Should we be cheering on Exeter during the run in? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Should we be cheering on Exeter during the run in?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Golden Hind":1b5u3acx said:
We need to be careful though. That last minute goal today puts them in the mix. A good run and they could nick that last play-off spot.

I always laugh at people spouting off over local rivalries. They are brilliant and I love the big day when you are playing for local pride. The atmosphere is fantastic and the thought of bragging rights is great... but that's all it is. I have so much more respect for a die-hard City fan, than I do a Chelsea/Liverpool/Man U supporter living in the Southwest. They support their local club, they don't choose where they are from. People in Exeter, while having an increasingly different demographic these days, have more in common with people from Plymouth than fans of most other clubs in the country.

Local rivalries should be about pride in your own club, not some fabricated dislike of the other team, just because that is how it is supposed to be. In certain places there are reasons for the hostility. Glasgow being the obvious one where religion and politics play a historical role. Barca and Real is another where there is a political context than runs very deeply. Wimbledon have every right to dislike MK Dons, but most clubs need to get more positive about their local rivalries, rather than just turning them into hate-fests towards the other team. If Exeter was somewhere else in the country, people would say it was a nice awayday and the ground is a 'proper football ground' with charm. Instead we call it a dump.

I can remember how embarrassing it was when we tried to turn Bristol City and Southampton into our 'local' rivals and they couldn't give a to$$ about it. I'm not saying we should be all lovey dovey with them, but to 'hate' them just for the sake of them being our closest team of similar standing defies reason.
I agree, all this scum talk and people inserting asterisks rather than type Exeter I find a little sad and pathetic myself. I get more worked up and want us to win more on a match day against Exeter than any other team when we are in the same league and wouldn't wish them success if it meant them doing better than us. However during "normal" times when we were traditionally one or two divisions above them I would look out for their results as a West country team along with Torquay as our little county cousins. The season they won promotion from the 4th division back in the 70s in the days of Lammie Robertson and Graham Weekes I drove up to Exeter a couple of times during their run in to see them clinch promotion and was pleased for them. I suppose the difference then was as a 20 year old they weren't a rival at all being in the 4th division from the day I started following Argyle as a 9 year old, a division we had never been in.

T

Tavyred

Keep the positive vibes coming bheys and you never know we might have a Devon Expressway Derby at Wembley to look forward to! :)

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Transfer embargo before the season.

Most of your best players sold in the summer/January.

Beaten 6-1 by us on aggregate.

Small crowds. Very limited resources. And you're still level with us in the table. How the hell does Tidsdale do it.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Dan Ellard":1xfmwibn said:

Small crowds. Very limited resources. And you're still level with us in the table. How the hell does Tidsdale do it.
because he works a hell of a lot harder than our management army and he is tactically aware.let's get him here next season when the oafs that are being paid fortunes get their deserved sackings. :furious:

T

Tavyred

Dan Ellard":2ykmo8ew said:

We`re a middling 4th tier club, perhaps the more pertinent question is why aren`t Argyle running away with this league.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Tavyred":2z847fsv said:
Dan Ellard":2z847fsv said:

We`re a middling 4th tier club, perhaps the more pertinent question is why aren`t Argyle running away with this league.

You've caught us before only to fall by the wayside. You have done well over the last few weeks and we've been poor but you cannot sustain those results. Stevenage looks the best bet to crash the party, it only depends now whether Newport regains their form.

I personally would love to play you guys at Wembley. Can't see an easier tie to be honest which means neither of us would deserve to be there at the expense of Bury or Southend.

T

Tavyred

Ade the green":1zmh7rmf said:
Tavyred":1zmh7rmf said:
Dan Ellard":1zmh7rmf said:

You've caught us before only to fall by the wayside. You have done well over the last few weeks and we've been poor but you cannot sustain those results. Stevenage looks the best bet to crash the party, it only depends now whether Newport regains their form.

I personally would love to play you guys at Wembley. Can't see an easier tie to be honest which means neither of us would deserve to be there at the expense of Bury or Southend.

Fair appraisal of the situation you`ve made there.
With our tough looking run-in logic would dictate that we miss out, but we do have momentum and seem to play better against the top teams. Tisdale has made one or two canny loan signings and seems to have finally got Harley playing like his first spell with us. I personally wouldn`t judge us on our derby performances against your lot.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Tavyred":1rup01lk said:
Ade the green":1rup01lk said:
Tavyred":1rup01lk said:
Dan Ellard":1rup01lk said:

Fair appraisal of the situation you`ve made there.
With our tough looking run-in logic would dictate that we miss out, but we do have momentum and seem to play better against the top teams. Tisdale has made one or two canny loan signings and seems to have finally got Harley playing like his first spell with us. I personally wouldn`t judge us on our derby performances against your lot.

The fly in the ointment is Luton. With them going on an end of season charity drive and dolling out points like a man with no arms, any team with anything about them can almost guarantee the three points.

Can't be 100% sure but I think they play Newport on the last day. If ever a season comes down to one game this is it. I really can't see how they've gone from top three to upper mid table so fast.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Dan Ellard":1842z06g said:

It's as much to do with our Manager under-achieving as if it with theirs over-achieving.

With respect to Exeter, we should be at least 10 points clear of them in the table.

It shows what can be achieved with a fully committed, full time Manager who spends most of his week on the training ground working with the players to get them to play how he wants them to.

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
demportdave":ov3jmpri said:
Dan Ellard":ov3jmpri said:

It's as much to do with our Manager under-achieving as if it with theirs over-achieving.

With respect to Exeter, we should be at least 10 points clear of them in the table.

It shows what can be achieved with a fully committed, full time Manager who spends most of his week on the training ground working with the players to get them to play how he wants them to.

If Argyle are even playing Exeter in the league, it's an underachievement, let alone having them finishing above us.

T

Tavyred

landons forehead":wyvp4kln said:
demportdave":wyvp4kln said:
Dan Ellard":wyvp4kln said:

If Argyle are even playing Exeter in the league, it's an underachievement, let alone having them finishing above us.

The 100th competitive game between our two clubs this season I believe! :)

Sep 21, 2003
Peverell
Tavyred":dhf4vxw9 said:
landons forehead":dhf4vxw9 said:
demportdave":dhf4vxw9 said:
Dan Ellard":dhf4vxw9 said:

The 100th competitive game between our two clubs this season I believe! :)

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm no great hater of Exeter. The city is my alma mater and I lived there seven years in all. I even took in a few City games as I only lived down the road. So I find it hard to get all hot under the collar from a rivalry perspective. Far rather have a beer with a City fan than some tool who's just bought his United shirt from Sports Direct in Plymouth, Exeter or Torquay.

But as you've mentioned yourself, Exeter are by and large a fourth tier side. I'm not happy when we're playing in the fourth tier.