Real fans | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Real fans

M

Monkey Nuts

For instances like the big games versus Liverpool, the answer surely has to be an acurate, up to date and vigourously maintained database of fans who watch games from time to time. The current criteria of 5 games in two seasons seems about right to me, but it should be a strict case of 1 ticket per eligible person.
No more cash turnstiles, with all tickets being purchased either online or at the box office, to ensure every visit to home park is added to the database.
I know 3 people who are planning on buying tickets for Liverpool supporting locals, which mean many many people who were at the Portsmouth playoff SF for example, will fail to get a ticket, because a Liverpool supporting Janner is sat in one of the seats in the home stands.

Properly maintained ticket sale database.... one ticket per eligible person.
There must be at lease 10,000 people who have been to watch Argyle 5 times in two seasons, so why the need to let people buy extras and sell them to whoever the heck they want.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
You need to check some other threads IPA, the club's in-crowd are emphatically self-congratulatory on how well the ticketing has been handled.

Presumably they always wanted a scouse derby makeup of the crowd, where "reds" sit all over amongst the oppo with zero compliant trouble. Be great to see that all unfold at HP on live tv. Record arrests a given I'd think from the lunatic ticket policy employed here.

It'll take a fair old while to forget this one, pafc.

Oct 16, 2016
Want to have an opinion on worthiness and holier than thou right to right?

Fingers out of arses and spend your £320 closed season

Whining blouses

M

Monkey Nuts

Shankster":yy8k184s said:
Interesting to establish what the criteria is for 'real fans'
In my eyes, someone who wants to go to Argyle to watch Argyle.... not because they have the chance to watch Liverpool somewhere other than their armchair or pub.

Mar 7, 2005
Redruth
Simon,Great to see your investment in the club,Think the club is in the best health for many years,Think it is important at the moment to sort the issues regarding online ticket sales,Been a pain for many supporters for a fair while,Having been supporting Argyle since April 1983 I can honestly say it's the best entertainment you could have on a Saturday afternoon within Devon and Cornwall,My message to fellow supporters is push out the white membership to encourage the casual people to come more often,Regarding season tickets perhaps we could have a monthly instalment option again to ease payments options to those who don't have the upfront cost.Last of all pass my personal thanks to those people working behind the scenes doing a marvellous job in this very busy period.

Aug 5, 2016
Mr Hallett, real fans are the types that were at Anfield, that were at Wembley, that go to 10 or more away matches a season, that have Season Tickets, White Memberships, and still can't get a ticket for the biggest match in the club's recent history.

Other fans who haven't bothered with Argyle for decades but know a bloke down the pub who has got 6 tickets will get to see their reds. You are having a laugh if you think you are converting this type of 'customer' into a die-hard - they will soon be back to their armchairs and £65 a month Sky subscriptions moaning about the cost of Argyle soon after the show ups and leaves Plymouth.

Awful timing to come and plea for a welcome to the new faces in the stands. It sounds like many of the proud, the passionate and the loyal won't get in to Home Park after this earth shattering balls up by PAFC.

Aug 5, 2005
Knibbsworth":2ehkpjuc said:
Mr Hallett, real fans are the types that were at Anfield, that were at Wembley, that go to 10 or more away matches a season, that have Season Tickets, White Memberships, and still can't get a ticket for the biggest match in the club's recent history.

Other fans who haven't bothered with Argyle for decades but know a bloke down the pub who has got 6 tickets will get to see their reds. You are having a laugh if you think you are converting this type of 'customer' into a die-hard - they will soon be back to their armchairs and £65 a month Sky subscriptions moaning about the cost of Argyle soon after the show ups and leaves Plymouth.

Awful timing to come and plea for a welcome to the new faces in the stands. It sounds like many of the proud, the passionate and the loyal won't get in to Home Park after this earth shattering balls up by PAFC.

He's not talking about them though is he?

He's talking about the people who want to watch and cheers Argyle and how to get them to come back on a regular basis

Automatically assuming everyone new is a Liverpool fan isn't a great start at making them feel welcome

Oct 8, 2008
Knibbsworth":7uaelega said:

Well said.

One wonders if it was a deliberate ploy to get those that don't normally go through the turnstiles hopefully hooked on coming. That you'd alienate many that do go regularly but, for whatever reason, don't have a ST, in the process is a calculated risk

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
simonh":d5x2hz61 said:
Hi all,

There's been a lot of debate in social media about who are real fans of Argyle and who are not. There's also been a lot of debate about why we don't have bigger crowds. I think the two are related.

Our goal for Argyle is to have a Club whose greater success on the pitch is sustainable.
That means that we need greater revenues to support greater spending on the team.
Greater revenues means we need more people coming to watch (or higher prices for those who are going to come at almost any price).

More people coming to watch implies we need to reach beyond the diehards who come every week.

That implies we need to make people who don't want to come every week believe that
a. They are going to have a good experience on match day at Home Park;
b. Get value for money;
c. Be made welcome.

If we could get roughly ten percent of the area's population to come to roughly four home games a year, we'd roughly double our attendances.

The Board and the Club can work towards some of these, but will need your help. Abusing spectators because they only want to come to big games, or because they only care about the entertainment is going to undermine our efforts to make this Club successful, on the pitch as well as off it.

Simon Hallett

Simon, firstly, thanks for posting this. It's not necessary to do it, but it's good of you. There may be some out of order abuse going on. But there will also be - like me - some genuine frustration from people who have been die hard supporters, thick and thin, who remember things like Carl Fletcher's goal away at Shrewsbury when we wondered if we had a club, who saw us capitulate at Stourbridge and thought it couldn't get any lower, who now are not getting tickets for the first properly glamorous game in a long while. Some of us live a long way from Home Park and it is not easy to stand in line at the ground. People are grumpy because they care, and they see others who probably, in all estimation, cae a little less, getting ahead in the queue. It's human nature. You want out what you put in. No need for abuse though. On the broader point,come one come all, and anyone calling anyone a plastic or anything equally silly is deluded. Fans come in all guises and all are welcome. I just hope on the night they all feel t as much as me and other who have missed out, and cheer the team on as loudly.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Amusing how the same people who have been taking the mick out of me for supporting Argyle all my life, are now the people begging me for tickets, and they won't be getting any help from me, karma's a funny one isn't it.

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
Cobi Budge":8ame7na0 said:
Amusing how the same people who have been taking the mick out of me for supporting Argyle all my life, are now the people begging me for tickets, and they won't be getting any help from me, karma's a funny one isn't it.

Quite. I hope you have given them very short shrift

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Forest of Dean Green":28hh0hg1 said:
Cobi Budge":28hh0hg1 said:

Quite. I hope you have given them very short shrift

:thumbup:

Thanks again for your input into PAFC simon. In my opinion the only way to get crowds up, is as it has always
been in pro football, and that is to win football matches. The longer the success is happening then the more that turn up, which then
if over a long enough period of time, will add more to the hardcore fanbase. Thats the same for all clubs and not just argyle.
Pompey were getting the same crowds as us until mandaric turned up with his dosh and with a long spell in the PL
and an fa cup their hardcore fanbase has about doubled now. Ours has held up really well since admin and was
much lower before boomtime with luggy raised the level.
The crowds usually drop away as soon as the success dies or slowly falls away over time. Liverpool in the 60s did the opposite and
went the other way and kept going and are now a perfect example of success equalling an increasingly larger now worldwide fanbase.
Much to the dismay of some of their own diehard fans too it would seem as gazza wrote in his "another view from anfield"
thread earlier this week backed up by another scouse on there. They wrote that anfield was being taken over by plastic
tourists and that the real fans where being priced out. So its not just us moaning about plastics.
He was just as unhappy as some of our diehards are on here tonight. They are understandably angry about possible plastics taking
seats from them. Casual fans i think most people are happy enough to welcome but reds fans should really be in with their own.
Especially with limited ticket access. LFC fans get never ending big games whereas argyle fans usually get zilch.
Thats why its pandemonium at the moment. Roll on saturday for a bit of bread n butter again.
Although to be honest all argyle games are big games to me these days so thats why i see the replay as just another game albeit
against a premier side which adds a bit of spice to it all in that i hate the PL.
So i would say that answering your examples a and b is to provide winning football and c is that moaning of plastics is just part of football
culture and you need to attract regulars whether they be plastic or casual during normal games like saturday and not worry too much about
high profile games like this one.
Mind you if we win. Hmmm then thats another matter. Then we will be moaning at all the plastic wolfies instead.

Doyley43

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 21, 2006
SOUTH HAMS
Shankster":nqar4vol said:
Want to have an opinion on worthiness and holier than thou right to right?

Fingers out of arses and spend your £320 closed season

Whining blouses

Typical response from someone who thinks they are above everyone else because he has spent £320

I am with IPA on this and before you try to shoot me down I am a member myself and have been for a long time.

May 21, 2010
taunton
On Saturday I will watch Argyle play there bread and butter match home to stevenage, as I have been for many years. But on Wednesday I will be an armchair supporter and watch my beloved football team on BT sport. Can't be bothered with the stress and fiasco of obtaining one ticket. Hope all the plastics will return to home park again, but odds on many will not.