Should we be cheering on Exeter during the run in? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Should we be cheering on Exeter during the run in?

T

Tavyred

landons forehead":27guo6th said:
Tavyred":27guo6th said:
landons forehead":27guo6th said:
demportdave":27guo6th said:
Dan Ellard":27guo6th said:
Transfer embargo before the season.

Most of your best players sold in the summer/January.

Beaten 6-1 by us on aggregate.

Small crowds. Very limited resources. And you're still level with us in the table. How the hell does Tidsdale do it.
It's as much to do with our Manager under-achieving as if it with theirs over-achieving.

With respect to Exeter, we should be at least 10 points clear of them in the table.

It shows what can be achieved with a fully committed, full time Manager who spends most of his week on the training ground working with the players to get them to play how he wants them to.

If Argyle are even playing Exeter in the league, it's an underachievement, let alone having them finishing above us.

The 100th competitive game between our two clubs this season I believe! :)

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm no great hater of Exeter. The city is my alma mater and I lived there seven years in all. I even took in a few City games as I only lived down the road. So I find it hard to get all hot under the collar from a rivalry perspective. Far rather have a beer with a City fan than some tool who's just bought his United shirt from Sports Direct in Plymouth, Exeter or Torquay.

But as you've mentioned yourself, Exeter are by and large a fourth tier side. I'm not happy when we're playing in the fourth tier.

I do get that.
My point is that if being in the same league as City is under achievement, then having played against us 100 times, that`s some under achievement!

Nov 11, 2006
cheshiregreen":iml1x0z4 said:
IJN":iml1x0z4 said:
Competitive?

Two comfortable wins for us this season, but, they're are the form team currently.

Edit - 3rd behind Burton and Bury in last 6.

They're 1st over the last 8. Over the same 8 games we're 17th. Pains me to say it but there's usually a team that comes from nowhere to grab a play off place and they are looking like they are that team this season.

Having said that, they have got a very tough run in playing 3 of the top 5, and 2 other form teams in Hartlepool and Dagenham & Redbridge

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
There are 5 teams fighting for 2 play off places. I am no longer sure I fancy our chances - we are too dependent on goals from Reid, if he doesn't score we have nothing.

I also think Holmes-Dennis is the worst left-back (or wing back) we have ever had, and we have had some shockers. Never posted against one particular player before, but get him out of the team.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Tavyred":2bx9fgn9 said:
landons forehead":2bx9fgn9 said:
Tavyred":2bx9fgn9 said:
landons forehead":2bx9fgn9 said:
demportdave":2bx9fgn9 said:
Dan Ellard":2bx9fgn9 said:
Transfer embargo before the season.

Most of your best players sold in the summer/January.

Beaten 6-1 by us on aggregate.

Small crowds. Very limited resources. And you're still level with us in the table. How the hell does Tidsdale do it.
It's as much to do with our Manager under-achieving as if it with theirs over-achieving.

With respect to Exeter, we should be at least 10 points clear of them in the table.

It shows what can be achieved with a fully committed, full time Manager who spends most of his week on the training ground working with the players to get them to play how he wants them to.

If Argyle are even playing Exeter in the league, it's an underachievement, let alone having them finishing above us.

The 100th competitive game between our two clubs this season I believe! :)

Hey, don't get me wrong. I'm no great hater of Exeter. The city is my alma mater and I lived there seven years in all. I even took in a few City games as I only lived down the road. So I find it hard to get all hot under the collar from a rivalry perspective. Far rather have a beer with a City fan than some tool who's just bought his United shirt from Sports Direct in Plymouth, Exeter or Torquay.

But as you've mentioned yourself, Exeter are by and large a fourth tier side. I'm not happy when we're playing in the fourth tier.

I do get that.
My point is that if being in the same league as City is under achievement, then having played against us 100 times, that`s some under achievement!
Does this include Devon Bowl games? How many times have we played them in League 1 or old 3rd division, the pinnacle of their league achievement? This would paint a much truer picture.

Nov 4, 2012
I told you if Exeter won these two they would be right in it. To think they were actually on the verge of a protest against Tisdale. Where would they be without him? Playing Torquay in the van league is my guess.

C

Cobi Budge.

Womble":28n5ewui said:
There are 5 teams fighting for 2 play off places. I am no longer sure I fancy our chances - we are too dependent on goals from Reid, if he doesn't score we have nothing.

I also think Holmes-Dennis is the worst left-back (or wing back) we have ever had, and we have had some shockers. Never posted against one particular player before, but get him out of the team.

THD is pretty poor but I'd still have him over Blackman & Reckord any day.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think Womble is just trying to voice his dissatisfaction, no one in their right mind could claim he is THE worst, you have highlighted just a couple of recent examples.

We have to give Exeter their due, they do not give up, they do not lay down and die, and amazingly, they keep on coming back when they are losing a game.

The league NEVER lies, we are a better team than them (we humiliated them twice this season) BUT they are as good as us in this league at this moment.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
PAFC94":3uh1olbm said:
I told you if Exeter won these two they would be right in it. To think they were actually on the verge of a protest against Tisdale. Where would they be without him? Playing Torquay in the van league is my guess.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we above them in the table and aren't we constantly on the verge of protesting against Sheridan?

G

greengiant1886

Ade the green":39o4ex9l said:
PAFC94":39o4ex9l said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we above them in the table and aren't we constantly on the verge of protesting against Sheridan?

To be fair, Exeter's playing squad is nowhere near as good as ours, but Tisdale utilises there's a lot better. Sheridan is great at getting talent in but doesn't know how to optimise its potential, Tisdale gets very average players in but they play just as well as us.

A combination of the two and you have a championship manager.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Ade the green":ifpahwzo said:
PAFC94":ifpahwzo said:

Slightly different scenarios Ade. One level with us in the table against all odds and the other generally felt not to have got close to the best out of the tools at his disposal. Compare it to us after coming out of administration and rather than narrowly avoiding the drop to non league instead having a real go at the top 6.

Nov 4, 2012
Ade the green":29mx4fes said:
PAFC94":29mx4fes said:

Being out of the bottom 2 is over achieving on their budget, when they were moaning they were comfortably mid-table which should have been seen as more than adequate. Where they are now is staggering. We are under performing in my opinion. We should have a Play-off place in the bag with this squad.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Ade the green":23r62i69 said:
PAFC94":23r62i69 said:

Which Manager do you think has performed best with the resources available to him?

Who do you think is the most tactically aware?