The return of Simon Walton | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The return of Simon Walton

Aug 15, 2008
Bloody hell people...... Booing a guy who went ages without money whilst in our employ. A Guy who changed his attitude and actually played a big part in the mini revival that enabled us to sidestep the trapdoor.
I get that he is not everyones cup of tea but Dario Gradi rated him once.

Show some class guys please :)

Mar 23, 2008
Feel rather indifferent, he let us down at the start but deserves great credit for sticking around and trying to right the wrong. No need to boo or give a hero's welcome, a decent clap seems appropriate.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
I was infuriated with the idiots who abused him on Twitter (much like some people do now to Morgan) when he was constantly giving his all every second of every game to keep us in this league, I'm a pessimist so I fear those same idiots will boo him and I don't want Walton to think that that's what we, as a fanbase, think of him.

The entire team that season, as well as staff, kept us up football-wise, but no one more so than our captain.

Dreamgreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
I thought he played his best game for us in his first match when he played in the back four. Was it against Woves at HP ?

Anyway he looked like he had a bit of style.

In truth it never quite happened for him. Sad but true.

He spoke at the Fanfest one day - and about his voluntary reduction in wages to keep us afloat. His credibility went through the roof for me that day.

Jan 27, 2012
PL2 3DQ":2gwyoedt said:
He had his problems during the early stages of his Argyle career but really matured as a player during our period in administration

Matured in the sense that he got better with age, or that his ass turned to vinegar ?
(to quote Marcellus Wallace in Pulp Fiction)

I'm a big fan of Sturrock (even second time around) but Walton was a bad error of judgement. He's rubbish.

Having said that, I have nothing against Walton. He tried his best for Argyle and was the best of a bad bunch during the administration season. I hope he is shown some respect as he deserves it.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I think it should be acknowledged by supporters that we should be grateful to his prowess for taking penalties. We were very grateful for his blasts in key games.

P

Paul_Roberts

earl grey":1uqhctrk said:
Paul_Roberts":1uqhctrk said:
r4h4al":1uqhctrk said:
soccerpilgrim":1uqhctrk said:
He won't be booed; no supporter has any reason to. He was one of my favourites during that first Fletcher season, as was Purse and Blanchard, because without them we'd have been even weaker and would probably be a Conference player today. Having said that, he's average even for League Two, so was he really Championship quality when we paid over £300k for him!?

He had the potential to be a great player which is why we paid so much so just a shame that he didn't see it out.

He has made a good career in League 2, but at the time I guess Sturrock thought he had a future in the Championship

I'm not too sure he was Sturrock's signing. Sturrock may have been manager at the time, but I don't know how much he had to do with Walton joining the club.

He seemed delighted about signing him at the time, from what I understand very much his signing

Let's just say the truth will come out one day.

As for booing ex players, I can only think of one who really deserved it...

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
Paul_Roberts":2v71096w said:
earl grey":2v71096w said:
Paul_Roberts":2v71096w said:
r4h4al":2v71096w said:
soccerpilgrim":2v71096w said:
He won't be booed; no supporter has any reason to. He was one of my favourites during that first Fletcher season, as was Purse and Blanchard, because without them we'd have been even weaker and would probably be a Conference player today. Having said that, he's average even for League Two, so was he really Championship quality when we paid over £300k for him!?

He had the potential to be a great player which is why we paid so much so just a shame that he didn't see it out.

He has made a good career in League 2, but at the time I guess Sturrock thought he had a future in the Championship

I'm not too sure he was Sturrock's signing. Sturrock may have been manager at the time, but I don't know how much he had to do with Walton joining the club.

He seemed delighted about signing him at the time, from what I understand very much his signing

Let's just say the truth will come out one day.

As for booing ex players, I can only think of one who really deserved it...

Maclean, Bhasera for stealing the POTY Trophy, anymore?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It has to be Swan.

bth_boooo.gif

P

Paul_Roberts

IJN":i8q4x63k said:
It has to be Swan.

bth_boooo.gif

The one and only.

Can't think of any other Argyle player who celebrated a goal by running into the centre circle and making an up yours gesture to his own fans.

Trouble is, I think the various stories about his one season in Plymouth have ended up making him something of a cult figure (no, that wasn't a typo). I think if he ever came back to Home Park again he would be booed for sure, but - as Crownhill says - in more of a tongue-in-cheek pantomime way.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Paul_Roberts":1i06e1g1 said:
IJN":1i06e1g1 said:
It has to be Swan.

bth_boooo.gif

The one and only.

Can't think of any other Argyle player who celebrated a goal by running into the centre circle and making an up yours gesture to his own fans.

Trouble is, I think the various stories about his one season in Plymouth have ended up making him something of a cult figure (no, that wasn't a typo). I think if he ever came back to Home Park again he would be booed for sure, but - as Crownhill says - in more of a tongue-in-cheek pantomime way.

Steve MacLean did a similar gesture to the Devonport End and then carried along half the length of the pitch gesturing to the fans in the Mayflower.
Funny how our villains cost a lot in transfer fees.