The return of Simon Walton | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The return of Simon Walton

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
soccerpilgrim":narywtub said:
He won't be booed; no supporter has any reason to. He was one of my favourites during that first Fletcher season, as was Purse and Blanchard, because without them we'd have been even weaker and would probably be a Conference player today. Having said that, he's average even for League Two, so was he really Championship quality when we paid over £300k for him!?

He had the potential to be a great player which is why we paid so much so just a shame that he didn't see it out.

He has made a good career in League 2, but at the time I guess Sturrock thought he had a future in the Championship

Apr 15, 2008
London
I don't believe in booing ex-players - it's something you should have got over by the age of twelve (unless, of course they've run off with your missus or keyed your Jag).

Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
Womble said:
Can't stick him. I don't boo past players (I never booed Capaldi for instance) but wont applaud him - did f all for us.

Did f### all for us?
Very harsh imo. we avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth and his goals and pens were a major reason we escaped.

Was never worth anything like the money we paid for him and he's probably found his level in league 2 but when poo hit the fan he stood up.

P

Paul_Roberts

r4h4al":38sdul05 said:
soccerpilgrim":38sdul05 said:
He won't be booed; no supporter has any reason to. He was one of my favourites during that first Fletcher season, as was Purse and Blanchard, because without them we'd have been even weaker and would probably be a Conference player today. Having said that, he's average even for League Two, so was he really Championship quality when we paid over £300k for him!?

He had the potential to be a great player which is why we paid so much so just a shame that he didn't see it out.

He has made a good career in League 2, but at the time I guess Sturrock thought he had a future in the Championship

I'm not too sure he was Sturrock's signing. Sturrock may have been manager at the time, but I don't know how much he had to do with Walton joining the club.

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
Paul_Roberts":7f5wznle said:
r4h4al":7f5wznle said:
soccerpilgrim":7f5wznle said:

I'm not too sure he was Sturrock's signing. Sturrock may have been manager at the time, but I don't know how much he had to do with Walton joining the club.

He seemed delighted about signing him at the time, from what I understand very much his signing

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
crownhillpilgrim":6lxbypum said:
I don't believe in booing ex-players - it's something you should have got over by the age of twelve (unless, of course they've run off with your missus or keyed your Jag).
Slight amendment
I don't believe in booing ex-players - it's something you should have got over by the age of twelve (unless, of course they've keyed your car)
:whistle:

Jul 29, 2010
Awful signing, poor player and the reason we got into such a financial mess personified.

None of those however were his fault and I bow to the observations of those who report on his generous personality.

Laughed like a drain when 'pool took him off our hands but wouldn't boo him. He was inoffensive and it'd be counter productive........ much like his contribution to the team then ;-)

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
X Isle":2tlguz7n said:
Awful signing, poor player and the reason we got into such a financial mess personified.

None of those however were his fault and I bow to the observations of those who report on his generous personality.

Laughed like a drain when 'pool took him off our hands but wouldn't boo him. He was inoffensive and it'd be counter productive........ much like his contribution to the team then ;-)

Yeah I think a lot of our fans wanted us to spend big at that point but without a sugardaddy like other clubs have then administration was the result of spending big. I suppose in a way League 2 is our level because when we were in the Championship we just couldn't compete financially.

Jul 29, 2010
r4h4al":29zrcsfx said:
X Isle":29zrcsfx said:

Yeah I think a lot of our fans wanted us to spend big at that point but without a sugardaddy like other clubs have then administration was the result of spending big. I suppose in a way League 2 is our level because when we were in the Championship we just couldn't compete financially.

That's an interesting angle to look at it. If he was booed how many booing would be those who also harangued the board to spend the money we didn't have to buy him and the others?

Careful what you wish for :sad:

Our level though is a whole other debate, pretty much done on the 'will it happen' thread last week.....

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=85110

League 2 us NOT our level though, we're naturally a League 1/Championship club I'd say. It's going beyond that where our problem lies.

But we digress.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
In terms of performances I don't think he justified the £750,000 price tag BUT by sticking with the Club, waving goodbye to big part of his wages and supporting the younger players I think he fully justified (and more) his status as a 'Club Hero'.

Mar 18, 2006
I for one certainly wouldn't boo the bloke and in my opinion anyone who does is a muppet.
May not have been the greatest player the club has ever had, but he , like many, stuck by us, and went without pay to make sure the club survived .

That's worthy of respect in my book.

Jul 29, 2010
Think the £750k figure was 'outed' as a myth. T'was the overall figure with 'add on's', think it was somewhere round £200-250k up front.

Even so that's between £199.99-£249.99k more than he was worth :facepalm:

Jul 6, 2011
I agree with the general feeling. Met the bloke in town that penalty-laden season and he was a genuinely nice person who didn't seem flash at all.
I too wish him all the best from Wednesday onwards, but sods law he will probably score against us. Has helluva shot on him :shocked: