the thomas debate | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

the thomas debate

Oct 24, 2010
Dan Ellard":2fmax40i said:
PL2 3DQ":2fmax40i said:
Dan Ellard":2fmax40i said:
PL2 3DQ":2fmax40i said:
His positional sense is poor

.... which does not matter in the slightest when we're playing 4-1-2-3/4-2-1-3 and pushing the wide men right on. It's called roaming, moving off the ball, making yourself difficult to mark. Would you prefer if he stood still off the ball like most of our other attackers?!

The reason why we were so poor on Tuesday (and in many other games) is we don't unlock teams - we don't get in behind them or down the wings getting crosses in. Everything's played in front of them.

Yes the end product isn't always there from Thomas - of course it isn't, he's a young lad and this is League 2! But blimey, how many times did he get beyond his man and get us up the pitch? He is so so direct and the value of beating a man for pace and gaining us 20/30 yards of territory is massively understated.

It's best if you quote the whole of my post where I also praise Thomas rather than pick out a few words.

What would be the point in that? That was the main point of your post that I disagreed with, as my response was nothing to do with the rest of your post I didn't see the point in quoting all of it. Certainly wasn't trying to make you out as being negative.

I don't think Thomas' lack of positional sense is a problem in the system we play. If it makes you feel better I agree that he's exciting with the ball at his feet.
I agree with that, in the system we play his defensive responsibilities are nowhere near as demanding as in a 442 system. I thought yesterday he did track back when required, and he did frequently move inside. In previous games he has been a bit one dimensional (a touchline hugging winger) but if yesterday is anything to go by it would appear that he and the coaching staff have been working on his game and the system we play suits him. He is a tremendous talent, very positive, quick and skillful with a great left foot. He is one of those rare players who have an end product; so often he will get in a shot or a cross. I do get the feeling though that he is a player who can drift out of games if things aren't going well for him, which is something for Mr Harbin to work on (perhaps he is already)

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Dan Ellard":1o8uc14g said:
The reason why we were so poor on Tuesday (and in many other games) is we don't unlock teams - we don't get in behind them or down the wings getting crosses in. Everything's played in front of them.

Yes the end product isn't always there from Thomas - of course it isn't, he's a young lad and this is League 2! But blimey, how many times did he get beyond his man and get us up the pitch? He is so so direct and the value of beating a man for pace and gaining us 20/30 yards of territory is massively understated.
Exactly.

Thomas may be overrated by some but also in my view he is underrated by others. That what you say there is something which which he can do but not many others in our squad can at all. I still think for away games you want someone with a bit more nous about them but for home games I do think he was a big reason why we won.

C

Cobi Budge.

I am honestly stunned that some aren't convinced. Thomas is far from the finished article, but he's our most exciting player.

Nathan Thomas has played 55 minutes this season, Jason Banton has played 682 minutes, Thomas has achieved more than Banton significantly and he's also looked 10x as hungry.

Granted Banton might be better inside, but if it's a choice for LW, my options are 1. Morgan 2. Thomas 3. Banton

Aug 15, 2008
Banton is our most skillful player - I haven't seen enough of Thomas to make a judgement. He was good yesterday though. Play Banton in a Free Role and he will run amok. Out on the left is a waste and a travesty.

C

Cobi Budge.

There was once a time when I got excited about Banton running at a player (regardless of position), now I'm just convinced he's going to be tackled every time.

When Thomas runs at a player, I'm much more convinced he'll beat them.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Molton green 1989":3g9cccwb said:
So who does Thomas replace.... Does no one have an opinionon tthat..
I would drop one of the midfielders for Thomas and go 4-2-3-1 with Thomas and Lewi on the flanks and Banton behind Reid.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Molton green 1989":kp7hkxoc said:
So who does Thomas replace.... Does no one have an opinionon tthat...
We need to see who's fit first. Reid's hip may yet rule him out for a while. If so, there must be a case for Alessandra and Thomas on the flanks cutting inside to either Morgan or perhaps Smalley (as we saw with Morgan in the second half yesterday).

Sep 15, 2012
Molton green 1989":3rx8o8i2 said:
What I'm saying though.. Is that if he starts then Reid or Alessandra drops... Does anyone actually want that..

As far as Alessandra is concerned He`s not as good as people make out and if he`s dropped then it would be no big loss in fact get rid of him and put Banton on the right.

J

just_ste

Lewi is in the team because of his excellent work rate,no doubt about that,I think he is much better in a central role though but he sure does miss some sitters,I think Banton would do well on the right

M

MikeN

Old Gunner":2cq9hv5s said:
NJS37":2cq9hv5s said:
I think Thomas put in more decent crosses in 45 minutes than Banton has from what I've seen this season...
A proper left winger especially as he is actually left footed and doesn't always like to come inside but get to the byline like a winger should.

Banton actually has a very sweet right foot. Putting him on the left seems counter intuitive--he has the skill and pace to beat defenders and then ping in a cross. Playing on the left can only result in 1) cutting inside onto his stronger side 2) an inswinging cross with his right foot rather than an outswinger (which is the type forwards like). He should be played centrally or on the right.

If we could get him fit and feeling good about himself, Thomas on the left and Banton on the right would terrify League Two fullbacks (including our own, I might add - they wouldn't be getting much cover from their wingers!) It's probably far too cavalier for this day and age of percentage football and shape, but it could be fun to watch.

Jun 26, 2006
My opinion FWIW

If you watch Nathan Thomas before a game and at half time he is practicing the sort of things he did on Saturday - one on ones - shaping the body to put the ball into the corner - and from range trying to pick out top corners . And long after everyone else has left the field . One of the reasons why he could do it Saturday with compossure .
He has the ability to excite the crowd - Saturday first half - we took the lead but the atmosphere was more akin to a pre season friendly than a competitiive league match . I have no idea why - strange . Forced by injury to Reid to make the change - Thomas does things that creates / uplifts the atmosphere ( not saying that he is going to do it every game but he might ! ) . Suddenly we are on the front foot attacking the full back and getting balls across into the danger area . If our other players get used to the idea they can take a chance , gamble , and go to the near post and far post .
By attacking with the ball and beating players it actually takes pressure off the defence as for a change the opposition will actually be more worried about us . Too often they only have to defend the long high hopeful ball to Reid which even at this level is too easy .
Why keep him for an impact sub - I don't understand the logic - use him for impact from the start . I would rather go for it from the start than have to bring him on to try and rescue a game .
And here's the thing - the atmosphere in the ground will be totally different

Sep 10, 2010
Eastbourne
Could he not play the lone striker role?

If Morgan plays best on the left and Lewi offers better workrate on the right, then if there were a position where tracking back isn't as big an issue - surely it would be upfront.

I imagine given the result Accy got on Saturday they will look to get on the front foot and attack and that we will look to contain and hit on the break. Therfore can't see the harm in having Thomas on the shoulder of the last defender from around halfway line and run onto any through balls / ball over the top. Will stretch the defence and it seems he has the finishing skills to boot.

May 22, 2006
''If Morgan plays best on the left and Lewi offers better workrate on the right, then if there were a position where tracking back isn't as big an issue - surely it would be upfront. ''

Not sure why anyone would think Morgan is best on the left (wing). It's like Heskey playing on the wing. No genuine pace or finesse to beat players. Strength gets him by.

He played there first half on Saturday because Reid is better at holding the ball up. He then has the ability to lay off to another player, like he did for the first goal.

Second half Morgan was the target for endless long balls. He actually won the majority but flicks it on to non existant support players. It happened time and time again. Allessandra should get closer to him for the flicks (and try to improve his first touch so not to trip over the ball). Thomas was good on the wing and had the beating of the full back. A couple of poor crosses and some daisy cutters but it was giving Hartlepool problems. Goals will come

If Reid is out for a while, I wouldn't be too worried about giving Morgan, Allessandra and Thomas another chance.