Reuben Reid (signs for Exeter - confirmed) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Reuben Reid (signs for Exeter - confirmed)

Aug 5, 2016
rsp4":2w8zwc8x said:
Just reading the Newport forum and they reckon he wanted 2k a week. Surely we were not paying him anywhere near that were we?

If so no wonder they offered him a smaller deal

Why is that so hard to believe? He was one of, if not THE most fearsome striker in the division for two of the past three seasons. We had to fend off hot interest from Pompey more than a few times, who would have offered him more like £3,000 - £4,000 per week than £2,000.

Oct 31, 2015
Knibbsworth":274t80o4 said:
rsp4":274t80o4 said:
Just reading the Newport forum and they reckon he wanted 2k a week. Surely we were not paying him anywhere near that were we?

Why is that so hard to believe? He was one of, if not THE most fearsome striker in the division for two of the past three seasons. We had to fend off hot interest from Pompey more than a few times, who would have offered him more like £3,000 - £4,000 per week than £2,000.

Well I do find it hard to believe. How can a fourth division player be worth over 100k a year!!!. I appreciate that the premier league primos get far too much but I didnt realise 4th division players at the top end were so well paid.

Anyway back to Reubs I feel for him. I agree Sheridan has probably caused yhe prolonged injury issue by playing him when he was unfit but Reubs would have had a say.

Aug 5, 2016
rsp4":1uhn54qu said:
Knibbsworth":1uhn54qu said:
rsp4":1uhn54qu said:

Well I do find it hard to believe. How can a fourth division player be worth over 100k a year!!!. I appreciate that the premier league primos get far too much but I didnt realise 4th division players at the top end were so well paid.

Anyway back to Reubs I feel for him. I agree Sheridan has probably caused yhe prolonged injury issue by playing him when he was unfit but Reubs would have had a say.

I suppose at any level you have to consider how rare a 20-25 goals (or more) a season striker is.

Usually in a division, there are about 5 players capable of that landmark. So only about 20 professional players at the end of a football season can say they got paid to bang in twenty goals (across all 4 divisions).

So Reuben is a pretty rare breed. He is a proven 20 goal a season striker at football league level and has done it multiple times.

He's playing in a division where the top 5 clubs get upwards of 7,000 in attendance every home match, paying about £20 each. So what's that, around £100,000 income per game, after concessions? Fag packet maths here.

£100,000 can buy you a Reuben Reid for a season and just one match with a crowd of 7,000 pays for him. Against that backdrop it's a bit of a bargain. If anything we were probably paying him more.

If we want to pay less, we can try non goalscoring strikers which come a bit cheaper, but don't tend to win as many matches or promotions. Goals cost you money. We've got Jimmy Spencer now who looks a good player, but doesn't have the history of scoring goals that Reuben had. If Jimmy knocks in 20 between now and next May I'm sure his agent might be wanting to have a chat about his contract terms.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
2k a week is not a lot at all for a top lower league striker. I'd be stunned if we were paying him less.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Knibbsworth":2u61mot3 said:
rsp4":2u61mot3 said:
Knibbsworth":2u61mot3 said:
rsp4":2u61mot3 said:

I suppose at any level you have to consider how rare a 20-25 goals (or more) a season striker is.

Usually in a division, there are about 5 players capable of that landmark. So only about 20 professional players at the end of a football season can say they got paid to bang in twenty goals (across all 4 divisions).

So Reuben is a pretty rare breed. He is a proven 20 goal a season striker at football league level and has done it multiple times.

He's playing in a division where the top 5 clubs get upwards of 7,000 in attendance every home match, paying about £20 each. So what's that, around £100,000 income per game, after concessions? Fag packet maths here.

£100,000 can buy you a Reuben Reid for a season and just one match with a crowd of 7,000 pays for him. Against that backdrop it's a bit of a bargain. If anything we were probably paying him more.

If we want to pay less, we can try non goalscoring strikers which come a bit cheaper, but don't tend to win as many matches or promotions. Goals cost you money. We've got Jimmy Spencer now who looks a good player, but doesn't have the history of scoring goals that Reuben had. If Jimmy knocks in 20 between now and next May I'm sure his agent might be wanting to have a chat about his contract terms.
So Reuben is a pretty rare breed. He is a proven 20 goal a season striker at football league level and has done it multiple times. Reuben is a decent striker but he has only beaten the 20 mark once in his career and certainly hasn't done it "multiple times". Fair enough, compared to his recent predecessors at HP he has been prolific. But the facts are these. In 2013-14 he scored 17 in the League and 4 in the FA Cup, with 3 of the latter coming against a poor Lincoln City side. It was the first time in his career that he had beaten 20 in a season. In 2014-15 he bagged 18 in the League and reached the 20 mark by dint of his brace against Orient in the terrific 3-3 League Cup tie. In 2008-09 at Rotherham he got 18 in League games and a single goal in the League Cup. My research source shows him to have scored a useful 93 first team goals in 263 starts and 91 appearances from the bench. It adds in brackets that of his 93 goals, 21 of them were penalties.

Jan 27, 2012
Argyle could do worse than re-signing Reid, but I don't think that's very likely.
The reason he hasn't signed for a club yet is probably because his agent is still looking for the best deal. I'm sure plenty of L1 and L2 clubs will be in the market for him. Argyle's budget is pretty low I reckon- so that's why he left.

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
The reason he hasn't signed is, more than likely, because his agent wants to much for a player with a suspect injury record.

I'm sure if Adams thought he was worth the money, Argyle would find it.

Sep 6, 2006
memory man":1lsqdq8i said:
Knibbsworth":1lsqdq8i said:
rsp4":1lsqdq8i said:
Knibbsworth":1lsqdq8i said:
rsp4":1lsqdq8i said:

So Reuben is a pretty rare breed. He is a proven 20 goal a season striker at football league level and has done it multiple times. Reuben is a decent striker but he has only beaten the 20 mark once in his career and certainly hasn't done it "multiple times". Fair enough, compared to his recent predecessors at HP he has been prolific. But the facts are these. In 2013-14 he scored 17 in the League and 4 in the FA Cup, with 3 of the latter coming against a poor Lincoln City side. It was the first time in his career that he had beaten 20 in a season. In 2014-15 he bagged 18 in the League and reached the 20 mark by dint of his brace against Orient in the terrific 3-3 League Cup tie. In 2008-09 at Rotherham he got 18 in League games and a single goal in the League Cup. My research source shows him to have scored a useful 93 first team goals in 263 starts and 91 appearances from the bench. It adds in brackets that of his 93 goals, 21 of them were penalties.

Wasn't just about goals though was it? He made things happen.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Balham_Green":3kjgfd3r said:
memory man":3kjgfd3r said:
Knibbsworth":3kjgfd3r said:
rsp4":3kjgfd3r said:
Knibbsworth":3kjgfd3r said:
rsp4":3kjgfd3r said:

He didn't run around enough like a headless chicken (Feeney) to be rated that highly amongst Argyle fans.

Aug 5, 2016
memory man":2wh6m7dt said:
Knibbsworth":2wh6m7dt said:
rsp4":2wh6m7dt said:
Knibbsworth":2wh6m7dt said:
rsp4":2wh6m7dt said:

You have just gone on a slightly bizarre rant that started by saying Reuben 'certainly hasn't scored more than 20 multiple times', before identifying two separate seasons where he DID score more than 20 goals and another where he scored 19! :lol:

If Reuben's goalscoring record doesn't impress, what do you think about Goodwillie, Spencer, Brunt and Rooney? Soccerbase is always available for the stats. But if 60 goals in three League Two seasons doesn't strike you as a decent return, I wouldn't advise checking them.

Gloucester Green

Cream First
♣️ Shire Greens
Sep 18, 2010
Gloucester
Steve.PAFC2012":tkglrjj6 said:
memory man":tkglrjj6 said:
Knibbsworth":tkglrjj6 said:
rsp4":tkglrjj6 said:
Knibbsworth":tkglrjj6 said:
rsp4":tkglrjj6 said:
Just reading the Newport forum and th be worth over 100k a year!!!. I appreciate that the premier league primos get far too much but I didnt realise 4th division players at the top end were so well paid.

He didn't run around enough like a headless chicken (Feeney) to be rated that highly amongst Argyle fans.

It's more his falling on the floor when touched and whinging a pass hadn't gone to his feet when played into space around him that got most people irate about him

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Knibbsworth":13lzc7k7 said:
memory man":13lzc7k7 said:
rsp4":13lzc7k7 said:
rsp4":13lzc7k7 said:

You have just gone on a slightly bizarre rant that started by saying Reuben 'certainly hasn't scored more than 20 multiple times', before identifying two separate seasons where he DID score more than 20 goals and another where he scored 19! :lol:

If Reuben's goalscoring record doesn't impress, what do you think about Goodwillie, Spencer, Brunt and Rooney? Soccerbase is always available for the stats. But if 60 goals in three League Two seasons doesn't strike you as a decent return, I wouldn't advise checking them.
"Bizarre rant"? Two or three, choose which you like - neither rate as multiple in my world. And I DID NOT comment on two seasons where he scored more than 20 goals - because he hasn't. I even put the word in italics to make it easier for you to understand. The thread had Reuben Reid as the title so that is what I commented on, sticking simply to facts. I did not bring Goodwillie, Spencer, Brunt or Rooney into the debate as I understood it to be about Reid and Reid alone. As a dedicated researcher I don't need telling about databases, but be assured "Soccerbase" is well down the list of decent sources of information that I consult on a daily basis.

Apr 12, 2016
I think over the last few seasons the first player opposition managers would be think about when preparing to play Argyle would be Reuben. I'm sure the majority of defenders as well didn't enjoy playing against him. I just thought last season he was too moody on too many occasions and wasn't surprised when he chose to leave. You would think if he was injured though he might have taken the option of the contract as the club would have taken the lead on his rehab.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
Am I the only one that's starting to feel a bit sorry for him? Yes I know he rejected our offer but this was a bloke who this time last year 99% of people on here would have been terrified of losing who for whatever reason is now left without a club. He should be in a better situation than he is.