The missing fans! | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The missing fans!

Nov 7, 2012
Plymouth
ghost of hughie reed":dhtgr3oo said:
Knarf Reprah":dhtgr3oo said:
It's down to cost. My youngest daughter loves her football and against the Gas I was lucky enough to be awarded pasoti tickets for them. Vikki loved her day and wanted to come to the Crawley game, she has two children aged 15 and 10 and are on the minimum wage or just above it. I said great Vik, we'll meet up but did she have £100 to spare? That's how much it would cost for four tickets for her family, train fare from cornwall, Fanfest, a couple of drinks and a burger etc
THAT IS WHY CROWDS ARE DOWN END OF

Mostly this. Fans priced out nationally.
Argyle support has held up well considering, we went through a long period historically where our gate was 5 to 6 K when we were in old league div 3. Get the product right and we have the scope to increase average gates further.
Agree on both posts :iagree: :iagree:

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
SwimWithTheTide":8erreaju said:
Mork":8erreaju said:
oddball":8erreaju said:
IJN":8erreaju said:
Ah right, yeah I agree with that.

Shame really, nothing like a midweek game to warm the cockles of a supporter's heart.

Brings back memories of Hore, Neale and Dunne.

and in !975.....28.000 turned up on a cold dark February,Tuesday evening to watch Argyle v Blackburn...and judging by that attendance most of us old uns who are here now,were there then....
My first game at home park 1976 27k, the mere whiff of success back then would put thousands on the gate, I no reminiscing on the past is pointless, but when the fairweather fans don't even bother to turn up I begin to think there's been a major shift in our support, Hope I'm wrong.

"Fairweather fans", what does that even mean? Fans that only turn up when convenient and enjoyable for them? It's a football club and entertainment, not a chore ffs.
It means fans that only turn up when the entertainment and results are good. I'm not criticising them at all, my point is which you obviously fail to see is that there not turning up now. :banghead:

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Mork":28tdloia said:
SwimWithTheTide":28tdloia said:
Mork":28tdloia said:
oddball":28tdloia said:
IJN":28tdloia said:

Shame really, nothing like a midweek game to warm the cockles of a supporter's heart.

and in !975.....28.000 turned up on a cold dark February,Tuesday evening to watch Argyle v Blackburn...and judging by that attendance most of us old uns who are here now,were there then....
My first game at home park 1976 27k, the mere whiff of success back then would put thousands on the gate, I no reminiscing on the past is pointless, but when the fairweather fans don't even bother to turn up I begin to think there's been a major shift in our support, Hope I'm wrong.

"Fairweather fans", what does that even mean? Fans that only turn up when convenient and enjoyable for them? It's a football club and entertainment, not a chore ffs.
It means fans that only turn up when the entertainment and results are good. I'm not criticising them at all, my point is which you obviously fail to see is that there not turning up now. :banghead:

But crowds are up, so what's your point? I've been to 9 games this season, but didn't go today? What do you wish to assume of me?

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
SwimWithTheTide":3ivl8su5 said:
Mork":3ivl8su5 said:
SwimWithTheTide":3ivl8su5 said:
Mork":3ivl8su5 said:
oddball":3ivl8su5 said:
IJN":3ivl8su5 said:

My first game at home park 1976 27k, the mere whiff of success back then would put thousands on the gate, I no reminiscing on the past is pointless, but when the fairweather fans don't even bother to turn up I begin to think there's been a major shift in our support, Hope I'm wrong.[/quoteee? I'm not. I'm concerned that were not attracting the numbers I thought we would. You might think 6k (really a lot less than that) is

But crowds are up, so what's your point? I've been to 9 games this season, but didn't go today? What do you wish to assume of me?
I assume your a loyal Argyle fan, I think, you think, I'm having a go at people who didn't turn up on Tuesday, I'm not, I'm concerned (given are current form etc) that were not attracting more support. You may think 6k( really less than that ) is acceptable, I don't. I'm not comparing us to the likes of Wycombe etc. I'm comparing us to Pompey, shoot me down for doing that if you want, but thats the only club in this league I feel worth comparing.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
Pompey won the cup recently and not so long ago were hosting AC Milan. This wsd following a prolonged period of sucess in the premier league. We on the other hand have done the square root of f all.

I understand you comparing the 2 clubs on size, but I don't believe your are factoring in the impact of relatively recent success in adding to the core fanbase.

May 8, 2011
There were 2000 less Argyle fans at the game yesterday then turned out against Bristol Rovers. So do people come to watch the opposition?

E

Ed_Blackburn

If we're still near the top after the Christmas fixtures. Depending on where people's post-Christmas pay days fall I expect averages to push towards 10K.

The real trick will be retaining momentum into next season. If we fail to go up we must hit the ground running to keep those fans. If we go up we need some good early fixtures or a good start to the season.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
HC Green":31ozancn said:
There were 2000 less Argyle fans at the game yesterday then turned out against Bristol Rovers. So do people come to watch the opposition?

Its a factor for me. Knowing I can't make every game, I'll look at the fixture list and see which I can and then I'll look for the more "stand out" matches and see if I can manoeuvre my schedule to get to Home Park when necessary.

The best comparison isn't one week to the next, but how this fixture last season compares to the current season. Crowds are up, performances are up, entertainment levels are up - don't sweat it, enjoy it.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Enjoy.. That's the word of importance!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Yesterday we had the fifth highest attendance in League One and Two. Only Portsmouth, Wigan, Coventry and the Yorkshire derby of Doncaster v Barnsley had higher gates.

Nov 6, 2011
Our attendances are poor. We're flying high, playing good football yet we can only just scrap 7,000 yesterday. Even in the championship days we were only averaging just over 10,000, very poor indeed for a city the size of Plymouth and the catchment area. Pompey on the other hand...