Real fans | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Real fans

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
X Isle":63edya4r said:
Knarf Reprah":63edya4r said:
up_the_line":63edya4r said:
Personally I reserve the right to be a little bit peeved at people who turn up once in a blue moon and turf the 'diehards' (who keep the club afloat during the bad times) out of their seats when a glamour game comes along.

Agreed
Fourthed.

I understand where you are coming from Mr. H and i'm sure we would make welcome all those genuinely interested in Argyle. Far too many in our home city however put Argyle so far down their list of priorities that it takes an opponent of the magnitude of Liverpool to make them bothered enough to get to Home Park. Most are wholly disinterested in watching Argyle, they're there to watch 'their' team Liverpool or a top four side if their particular grade of 'plastic' differs.

They will not return, whatever you do. The reasons for this are the deep and longstanding cynicism and apathy towards Argyle that is endemic in the city. It has been debated endlessly,

You expressed a desire to embed Argyle in the community when you joined the board and THAT is the answer. But it won't reap a reward for years and only then it'll need the team to be successful first.

This game will not create many new lifelong fans, the extra numbers are just tourists, tourists in their own city. We will welcome with open arms anyone with Argyle in their hearts, most of these people don't have that.

Good luck and thank you for being there. But those of us, like you, who are signed up for the long haul with Argyle will continue to call out the tourists while putting an arm round the shoulder of those new fans who put Argyle before any fake relationship with a club 'off the telly'.

Agree with Mr. x 100%.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Since I Was 33":3tz6i3ps said:
One thing we do need from the club is a statement advising those, like me, who were given a raffle ticket to come back tomorrow whether to make the journey or not

'We will renew telephone sales when and if it becomes clear that we will be able to satisfy the demand of those supporters who hold a ticket-voucher.'

IF being the crucial word there. So basically 'hmmm maybe, maybe not'

Jan 31, 2010
Worcester
Simon H - thanks for taking the time to post this. It is reassuring to see that the future of the club looks very bright. I am bitterly disappointed that it looks like I will be unable to buy a ticket (meet all the criteria and am a BGL subscriber - before any says anything I wanted to wait to see if I could get tickets for my kids as well as my one under the BGL).

However lessons must be learned from this debacle, as it will have eroded a lot of goodwill amongst those that support the club through thick and thin. In hindsight the club should have prepared for this eventuality at the moment the last seat was sold for the Anfield game. I always believed we would get a result (and told as many scousers I could on the way to the ground), but understand the odds were stacked against us. BUT that is no excuse! Commercially the club could have made it a prerequisite that tickets would only be sold to those who had purchased tickets to Stevenage (therefore ensuring capacity crowd) as well as the Green, White and BGL members.

There are also a lot of reports that people were able to order multiples of tickets online. This is inexcusable and I can now see a lot of tickets being sold on the black market for multiples far in excess of face value. The club should work hard to identify who these culprits are, and punish appropriately.

However I was fortunate to witness the heroics at Anfield and should count myself as very fortunate to have witnessed one of greatest achievements (certainly better than a trip to Burnley in a battle to survive relegation a long time ago!). I trust that the ticket situation will be sorted in advance of our fourth round tie against Wolves!!!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Stiffler":a4wcuwjv said:
The one thing about today's experience which is disheartening is the fact those early fans who had raffle tickets were then seen to be giving them to others after securing their tickets, friends family or people who have been at work were meeting them and then queue jumping by about 600. Also anybody can buy a set of raffle tickets and jump to whichever numbers are called.
I understand the idea was to keep people out the cold and you even supplied hot drinks which I'm sure were appreciated. However, is it asking too much to provide proper queuing rails like those used at airports ect. Also you need to employ security or stewards that are briefed and don't tell people who have queued for hours that if you went Anfield you were fine.
I have managed to get tickets for myself and others fine but with this organisation in place for tomorrow It will be nothing but a disaster
, the simple things are those that make things run so smooth such as notices displayed at certain points explaining which queues are for what and the criteria that is needed ect.

The mobile unit by the way was one thing that you lot nailed.
It seems surprising that the raffle tickets were not confiscated/collected at the window?

Dec 13, 2004
Simon, Thanks for your investment in PAFC. In answer to your questions, bringing the infrastructure and operating systems into the 21st Century in combination with backing the manager and investing in the squad are key. You will grow the fan base by offering a good standard of football in a stadium fit for purpose. :scarf: Good luck.

Mar 18, 2014
What unbelievable sh!te being spouted here, just for a change

I live in Shropshire, 450 mile round trip from Plymouth, so obviously don't go to many home games

So I can't be a die hard or loyal Argyle supporter!!!!!!!

What a total crock of sh!t...........there are so many people who post on here who really need a slap

Jun 28, 2006
Plymouth
I dont know what bracket of supporter i fall into these days and whether some will relegate me from my former 'Real Fan' status. I had been regularly attending ever since i was a lad with my now deceased grandfather. I spent all my paper round money as a teenager to get to most home and a few away games during the 80's, being ridiculed on my return by a stepfather who absolutely delighted in highlighting the folly in supporting Argyle.

As a parent i have paid for my two boys to attend regularly, in fact i held a season ticket with one of them for about three years until it was too financially restrictive to do so.
However, whilst i have lost some joy, both the boys hold the same vein of passionate support that i once held. For the last two years both have been regular attendees, paying on the day due to our personal circumstances. All of this adding up to a greater financial support (to the club) than any individual fans recent new comer status.

Me and my boys accepted the criteria for both home and away Liverpool games (tough one when they both like me share a passion for the Reds). Its absolutely right that regular current ST holders get recognition. But regrettably, the passionate 'diehards' of the past will be relegated to history. The same diehards that have gone on to instill the same passion in the next generation in a way that the club never could. None of that will be acknowledged, how could it? Fair? Who knows? Who really cares? :)

Over coffee this week i got talking to a football nut friend that moved here 20 years ago. He follows his own team as finances permit and has also been to many Argyle games with me in that time. He told me about personal acquaintances of his that never attend any games but shimmied up when Argyle played Everton a few years back. This annoyed him as he deliberately stayed away allowing 'genuine' fans an opportunity to see the game. In a similar experience i told him of my efforts to acquire Anfield tickets for my family that were fruitless. My frustration was compounded whilst watching BT sport on Sunday and seeing many familiar people in the crowd that had even less historical connection or attendances than us. One particular individual (a Man U fan) makes frequent remarks about the cost at Argyle and makes no secret about his preference for Plymouth Parkway to price.

The conclusion that my coffee drinking pal came too some time back is that its "everyman for himself as no other bugger really cares".

A conclusion that i'm inclined to draw myself.

Jul 29, 2010
Vampires11":1h56izn3 said:
What unbelievable sh!te being spouted here, just for a change

I live in Shropshire, 450 mile round trip from Plymouth, so obviously don't go to many home games

So I can't be a die hard or loyal Argyle supporter!!!!!!!

What a total crock of sh!t...........there are so many people who post on here who really need a slap
...is one way it could be taken, not unreasonably.

I took it as not referring to exiles, but far more locally based 'occasionals'. By that standard greens with a clear love of Argyle like Bermudian Green and Ottawa Green would be off the scale of 'occasional' or 'real' and that ain't right. It's what's in your heart that counts.

Exiles do what they can do from wherever they are, they don't attend every game but collectively each game will be attended by hundreds if not thousands from counties beyond Devon. I don't feel the contribution in gate reciepts from us nor the effort involved is recognised by the club, or indeed the locally based fans.

But I didn't take those comments as referring to us, it refers to yer 1-5 game attendees from just 1-5 miles from Home Park...and rightly so.

Aug 5, 2005
Do we want to bring in new blood and new supporters? My answer is of course...there's no point in calling for a 20000+ capacity otherwise.

What is more likely to get new people through the gates? Liverpool or Mansfield?

So why are people complaining about new people wanting to attend?

This is what Simon is trying to say. When we get the new blood to Home Park, the last thing anyone should be doing is name calling and showing hostility. If the club wants to progress, they need the bums on seats. And I realise it is a tiny but noisy part of the fanbase who are against 'plastics' but as we go up the leagues, it's something that needs to be encouraged.

The mentality of you have to live in Milehouse or Peverell and attend every game (except the Checkatrade) to be a 'real' fan is ridiculous and an insult to other fans.

Mar 14, 2009
Firstly, like most Argyle fans l'd like to thank you for your investment in the club. Hopefully, we can move forward as a club.

However, l do believe Mr Hallett you are in for a shock. You can't reinvent the wheel as they say and for 30+ years lve been an Argyle fan. Within that time one thing has always remained constant. The apathy of the Plymouth people towards it football club. Many people have come and gone before you and said if "only we couldn't entice 2%-4% of the Plymouth public to come along to watch games. We could increase revenue and therefore spend more on the team.

I'm afraid whilst your heart is in the right place l will be intrigued to see if you can achieve what many business people have failed before them. I point to two keys periods which should have brought in better crowds but we're not sustained after a couple of years.

Firstly, the Dan McCauley era. We know how this ended. Yet at the start this was a chairman who put Argyle on the map. He brought in England most capped player in Shilton at the time. He put Argyle on the back pages. McCauley invested like no Chairman l could remember. Big transfer fees were paid. Well in comparison to the money we spent on players before. We played a stylish, attacking football game.

The numbers increased. Yet this was because of huge investment beforehand. Then when his reign turned sour the numbers dropped.

The other spell was the two promotions and a championship season in over a five year period. All achieved mainly by Paul Sturrocks brilliant management team. Did everything on a shoestring budget. When we won both championships crowds obviously became more decent but without reaching near sell out proportions. Our first year back in the championship the crowds were very healthy. Yet people of Plymouth realised we would struggle because there was no investment in the squad to keep us competitive. Following year, the crowds dropped off dramatically.

A couple of years down the line we were up around 6-8th place. Doing really well in the championship. Yet crowds were poor, especially compared to our first season back in the championship. Ian Holloway was doing magically stuff. Yet he knew, as he left us, and we knew as fans it's wasn't suistainable because of a lack of investment. That's why people never brought into it. As they saw from a few years before Argyle couldn't compete.

Unfortunately, many of Plymouth rather be a plastic premiership fan, go to the odd game in years than see football on their doorstep. That is the mentality you are fighting against. So much bad will has happened over the years that the divide has been created and simply people don't believe Argyle can ever be a professional outfit that is successful beyond league one.

It's the whole chicken and egg scenario. You want Plymouth people to turn up in order you can reinvest in the team and make it successful. They want someone to invest heavily first in the team before they (thefloating Plymouth supporter)will make that kind of commitment.

So the problem is your battling against a city with a lack if faith in its football club who's sees that history states they have never amounted to anything as a football club.

This Liverpool scenario should give you just an insight to what you battling against. Ticket demands are crazy for this game. Yet it's plymouth people who are excited to go watch Liverpool, and not Argyle, that are causing the problems with regards to this game. It's ok saying we need more than the diehards to come to games and make them feel welcome but when your not even looking after the people who watch Argyle on a regular basis in order for them watch Liverpool to obtain a ticket to watch THEIR team then you have to thing what is your no1 priority?

Is it people like myself who has been a season ticket holder for 16 years and supported the club in the good or bad periods?

Or is it the causal fan who just turns up for the "big" game atmosphere.

That's not just Liverpool, but your Exeters and Portsmouth type game. I'm sure both would be your priority. Yet you ask why won't the causal fan turn up for a game against Hartlepool or Barnet. They would just smile or laugh at you because they simply don't want to pay £20 to watch these type of teams. The simple truth is you want them to come to games and their attitude is not to attend.

The truth is the Plymouth people have shown they aren't interested. Meanwhile people like myself get taken for granted because of our loyalty to the club. This Liverpool ticket fiasco shows some how upset people are as the football club keep making important mistakes in regards to its fan base. I'm not expecting perfection. Just a little more professionalism and understanding towards those Argyle fans that have been with you from the start.

I wish you well in your quest to make our club great again. I don't know how you change around the mentality of a city, where others have failed before you, finding out that actually the Plymouth people rather find a connection to a team they watch on tv rather than follow a team in the city they live in.

F

Frazer Lloyd-Davies

There's a simple resolution to this - bring back the Pilgrim membership.

IPA

Aug 26, 2012
The 'real' capital of Devon
simonh":1da7m05e said:
Hi all,

There's been a lot of debate in social media about who are real fans of Argyle and who are not. There's also been a lot of debate about why we don't have bigger crowds. I think the two are related.

Our goal for Argyle is to have a Club whose greater success on the pitch is sustainable.
That means that we need greater revenues to support greater spending on the team.
Greater revenues means we need more people coming to watch (or higher prices for those who are going to come at almost any price).

More people coming to watch implies we need to reach beyond the diehards who come every week.

That implies we need to make people who don't want to come every week believe that
a. They are going to have a good experience on match day at Home Park;
b. Get value for money;
c. Be made welcome.

If we could get roughly ten percent of the area's population to come to roughly four home games a year, we'd roughly double our attendances.

The Board and the Club can work towards some of these, but will need your help. Abusing spectators because they only want to come to big games, or because they only care about the entertainment is going to undermine our efforts to make this Club successful, on the pitch as well as off it.

Simon Hallett

What I want to know is, who's bright idea was it to give members up to 3 tickets each?

Many die hard fans who don't buy a membership for certain reasons but instead pay on the day will now miss out on one of the biggest games in the club's recent history. They will have their seats taken by plastic Liverpool fans and other glory hunters.

I've followed Argyle all over the country, through thick and thin for over 40 years, had a ST for most of the last 13 seasons but didn't renew due to a few personal reasons. It hasn't stopped me and my 8 year old son attending and I have enough privileges to get a ticket. The problem is, I couldn't buy one through my online account for some reason, couldn't even get in the queue for phone tickets and wasn't able to get to Home Park to join the lottery queue.

My little boy - who trains with the Argyle development squad incidentally - couldn't travel to Anfield on Sunday due to being only 8 actually prayed that Argyle would get a draw so that he could see the replay. Amazingly his prayer was answered but he's got bugger all chance of seeing the game due to the usual calamitous organisational skill of the club.

Now a huge number of spectators will be attending Home Park for the first and probably the last time while true supporters who have been the life blood of the club over many years will miss out. Such an easy thing to administrate has been made a complete pigs ear of. I can't begin to tell you how angry and dismayed I am.

It beggars belief really! :furious: