Sheridan's future? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sheridan's future?

Should John Sheridan stay as manager?

• Yes

Votes: 81 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 385 76.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 36 7.2%

• Total voters
Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
I thought I'd braced myself for disappointment but did expect a genuine fight. Gutted.

Sheridan has not done a bad job but it's hardly remarkable either. In terms of pure results I could take it and give him another season or even two. But his real failure though is the atmosphere he brings to the place. What adjectives spring to mind? Dour, soulless, unimaginstive, colourless, sullen, workmanlike, uninspiring, suffocating.........take your pick or add your own. If he can't inspire fans desperate for something to celebrate after many grim years - no wonder he can't inspire players who regularly display the mental resilience of toddlers at the merest hint of pressure.

Ideally he will now walk - and we can then part on relatively amicable terms. Let's not forget he did drag us to survival when he arrived. Then he got us to play-offs after a couple of seasons even if it ended in failure and the journey was about as much fun as root canal work. So let's offer sincere thanks for the progress, but it's time for us and him to move on to something new now.

Jul 29, 2010
greengiant1886":4qw1cpni said:
Sheridan came to us at a time when the club was low and looking down and out of the football league. In his first half season in charge he did a fantastic job and even last season there were signs that we were beginning to look like a football team we could all be proud of again.

However, this season, with the squad we have, I think that most people will agree that we have under performed. I certainly expected us to be around 4th and maybe even slipping into 3rd, but we just didn't have that consistency.

Then though, we got the opportunity to show what we could do in front of the cameras, on a big stage, and the manager and the players blow it in the first leg. Despite this setback, we could see that we may still get through, if only we played with the side that finished that game and not with Ruben up front.

Of course, this didn't happen, and when the subs came on it was obvious that Sheridan had made a massive mistake. He knows that he has made that mistake, we know that he has made that mistake.

What bothers me is not so much that he made that mistake, although it was blindingly obvious what we needed to do, but the fact that even with the fans being on the verge of begging him to play the Ansah, Brunt and Banton threesome, he ignores what everyone is saying and puts out a side that hasn't been playing well for months.

The tactical ineptitude is obvious, there is a massive disparity with the fan base, and whilst he has managed to get in some quality players, they don't seem to work for Sheridan.

I have massive respect for what he did with the club, saving us from certain doom, but now I feel it is time for a change for both our goods. He clearly has a family up north, and although some do, I personally think that we should not criticise him for putting family first.

But above all of this, his heart AND our heart have both not been in it for a long time. He has failures like any other man. We could say this and that about him, but in my opinion he is a good manager, and we are a fantastic club. However, we are just not right for each other and so whilst I say it's time for Mr. Sheridan to leave, I do so by giving him a serious thank you for managing to get this ship sailing again.

ONWARD 2015-16 SEASON!! :scarf:

This.

The two goals in the first leg can now be dismissed as giving false hope. Over the two legs we were beaten by the better side, fair play to them.

But Wycombe's resources are tiny in comparison. Their manager got from their squad more than the sum of it's parts, ours didn't.

What those two goals did show us though is that there is life in the green army, there was support and it's no coincidence it was the catalyst for the comeback. That life, that spark, will be snuffed out of Argyle if another dull, frustrating and inconsistent season follows. Sadly that's all we can expect from JS next season.

Let's take the good bits of this play-off experience and move forwards. There's potential in the squad, there's massive latent support for an adventurous Argyle, let's harness both to a motivational manager who can realise potential.

Nigel Adkins is my choice, he's a 'builder' and a believer in youth. But we need to bring this unhappy marriage to an end.

PS - How can you lose your voice if all you do is mutter swear words to your players?.... answers on the back of a P45 please :wave:

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Tonight we had the right to expect some passion. We played so poorly in first half, but our minimum expectation should be a team playing with passion.

Jul 4, 2008
newton abbot
Only one man for the job. Warnock is the only one likely to instil any passion into this club.
Wotton isn't upto it yet. I want to see some fight in this great club. I certainly don't want to witness what I saw tonight ever again; a club giving up with a whimper. Sad, very sad.

C

chronicgreen

demportdave":39bssh0z said:
chronicgreen":39bssh0z said:
demportdave":39bssh0z said:
blightfoot66":39bssh0z said:
I have always defended Sheridan but after this I am having second thoughts. Why on earth he never started with the same team as he ended with on Saturday is beyond me. We were a far better team second half and if we had started with that team we wouldn't have been in the mess we were tonight.
So you are having second thoughts about Sheridan...

When will you finally make your mind up one way or the other. Perhaps this time next season?

You must be having a laugh, even chronicgreen wants Warnock instead now.

Look who's back :funny:
I realise it's difficult for you but try and put your sarcasm and personal bitterness to one side.

After watching back to back shambolic displays from an Argyle team lacking organisation, motivation and tactical nous in the 2 biggest games in recent memory, will you finally accept that those of us who highlighted these problems throughout the season and placed the responsibility for it with the Manager were actually right?

There's no bitterness from me Dave, disappointment yes, I said all along I'd judge Sheridan at the end of the season and all things considered and taking into account the fact that despite undoubted improvements in our finishing league positions year on year since his arrival with only modest backing from the owner I feel a fresh approach would be beneficial to all parties, Sheridan included.

Warnock would be a good fit for me IF he's prepared to work on a limited budget, he'd have the tactical nous to get us out of this league and the passion many have been calling for, however, there is no guarantee of success whoever is at the helm, perhaps in 12 months time we could then look back with hindsight and see if parting company with Sheridan had Payed dividends.

C

Cult Of Personality

Time for a change.

Never was a massive fan of his and the style of football this season has been some of the worst i have seen ( up there with Pulis )

Can we have someone who will not just play 5 3 2

Jul 29, 2010
Sorry, but Paul 'bleeds green' Wotton wasn't even as animated as John 'abuse yer own players' Sheridan :shock:

Sitting arms folded in the dug out during the most important game in years for your home town club doth not speak to me of passion, doth not speak to me of potential.

We switched over to the other game's extra time and Cocko showed more energy in 30 minutes than I've seen from Wotts all season. He is NOT any other answer than a cheap and not very cheerful one.

Big changes are needed, not replacing one dour, immotive and static figurehead for another.

Jul 3, 2013
blightfoot66":29d3k344 said:
demportdave":29d3k344 said:
blightfoot66":29d3k344 said:
I have always defended Sheridan but after this I am having second thoughts. Why on earth he never started with the same team as he ended with on Saturday is beyond me. We were a far better team second half and if we had started with that team we wouldn't have been in the mess we were tonight.
So you are having second thoughts about Sheridan...

When will you finally make your mind up one way or the other. Perhaps this time next season?

You must be having a laugh, even chronicgreen wants Warnock instead now.
Warnock is not the answer. Did we not learn any lessons from Luggy??? Never go back!!!!!!

Luggy wasn't the answer as he has no success At championship level or above! Warnock has.

Nov 22, 2006
this obsession with the idea of either Sturrock or Warnock coming back to replace Sheridan means that we will be automatically be better is bizarre, I personally think Warnock is starting to lose touch with the game nowadays and apparently unlike other I remember how "well" it went last time Sturrock returned wouldn't have either of them back the past is the past, people need to live in the now

as for Sheridan it's up to him, I dont see how it benefits Argyle by losing him and announcing a new manager in a months time when other teams have snapped players up already, but I wouldn't blame him for leaving he's not been a fan favourite for petty reasons but people are allowed their opinions I suppose :sigh:

as for this comment

Tugboat":m3ipbp5w said:
Damage has been done regardless

what damage has this man done to the club turned us from a club heading down to non league to a promotion challenger what a horrible terrible man he is :crazy:

X Isle":22xz0zu4 said:
Sorry, but Paul 'bleeds green' Wotton wasn't even as animated as John 'abuse yer own players' Sheridan :shock:

Sitting arms folded in the dug out during the most important game in years for your home town club doth not speak to me of passion, doth not speak to me of potential.

We switched over to the other game's extra time and Cocko showed more energy in 30 minutes than I've seen from Wotts all season. He is NOT any other answer than a cheap and not very cheerful one.

Big changes are needed, not replacing one dour, immotive and static figurehead for another.

Can't argue with that. I watched the whole game (first half alone in a bar, sad fecker), and it was embarrassing even then. Was joined by a Wycombe fan I'd met in the gym at lunchtime (not what it looks like) who actually said "is that your manager, looks like he couldn't care less".

From afar, we have half a team who are decent. Luke shocked me tonight with his flapping. Reid R just wasn't there, Blizzard wow, why? defence all over the shop, no midfield, no outlet. We ain't that far from a decent team though, but not with this manager. That said, if he was slumped like a spoilt kid, why wasn't Wotton up there giving it welly? McCarthy? There just isn't the passion there. Look at the other bench. With 2 minutes left, 2 goals up, they were pointing at their watches like a team of demented Fergusons. Passion, desire, tactical nous. We have none of those.

Green Giant":2bcjfvae said:
this obsession with the idea of either Sturrock or Warnock coming back to replace Sheridan means that we will be automatically be better is bizarre, I personally think Warnock is starting to lose touch with the game nowadays and apparently unlike other I remember how "well" it went last time Sturrock returned wouldn't have either of them back the past is the past, people need to live in the now

as for Sheridan it's up to him, I dont see how it benefits Argyle by losing him and announcing a new manager in a months time when other teams have snapped players up already, but I wouldn't blame him for leaving he's not been a fan favourite for petty reasons but people are allowed their opinions I suppose :sigh:

as for this comment

Tugboat":2bcjfvae said:
Damage has been done regardless

what damage has this man done to the club turned us from a club heading down to non league to a promotion challenger what a horrible terrible man he is :crazy:

GG, i finished the game wanting Sheridan gone but now i've had time to think, i agree with you, I think he should be allowed to continue, it's be a better season (barely but non the less) and we got to the play offs. I think the fact the JS admitted he got it wrong is a massive thing, it's not the sort of thing he usually says. Perhaps, just perhaps we can learn to love him? I've never understood all the horrible anti JS stuff, is it really because of the Friio thing all those years ago?