Passion without Violence | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Passion without Violence

Jan 3, 2013
football-bet-data":31p1sv1k said:
Andy in peverall has it pretty much spot on.

There have been bangers let off previously (I'm not saying this is good) but the situation didn't escalate any further. Searches should have taken place and the game should have kicked off at 12:30.

If you're basing opinion on that video alone it really doesn't tell the full story.

The police who steemed in inflamed a tense situation (remember we'd just gone 2-0 down, the kiosk had now closed on dozens of queuing punters) and they were far too heavey handed. I assume not all of these officers were local? If they were then they should have used a bit more common sense. There was no in fighting between fans, people like me, who've been going for over 25 years and have never been involved in any kind of trouble, just went for a beer, a toilet break and a natter were caught up in a situation where you couldn't get back your seat, you were jammed in from the back, and being pushed, punched and whacked from the front by police. It was totally over the top and unavoidable. Innocent people were ejected and hit and its little wonder that people retaliated.

Lessons should be learnt that 3pm kick offs should be avoided, and people should be thoroughly searched upon entry as you would be attending any music event or international match.
admin .......looks to me like a betting firm trying to get free advertising!see footnote on post above

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
The man is one of our oldest sponsors Frank. Year in and year out he always helps us out running this site.

No one is allowed a free advert, have no fear of that. :twisted:

Jan 3, 2013
IJN":1vfd44zc said:
The man is one of our oldest sponsors Frank. Year in and year out he always helps us out running this site.

No one is allowed a free advert, have no fear of that. :twisted:
I apologise ian just trying to help mate

May 4, 2015
droly":w5j63lfp said:
Jose446":w5j63lfp said:
If I go with my mates then I enjoy the areas of the ground that do still contain some banter.

I enjoyed some good banter on the last 2 away visits with the police and they were friendly and helpful.

I'm all for some banter.

So, let me get this straight. You enjoy a bit of banter?

Oooh I've got my own stalker :D

Fair cop, point taken. Did I mention I don't mind a bit of banter??

Mar 29, 2011
Andy in Peverell":ktwlb96g said:
GreenBin":ktwlb96g said:
Fergy has the situation spot on. And although a good insight, that video is only a snippet of what actually went on. Neither side has come out with any credit.

Absolutely spot on.

A lot of people who weren't there commenting on a video that only shows part of the whole incident.

Tin hat on!!!!

Since the 2nd half of last season someone or a group has sent off smoke bombs/thunder flashes on the concoarse under block 14/15. It must of happened half a dozen times and is always when the crowd is bigger than normal.
I'm no shrinking violet but I find the whole thing annoying, pointless and unnecessary.
Despite cctv, stewards and police always being around no one has been ID'd it seems and predictabley it happened again.
Suddenly 20/30 baton wielding police burst in from outside onto a packed concoarse and immediately shove their way in between the fans. People who were queuing for for drinks, people who were going for a pi$$, people who were just stood there suddenly were getting shoved back into others who couldn't or wouldn't move.
The outcome is the chaotic scenes that can be seen on YouTube.
I'm pretty sure a hell of a lot of those involved went down at halftime with no intention of anything other than sinking a pint or having a pi$$ but reacted to the chaos unfolding as the red mist descended.A non Argyle supporting workmate came for the 1st time and was amazed by the police response. He saw 1 lad get whacked with a baton for simply trying to help up a copper who had fallen over and said the police were crazy.
Surely if they want to arrest the pyro idiots then send in a few plain clothes coppers and mingle with the suspects at half time

There's blame here on BOTH sides.
The planks that set off pyrotechnics( especially after the Paris stadium) are at the root cause of it all and probably enjoyed every second of it but without the aggressive and disproportionate and indiscriminate police response it all simply ends as is done half a dozen times before, as a totally unwanted nuisance

In my time The Lyndhurst has always been home to the more problematic Argyle support and there's no doubt that a lot revelled in the mayhem but to put it bluntly if the police hadn't steamed in to a packed concourse batons raised it would never of escalated to the levels it did.

I'm not defending fans or having a pop at the police. It's just as I saw it

I was caught in a similar situation last season whilst outside the Lyndhurst before the game. I was behind block 8 roughly when an altercation seemed to flare up around block 15 area. A police horse reacted and smashed into my back, cutting and bruising my ankle and heel whilst knocking me from my feet. I was obviously a bit shocked and when I got back to my feet, I found a copper shouting in my face that i was causing an obstruction. He continued to add he would arrest me if I didn't walk forwards immediately (my shoe was 10 yards back where I was initially hit and shunted forwards).

My personal situation had a policeman shouting at me and if anything, making me more angry than I already was by accusing me of being in the wrong. His tactic seemed like he wanted me to react. I didn't fall for it however.

I did complain to the officer in charge of the operation, who made me aware that due to the amount of police required, it wasn't necessarily football trained or local police involved, which always seemed to hamper their operation.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Strangely I went to the game against my local rivals, had a pint and a pasty, realised after 10min's that this was going to be a grind due to the poor start we made, and was proven right. I then sat through a game where my team were totally outplayed, saw a loud away set of fans whilst our fans were muted. Even with all this happening, I didn't go looking for trouble under the stands at half time, and have no sympathy for those who did.

I then sat for 45 mins in the car park without moving due to the Police flushing their fans out of the ground. I watched little tough guys going face to face with the Police, and them coolly accept it. And at no time did I feel the need to slag off some stranger for following his side like I do mine, nothing as strange as folk.

Sep 13, 2003
Ollieargyle9":15pa7paw said:
PL2 3DQ":15pa7paw said:
There were armed police at the Exeter game!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34922283

Yup let's take example from the yanks, guns work so very well for them now don't they.

This isn't going to prevent a terrorist, this is merely going to get some poor innocent civilian shot by an inexperienced or undertrained officer who should never have been armed.

Armed officers are most definitely not undertrained. The training they go through is rigorous and intense. Prevention is better than cure and the mere presence of armed officers deployed at sporting events will deter terrorists from turning it into a bloodbath. I can't recall any unarmed innocent civilians being shot dead by Devon & Cornwall Police so they must be doing something right!

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
Clarke_B":34gic8ur said:
Ollieargyle9":34gic8ur said:
PL2 3DQ":34gic8ur said:
There were armed police at the Exeter game!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34922283

Yup let's take example from the yanks, guns work so very well for them now don't they.

This isn't going to prevent a terrorist, this is merely going to get some poor innocent civilian shot by an inexperienced or undertrained officer who should never have been armed.

Armed officers are most definitely not undertrained. The training they go through is rigorous and intense. Prevention is better than cure and the mere presence of armed officers deployed at sporting events will deter terrorists from turning it into a bloodbath. I can't recall any unarmed innocent civilians being shot dead by Devon & Cornwall Police so they must be doing something right!

Just out of interest, how would their presence deter terrorism?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
At the very basest of levels, it could mean that the perpetrator is shot dead, thus taking the scum of the equation for another attack.

For that reason alone it must be worth it.