a glimpse of your team, even against opposition you are much better/worse than and allows you to experiment which I imagine Swansea did with certain players in particular positions! So I dare say Gary Monk learnt a few things that helped him taking him into the new season.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Andrew Owen":3obvk8zx said:
According to the latest Herald article, Adams is NOT happy with the set of pre-season friendlies, stating that these things should have been sorted out months ago. And the July 25th date is by no means set in stone yet.

It's a screw-up, no two ways about it. Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Adams strikes me as very professional in his approach so I not surprised he isn't impressed. Amateurish by Argyle. The Board will recognise he will be his own man. As he says needed sorting in April, so Sheridan and other departures are not to blame.

Herald article

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Metal_Green_Mickey":e7a8do90 said:
If Argyle can find decent opposition for sat 25th then I believe pre-season fixtures wont be so bad as you have Torquay and Forest Green for a good test away from home. The key is sat 25th...

I remember Swansea game very well. You could see McHugh at LB and it was the first concern. You could see what a decent side they were, especially Sigurosson with that quality free kick.

It gives you a glimpse of your team, even against opposition you are much better/worse than and allows you to experiment which I imagine Swansea did with certain players in particular positions! So I dare say Gary Monk learnt a few things that helped him taking him into the new season.

Yeah I thought Jonjo Shelvey was absolutely fantastic! We also signed Alex Bray off the back of that game, although that one didn't work out too well. I also thought that Gomis up front was crap and that he'd struggle in the Prem, but to be fair he found his form by the end of the season.

Nov 2, 2004
ealinggreen":2c4evj16 said:
pilgrimage":2c4evj16 said:
FFS they are looking to get 2 more games. Stop bloody moaning until we know what's happening.

Are you being serious,The manager is more upset than any of us.It is amateur and sums up Argyle in it's present form.

As I said an embarrassing situation and the manager is fuming about it.It is attitudes like yours accepting anything as alright that causes situations like this.Argyle in many ways are being run like a Conferance North club.Behind the scenes need a kick up the arse.

Mar 5, 2006
Ipswich
I am a little worried that Argyle will be a bit underprepared for this season!

With all our friendlies being arranged last minute compared to other clubs we have been left with a few games; all at non league clubs. With no sign of a friendly against higher opposition or even against a rival in our league does this potentially leave the team undercooked and underprepared for the season?

I really hope Adams, Brewster and co get this team whipped into shape but I do have this nagging doubt about how our pre season might unfold.

May 16, 2015
This situation is really mickey-mouse and unprofessional.

Irrespective of whether Sheridan was staying or not , someone should have taken responsibility for this in April. No home game arranged, non league opposition - that's not the best way to go into your opening game.

If I was Derek Adams I would be furious about this but what else do you expect from a club who gave their Manager two weeks to make up his mind whether he wanted to stay or not.

Pathethic !