Revised HHP Plans | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Revised HHP Plans

Apr 9, 2009
Mutley
Manchester Green":3rx2yrzr said:
John_Lloyd":3rx2yrzr said:
Two things that would be good to have clarified, once and for all:-

a) What is the precise reason for not using Cottage Field as part of the development plans?
b) Who is actually making that decision?

Good question.

The vibe I get - and please someone correct me if I'm wrong - is the club are preemptively deciding not to pursue CF because they don't think they have a hope in hell's chance of getting permission to build on it. It's a handy position to take, as on its face it takes away from them an element of blame.

If the WG plan is denied and anything is ever built on that field, it'll be an absolute betrayal.

Central Park AAP makes it perfectly clear that this IS part of land available for development.

N

NewCrossGreen

Tonycholwell: The stand will be built on the land Argyle currently lease, in fact where the stand is now.

In fact, won’t the new stand only occupy the area of the old terrace – that’s my understanding?
When thinking about this development, I believe it is important to always refer back to the amount of land the club will lose.

M

Monkey Nuts

No matter how many times I look at the cross section drawing of the new stand, I cannot see any reason why, with only a very small increase in footprint, the upper tier couldn't be expanded upwards to make it the same size as the lower tier. By my reckoning you can only be talking about another 2 or 3 meters bigger, vertically and horizontally.

Apart from the extra construction £££ obviously.

M

Monkey Nuts

Tim Chown":o4iofpcq said:
You mean as shown here?
Exactly!!!

Even if the council/Akkeron don't go for the whole 'piazza' idea, this bigger stand would only mean shifting the other elements of the development back a few meters. The ice arena wouldn't even have to sit slap bang on cottage field, just slightly closer or even slightly encroaching on it.

I know I'm not paying for it, but that seems a no-brainer from where I'm sat!

Dec 29, 2010
Am I missing something. Why can't the ice rink or cinema be built on the land set aside for the studio school. In other words the green land on the left as you enter Central Park from Outland road by the petrol station. I'm sure this would free up some space around the new stand. And stop Cottage Field being built on.

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
NewCrossGreen":6glabsx7 said:
Tonycholwell: The stand will be built on the land Argyle currently lease, in fact where the stand is now.

In fact, won’t the new stand only occupy the area of the old terrace – that’s my understanding?
When thinking about this development, I believe it is important to always refer back to the amount of land the club will lose.

It's worrying that so many people seem to not care about that.

Plus the amount of land currently behind the Mayflower, where the visiting teams coach parks, etc. It's a lot of "high value" land we're "giving away" to be grateful for our new shed.

R

RedGreen

John_Lloyd":2h4xivux said:
The way the runes are reading tells me that the revised HHP plans are, sadly, too late in the game.

This was a done deal, probably several months ago.

The notion that the fanbase or even the general Plymouth public ever had a genuine opportunity to amend, edit or revise the original Akkeron plan was PR spin and not much more than that.

Even that sop to transparency and accountability was managed poorly, with varying plans rushed out, retracted and represented, along with spurious and unlikely reasons why Cottage Field could not be developed, as we'd been told it could.

Questions over the placing of the access road and what it means for both future expansion and conflicts between cinema-goers, hotel residents, ice-rink visitors and football fans on matchday/nights seem to have been disregarded as well.

Only a small number of people ever had the chance to make constructive comments and they didn't consult the Argyle fanbase in doing so. That is a particular disappointment, when there was an elected representative body - the PASB - which was both available and mandated to represent the fans on issues that directly affect their matchday experience.

The design and location of the new Grandstand apparently didn't qualify for their purview. It makes you wonder what will.

What has probably surprised Akkeron and other key parties in this process is the quality, detail and speed of presentation of the alternative plan, as well as the impressive degree of scrutiny of their plans that followed their initial publication.

They probably expected the fanbase to be grateful that finally, after over a decade of delay, that something was going to be built at last.

In short, we probably should be grateful. It does seem churlish and contrarian to pick holes and find fault in this process.

But it could have been done so much better.

The result of the process we have seen unfold since mid-March is that there will be a sense of disappointment and lost opportunity that will be hard to shift, even when bricks are beginning to be laid at long last.

That is unfortunate.

Spot on, so much for the often vaunted inclusiveness and transparency.

We have been well and truly railroaded and shafted with this.

Reluctant bidder / owner my ass!

Words!!!
Can speak volumes , yet say and mean so little.

Got JB through the door on the cheap, a great and crafty campaign!

Nov 8, 2010
Greenblooded1":2os89t7v said:
NewCrossGreen":2os89t7v said:

It's worrying that so many people seem to not care about that.

Plus the amount of land currently behind the Mayflower, where the visiting teams coach parks, etc. It's a lot of "high value" land we're "giving away" to be grateful for our new shed.

Hadn't thought of it like that GB1 and NCG, thanks a bunch for further stoking my anger! :furious:

Sep 28, 2003
London
The more I think about this, the more I think JB has taken us all for a ride.

We're going to get a crap, cheapest possible stand that will restrict us instead of pushing us on, whilst JB makes out like a bandit from the commercial ventures he shepherds through to the detriment of the club.

I cannot see how anyone can defend the original plans: they are nothing more than a sham.

B

bandwagon

John_Lloyd":234mcuie said:
The way the runes are reading tells me that the revised HHP plans are, sadly, too late in the game.

The notion that the fanbase or even the general Plymouth public ever had a genuine opportunity to amend, edit or revise the original Akkeron plan was PR spin and not much more than that.

Even that sop to transparency and accountability was managed poorly, with varying plans rushed out, retracted and represented, along with spurious and unlikely reasons why Cottage Field could not be developed, as we'd been told it could.

Questions over the placing of the access road and what it means for both future expansion and conflicts between cinema-goers, hotel residents, ice-rink visitors and football fans on matchday/nights seem to have been disregarded as well.

Only a small number of people ever had the chance to make constructive comments and they didn't consult the Argyle fanbase in doing so. That is a particular disappointment, when there was an elected representative body - the PASB - which was both available and mandated to represent the fans on issues that directly affect their matchday experience.

The design and location of the new Grandstand apparently didn't qualify for their purview. It makes you wonder what will.

What has probably surprised Akkeron and other key parties in this process is the quality, detail and speed of presentation of the alternative plan, as well as the impressive degree of scrutiny of their plans that followed their initial publication.

They probably expected the fanbase to be grateful that finally, after over a decade of delay, that something was going to be built at last.

In short, we probably should be grateful. It does seem churlish and contrarian to pick holes and find fault in this process.

The result of the process we have seen unfold since mid-March is that there will be a sense of disappointment and lost opportunity that will be hard to shift, even when bricks are beginning to be laid at long last.

That is unfortunate.

This is the post I've been dreading - and if it happens I will always slate Brent for it!! As you say, this was always a back door deal and all the front of the exhibitions were just that, front!! I will never be grateful for the poo cut & shut job!! :furious: :furious: :furious:

Mar 14, 2009
bandwagon":i26mm7zx said:
John_Lloyd":i26mm7zx said:

That is unfortunate.

This is the post I've been dreading - and if it happens I will always slate Brent for it!! As you say, this was always a back door deal and all the front of the exhibitions were just that, front!! I will never be grateful for the poo cut & shut job!! :furious: :furious: :furious:

I understand about the improvements that could of been made.

Yet, I must ask, who is going to fund them? JB is a businessman and not a charity!

And I'm not Pro or Anti him......I just think people can have ideas of what they would like but when it comes to putting your hand in our pocket none of us would be doing this.

I understand though this is a chance to get it right. For me JB comes accross as an honest guy. Yet, I might be wrong. He could be doing a great many soundbites to get to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I mean why would you upset people who could make it difficult for you?

Truth is I just dont know. Yet if he didnt come and save us who would of?

Mar 21, 2013
Andy Holland":3ohs1yvs said:

We're going to get a crap, cheapest possible stand that will restrict us instead of pushing us on, whilst JB makes out like a bandit from the commercial ventures he shepherds through to the detriment of the club.

I cannot see how anyone can defend the original plans: they are nothing more than a sham.

God dammit it's post like this that get me coming back to this site when I'm trying my best to stop reading some more over the top nonsense. I have no doubt there are just as many people here on this site that are as happy with the plans presented then there are against it & that's not even getting started with the opinions of all the normal fans out there who just want to concentrate on the football side of things, making out that no one can defend these plans just because YOU don't like them & calling them a sham is just a complete overreaction to the situation, fine you don't agree with it, some people do, let them.

B

bandwagon

Don't_Panic":2w4dw4jd said:
Andy Holland":2w4dw4jd said:

God dammit it's post like this that get me coming back to this site when I'm trying my best to stop reading some more over the top nonsense. I have no doubt there are just as many people here on this site that are as happy with the plans presented then there are against it & that's not even getting started with the opinions of all the normal fans out there who just want to concentrate on the football side of things, making out that no one can defend these plans just because YOU don't like them & calling them a sham is just a complete overreaction to the situation, fine you don't agree with it, some people do, let them.

This being the case then some fans will get the stand they deserve - 3rd rate!!