the thomas debate | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

the thomas debate

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
I thought Thomas had a good game, gave an output that wasn't hoofing it up and expecting Morgan to control it all the bloody time. Yes there were a few bad passes and crosses but for starters he's young and still learning. I wouldn't start him yet though, still too inconsistent, I would definitely look to bring him on more to change the game however.

Mar 23, 2008
1985nhangingon":1h7quavo said:
It was great to see 45mins of a proper wide player getting quality crosses in,this is what football is all about
Exactly. We are generally a solid enough team but like the manager we are very dour. Thomas injects some life and excitement, gave the vast majority of fans a real lift on a lifeless display. As for those bemoaning his tracking back I thought he did ok, more encouraged by the excitement to add some much needed entertainment at HP.

Mar 23, 2008
PAFC94":1pr3812v said:
Deacster":1pr3812v said:
A rare spark of excitement on a dour day.

We did win...
I know but the general performance wasn't great and after Weds defeat the atmosphere was poor. A win is a win but felt a fairly hollow victory.

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
I loved his finish today. I've even seen Reid and Alessandra both have 1-on-1's like that and scuff a shot at the keeper but Thomas had the composure to finish covincingly.

Aug 11, 2013
I think people have to remember this guy has been aching to show what he can do. He will be match rusty. He's desperate to impress and when you have only 45 minutes to do so, you can try "too hard" and it can all go badly wrong. Think he thinks his boss has got it in for him too. With all that against him he performed superbly. I love the confidence of the guy.

I can only think that the boss hasn't been playing him so as not to alert other clubs. Didn't put a foot wrong for me. It just feels like something is going to happen whenever he gets the ball. Stuff his defensive performance - we don't criticise Purrington and McHugh for their attacking play. This is a Sheridan red herring. Proper winger. He did more in that 45 than Banton has done all season, although I don't blame Banton for that.

The irony for me is that but for Reid's injury we probably wouldn't probably have seen him and the goal he scored (after Sheridan froze him out for so long) probably saved Sheridan's skin today because whilst we were at 1-0 it looked like Hartlepool might sneak an equaliser. Funny old game.

"Are you watching Sheridan" came the chant from the Demport. Classic. An adult would have laughed that off but good old petulant Sheridan had to react to it He really can't help himself. He really is a plonker.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Thomas did well today although I can't see him starting too many games. His positional sense is poor, today Sheridan and the coaching staff often told him where he needs to be on the pitch.

With the ball at his feet he's exciting, without the ball he's a liability.
That said his goal today got us over the line just when we were looking nervous and likely to concede an equaliser.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
You've only just got to luck at the players who play on the wings over Thomas and see that Thomas is heads and shoulders above both Alessandra and Banton on the wing (I do like Alessandra and Banton centrally though so don't get me wrong) he also put in a threatening corner that didn't just go straight to the first man.

Deserves a start next week but he will probably be left on the bench.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
memory man":sgyn699x said:
Paven":sgyn699x said:
Frank_Butcher":sgyn699x said:
One dimensional impact sub.

Pretty much. For every good cross, there's a very poor one. For every decent pass, there's on that doesn't make it's target.

He was alright, but not the Christiano Ronaldo some seem to be making him out to be.

Decent impact sub, but should be that at most IMO.
"For every good cross there's a very poor one". Par for the course for most League 2 wingers?

I'm not sure it's even true!

He created space in the first place and the crosses were varied, some high to central box, others, low with pace to the near post. And he took his goal well, very well.

Jun 8, 2014
tonycholwell":1inx1kpl said:
memory man":1inx1kpl said:
Paven":1inx1kpl said:
Frank_Butcher":1inx1kpl said:
One dimensional impact sub.

Pretty much. For every good cross, there's a very poor one. For every decent pass, there's on that doesn't make it's target.

He was alright, but not the Christiano Ronaldo some seem to be making him out to be.

Decent impact sub, but should be that at most IMO.
"For every good cross there's a very poor one". Par for the course for most League 2 wingers?

I'm not sure it's even true!

He created space in the first place and the crosses were varied, some high to central box, others, low with pace to the near post. And he took his goal well, very well.

Don't get me wrong, I've always been a fan of his and think he should have had more of a chance lately. Glad he took it, would start him next game.

However, I'm not convinced he'll do it regularly. I mean, a good half against a poor Hartlepool side who were always going to be more vulnerable when they knew they had to go and try and get something out of the game. Well taken goal, and very pleased for him.. Needs to prove he can do it on a regular basis now! If he can, then we've got a great player with us.. We'll see what happens..

Aug 15, 2008
Thing is if he exposes us defensively then he is a liability. Even Eden Hazard at Chelski gets rollockings for not covering his full back.

It is a conundrum. Do you go for it and expose your flank? or play it tight and bring him on with 30mins to go to ransack tiring defenders?

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Verte":3gh0yc3m said:
Thing is if he exposes us defensively then he is a liability. Even Eden Hazard at Chelski gets rollockings for not covering his full back.

It is a conundrum. Do you go for it and expose your flank? or play it tight and bring him on with 30mins to go to ransack tiring defenders?
Start him for 3 reasons:
-Our only wide man who can actually deliver a good cross.
-Our only player who can deliver a good corner
-Offers a goal threat.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Nathan Thomas may not the 'The Messiah'. He may not be 'Ronaldo'. He may not be fully ready to start each game especially away games.

But what he is is the most enjoyable player to watch in this squad and an obviously very talented young man who just needs to finetune the abilities that he's got in his locker. He's also (in spite of his attitude that may annoy a few people) a very likeable player who obviously loves to be loved.

He offers something that no other players have in this squad. That ability to get at people, get in their faces, get past them, try audacious shots (that chip!!!) and just offer that general directness. Good corners, good goal threat, good dribbling. He's imperfect but he has raw talent.

I'd consider starting the guy in home games but I still don't think his positional sense is good enough for him to be an away match player. He did himself no end of good though.

J

jsimmons

Really pleased to see Nathan take his chance to impress today. If he'd been on the pitch for 90 minutes and played like that, he would have been Man of the Match by a mile.

He was a threat every time he went forward on the ball. He took his goal like an experienced striker and would have added another with his sublime chip if the keeper hadn't tipped it over the bar.

For me, Nathan has the pace and skill to unsettle most opponents at this level. He also delivers better crosses than anyone else in the squad and strikes the ball really well when he gets the chance.

I agree that, like any player, he needs to show good form consistently, but he can't show it sitting on the bench, can he?

With Banton now out for a month, I hope that this is Nathan's chance.