Real fans | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Real fans

Jul 29, 2010
Knarf Reprah":16sa2e30 said:
up_the_line":16sa2e30 said:
Personally I reserve the right to be a little bit peeved at people who turn up once in a blue moon and turf the 'diehards' (who keep the club afloat during the bad times) out of their seats when a glamour game comes along.

Agreed
Fourthed.

I understand where you are coming from Mr. H and i'm sure we would make welcome all those genuinely interested in Argyle. Far too many in our home city however put Argyle so far down their list of priorities that it takes an opponent of the magnitude of Liverpool to make them bothered enough to get to Home Park. Most are wholly disinterested in watching Argyle, they're there to watch 'their' team Liverpool or a top four side if their particular grade of 'plastic' differs.

They will not return, whatever you do. The reasons for this are the deep and longstanding cynicism and apathy towards Argyle that is endemic in the city. It has been debated endlessly,

You expressed a desire to embed Argyle in the community when you joined the board and THAT is the answer. But it won't reap a reward for years and only then it'll need the team to be successful first.

This game will not create many new lifelong fans, the extra numbers are just tourists, tourists in their own city. We will welcome with open arms anyone with Argyle in their hearts, most of these people don't have that.

Good luck and thank you for being there. But those of us, like you, who are signed up for the long haul with Argyle will continue to call out the tourists while putting an arm round the shoulder of those new fans who put Argyle before any fake relationship with a club 'off the telly'.

Aug 10, 2006
if you want more people to come mr. h first thing I would do is get rid of that 2 pound extra charge if you pay on the day what's that all about please explain.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
Thanks for the input much appreciated.

I've supported or followed Argyle for almost 50 years and throughout that time I have been in all categories of supporter for various reasons which you could divide into say 5:-

1. Die Hard - Go to all or most of the games home, away, minor cup games, youth and friendly matches.

2. Loyal - Go to the majority of home games and a good number of away games or vice versa if living away.

3. Keen follower - Follow Argyle but don't attend more than 5 or 6 games a season due to many reasons.

4. Casual follower or friend/relation of higher category - Only attend the big games.

5. Followers of other clubs that go to see a game of football - Argyle might be their 2nd club.

I remember trying to surmise how many from each category were at Wembley last year.

The challenge is to move people from one category to the next. Making them feel welcome and part of the club goes a long way towards that.

The main catalyst in my own experience from moving from Category 3 to 2 and then 1 was the Cornish Branch running coaches from the West Cornwall area to all home games and most of the away games. Cornwall and Devon have many remote areas not served by public transport and also have many holiday coaches standing idol in the Winter months. I remember Charlton running coaches from all over Kent to get people along to games which was very successful in building their fan base where transport links were much better than ours.

So busses are actually very important! (and a myriad of other reasons why people don't attend matches more regularly than they do).

I think thorough market research, which doesn't appear to have been done much in the past, would be very helpful in building the fan base.

Stuart House

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Simon, your a great guy, but right now you have far bigger problems at the ticket office.

The match day experience starts with ordering your ticket after all....

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
Cant argue with your sentiments Simon.

In an ideal world we would have a crowd capacity which would alleviate some of the ticket shortage problems. Then I would think you would find the 'once in 10 years brigade' more tolerated by the regulars.

Can I express my appreciation for your and your wife's considerable commitment to PAFC.

Jul 29, 2010
loyal1970":zgmx2b5b said:
if you want more people to come mr. h first thing I would do is get rid of that 2 pound extra charge if you pay on the day what's that all about please explain.
I'll field that one.

It rewards the effort of those genuinely interested in being there and planning ahead.

It also protects the club from last minute apathy or flimsy distractions by securing the money before the day of the game. It limits the detrimental effects of the 'half hearted' from opening the curtains on matchday morning, seeing rain and deciding to do something else instead.

Levelling the prices would lose Argyle more more money than it would gain them in 'last minute' decisions to attend a game. Argyle has been in the city since 1886, there has been ample opportunity for the light bulb moment of wanting to watch a professional football match to occur before lunchtime on match days.

Jul 3, 2013
The one thing about today's experience which is disheartening is the fact those early fans who had raffle tickets were then seen to be giving them to others after securing their tickets, friends family or people who have been at work were meeting them and then queue jumping by about 600. Also anybody can buy a set of raffle tickets and jump to whichever numbers are called.
I understand the idea was to keep people out the cold and you even supplied hot drinks which I'm sure were appreciated. However, is it asking too much to provide proper queuing rails like those used at airports ect. Also you need to employ security or stewards that are briefed and don't tell people who have queued for hours that if you went Anfield you were fine.
I have managed to get tickets for myself and others fine but with this organisation in place for tomorrow It will be nothing but a disaster
, the simple things are those that make things run so smooth such as notices displayed at certain points explaining which queues are for what and the criteria that is needed ect.

The mobile unit by the way was one thing that you lot nailed.

May 22, 2006
Hi Simon,

I'm not sure of:

'If we could get roughly ten percent of the area's population to come to roughly four home games a year, we'd roughly double our attendances'.

as the stadium cannot hold such a number (and nor do I think we need a nassive capacity).

People need to understand that Plymouth is not a thriving city and many people (you and I included) move away for better opportunites. The upside of this is that we have many fans who find it far easier to attend away matches. Londonish games are fantastically well attended and support on the terraces is almost always more vocal at away games than at Home Park. To moan about the fans who travel to away games then also wanting to go to the presteige games totally undervalues their support. Exiles often pay on the gate as it avoids additional ticketing costs/postage/chance of non delivery/chance of postponement. The downside is that these attendances are not logged and we end up being accused as 'not real fans.' Whether or not a system could be introduced to track such attendances is debatable as it would probably only incur extra cost.

The reasons for the exiles not coming to home games are fairly obvious. It's a long, often painful to journey. A major city that the government can't be bothered to build a motorway to, a railway line that takes the coastal route and costs a fortune and of course, only an airport in Klopp's dreams. For those who do make the journey, it is to see fourth division football with tickets comparatively expensive to some much higher clubs. The facilities are not great. The grandstand has hardly changed in the near 50 years I have been attending, except that the terrace is now derelict. Certainly the toilet facilities have not changed in 50 years. There are always long queues for food and drink and the value is not great. The seating is in need of refurbishment; their are holes in the roof and it is difficult to hear the PA. All costs money to upgrade and it is understandable why it has not happened before.

No doubt the new granstand will address such issues. It may also be worth employing sellers in the crowd (like at American sports) to relieve the pressure on the kiosks. High quality conference facilities will be a new experience for many and give a much more professional impression of the club.

I actually think that we are on the right track. The facilities at Home Park need to be improved and will be with the new grandstand. The match day experience needs to be improved with better retail and catering outlets at sensible prices. Most of all, we need to be playing at a higher level to attract more interest. That is easier said than done as teams like Argyle and Pompey struggle to get out of this league.

Possibly crowds could be improved with wider membership schemes. A £10 member card could means that we don't have to pay that extra £2 on the day; give a discount in the club shop and a chance to get tickets after other memberships) Bradford have huge crowds through discounting but this is not always cost effective (nor is kid for a quid but maybe a tiered approach of U5 £1; U10 £3; U16 £5; U18 + students £7).

Somethings are beyond the remit of PAFC. There is a lack of investment in the West Country as a whole resulting in wages being lower. The television rights just make the rich clubs stupidly richer at the expense of lower league teams. It also means that people sit at home and watch the games rather than experience the match day atmosphere.

A new granstand, better facilities (catering; toilets; maybe even an electronic scoreboard / large tv screen) and playing at a better standard will attract more crowds. We are on the right track with sensible leadership. In theory, the process can be speeded up with a mega rich benefactor but without such a person, there are those of us who appreciate a prudent approach.

Aug 10, 2006
one answer is advertising to the floater's the next home fixture apart from the herald where is it advertised, why not as a lot of clubs do stick 2 billboard's up in the car park so everybody driving/walking past can see when the next home fixture is.

Aug 10, 2006
X Isle":bf6n599u said:
loyal1970":bf6n599u said:
I'll field that one.

It rewards the effort of those genuinely interested in being there and planning ahead.

It also protects the club from last minute apathy or flimsy distractions by securing the money before the day of the game. It limits the detrimental effects of the 'half hearted' from opening the curtains on matchday morning, seeing rain and deciding to do something else instead.

Levelling the prices would lose Argyle more more money than it would gain them in 'last minute' decisions to attend a game. Argyle has been in the city since 1886, there has been ample opportunity for the light bulb moment of wanting to watch a professional football match to occur before lunchtime on match days.
dear o dear you just don't get it do you.

Jul 3, 2013
Maybe the club should ask fans to fill in some sort of survey to obtain creative feedback onl issues such as those mentioned so far in this thread.

Jul 29, 2010
loyal1970":y9dlaztl said:
X Isle":y9dlaztl said:
loyal1970":y9dlaztl said:
I'll field that one.

dear o dear you just don't get it do you.
Oh yes I do.

Local folk, for whom Argyle is a passing interest and not a passion will find five billion reasons NOT to attend over the one they need TO attend. Catering for them is a false economy.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i think we can rest assured that with the likes of mr Hallett on the board he and his fellow board members will learn from this very difficult situation.i sympathise with genuine regular attenders who will miss out but also for the ticket office staff who will be getting undeserved grief from a small minority.

Apr 12, 2016
One thing we do need from the club is a statement advising those, like me, who were given a raffle ticket to come back tomorrow whether to make the journey or not