The missing fans! | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The missing fans!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
IJN":2h6ptxn4 said:
Agree with others, I thought it was a good league.

The one thing I would pick up on though is Womble's comment regarding this league.

I'm not sure it is anymore!

Good honest teams giving it their all is all I see these days. Can's say I've seen a dog awful team yet, home are away.

We're all into giving clubs respect these days, perhaps we should try given some to league we all play in.

Don't get me wrong, can't wait to get promoted, but this division is getting better and better.

I agree. It is nowhere near as bad as some are regularly suggesting in unnecessarily insulting language.

We all want to get out of this league as quickly as possible but most of the teams that come here are committed, motivated and enthusiastic and certainly, this season, I am much happier watching Argyle playing rather than the antics of the 'prima donnas' in the Premier and Champions Leagues.

There is nothing like watching your own team live.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
IJN":2j9prlj5 said:
I'm not so sure about that JPT game you know.

We've talked it up but it is only a tin pot trophy, I know it's against the six toes but will we really get anywhere near 8000?

As people have already said on here, the games coming thick and fast and it does cost money to attend.

We'll have to wait and see, but I'd never miss a league game, and probably attend this one, but if work called, I wouldn't break my heart over it.

I'm not sure the Greeks are that fussed either.

I dunno, It'l give them a chance to see a GOOD LOCAL STADIUM. :greensmile:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
PL2 3DQ":38qjw0d1 said:
IJN":38qjw0d1 said:
I'm not so sure about that JPT game you know.

We've talked it up but it is only a tin pot trophy, I know it's against the six toes but will we really get anywhere near 8000?

As people have already said on here, the games coming thick and fast and it does cost money to attend.

We'll have to wait and see, but I'd never miss a league game, and probably attend this one, but if work called, I wouldn't break my heart over it.

I'm not sure the Greeks are that fussed either.

Ian, we had 9,400 at HP when we played Exeter in the JPT in 2010. We could even top that on Tuesday.

Yeah I know mate, but both sets of fans were gagging for it, as it was what, 8/9 years since they had the honour of playing Devon's premier side?

Now it's a regular occurrence again (due to us being in the lower leagues) I don't think it'll be as big a deal as what some people think.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Clarke_B":1g2xzki4 said:
6K is a fantastic turnout considering all the factors listed by other people. Think the OP needs a dose of prozac :)
I wouldn't go as far as to say fantastic. Pre the last 3 seasons the official attendance would have been about 5,200, the number actually at the game which isn't great considering the start we have made and better all round feel good factor. It isn't bad either considering the various other factors mentioned. I didn't foresee much more than 7,000 at the JPT game but if we had over 9,000 last time then maybe I underestimate things. Although not our major priority a win over our neighbours would nonetheless be a good morale booster for the club and fanbase generally and some welcome extra unbudgeted income.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Can't have it both ways, can you. If fickle means easily influenced, and if the folks who are not easily influenced wish to see more than a handful of home games - the biggest of which we lost - before consigning years of being a woeful excuse of a sports business to the all-is-forgiven 'folder', then credit to them.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'll never understand the stay aways Gary, particularly people who live in Plymouth. Although, if I lived away from Britain's Ocean City I doubt whether I would have made the trek that some do, week in and week out.

Some use money as an excuse, but as I always say, if we pulled Man Utd out of the hat, there would be 1000's that raid their piggy bank to do that one, which somewhat nullifies that argument somewhat.

I must fall into the 'easily influenced' bracket then, but I prefer to call it 'loyal'. :greensmile:

Saying that, I'll be delighted when we start creeping past 8,000 on a regular basis, if we carry on this winning trend, but I will always (in my head) think that the 6,000 are the dedicated boys and girls.

:scarf:

Dec 2, 2005
London
We attracted 5,657 to watch us lose to Wycombe in a comparable fixture last year so we are 450 up on that (8.1%).

These things snowball though. In promotion years we attendances properly pick up after Christmas; the "missing", or whatever you want to call them, fans want to be sure we're going paces until they invest their time and money in Argyle.

I've been an exile for a while now and there is an end of season mentality to that too. I can't afford every home game (£100 return train) so you look at the fixtures and think Dagenham on easter weekend is a better investment than Crawley in October; regardless of league position.

If we keep this up they will come. If we are in and around the promotion spots all year our average will be around 11000. Unfortunately, most of the bumper crowds will be after the transfer window's closed so not much use in the short term!

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
I don't get the Man U argument there.
Not that many go to the cinema just to be at the cinema, some do, most weigh up what's showing. And Budo church will never be as full on a sunny weekend in summer as on Christmas eve. Though many tangible similarities to the respective events, the intangible differences are vast. So the IP of money shifts accordingly.
Loyalty seems to involve little thinking, can't be all bad.

Living away is the reason I don't, but could rarely afford the time or money on Saturdays when nearby. Always go on boxing day with my mum now, but do completely understand those who can't every two weeks or so

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Clarke_B":35wvzxyr said:
6K is a fantastic turnout considering all the factors listed by other people. Think the OP needs a dose of prozac :)
The factors generally listed on this thread are just excuses for a poor turnout, the reality is only 5200 actually bothered coming on Tuesday, considering the start we've had,that was really poor! I used to always compare us to the likes of Portsmouth etc, I know how big this club can be, but Portsmouths gate was 2 1/2 times bigger than ours, we always say given success see the crowds shoot up! We should have attracted more IMHO. :scarf:
PS. I prefer venalfaxine :thumbs:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Am I being dim here, where did you get the figure of 5200 from. There certainly wasn't 900 Barnet fans there. :greensmile:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
IJN":1al9wr90 said:
Am I being dim here, where did you get the figure of 5200 from. There certainly wasn't 900 Barnet fans there. :greensmile:
I think he may gave picked up on my post Ian. It was me who estimated 5, 200 actually there allowing for all the non attending membership holders out of the 4,200 we were told we had. With non regulars, school age members, those living further afield, those despite being members who considered 3 games in close proximity too much expense, those sacrificing the game to sit in and watch Champions league etc.etc. its probably not far off the mark.

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
jerryatricjanner":24g9nshh said:
IJN":24g9nshh said:
I think he may gave picked up on my post Ian. It was me who estimated 5, 200 actually there allowing for all the non attending membership holders out of the 4,200 we were told we had. With non regulars, school age members, those living further afield, those despite being members who considered 3 games in close proximity too much expense, those sacrificing the game to sit in and watch Champions league etc.etc. its probably not far off the mark.
Indeed this! It never looked like 6K, honestly a really poor turnout.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Ah right, yeah I agree with that.

Shame really, nothing like a midweek game to warm the cockles of a supporter's heart.

Brings back memories of Hore, Neale and Dunne.

Mar 18, 2006
Will be interesting to see what the attendance is on Saturday .

Agree, cost is an issue, 2-3 games in a week is not affordable to many.

Never understand the Champions league excuse through . I support Argyle, not Arsenal or Chelsea, so why would I want to watch the TV when my team are playing ?

I do believe our fans are more fickle than others , the gap between our lowest and highest gates each season proves that . We have to accept that many will turn up once a year on Boxing Day, and win lose or draw won't be back until the play offs come around .

That said , compared to most L2 clubs the crowd was good on Tuesday night .

Accepting travel, school night , money etc, the fact remains people would have gone under the same circumstances if we were home to a Premier League side in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday night .
Will stop there before it turns into another ' Home park isn't big enough ' debate !