the thomas debate | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

the thomas debate

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
It is great to read a professional footballer talking some real sense instead of regurgitating clichés... Marvin Morgans' comments on the OS about Nathan Thomas are so refreshing - basically if he worked harder he'd be a fixture in the team... http://www.pafc.co.uk/news/article/rock ... 33867.aspx

BTW, Morgan was superb on the LW on Saturday - he isn't going to scream down to the byeline and get a cross in but take down the diagonal and cut inside using his strength... I liked that a lot... gives us options.

Mar 29, 2011
Cobi Budge.":2rtzutk3 said:
I am honestly stunned that some aren't convinced. Thomas is far from the finished article, but he's our most exciting player.

Nathan Thomas has played 55 minutes this season, Jason Banton has played 682 minutes, Thomas has achieved more than Banton significantly and he's also looked 10x as hungry.

Granted Banton might be better inside, but if it's a choice for LW, my options are 1. Morgan 2. Thomas 3. Banton

Don't use figures if they are plain lies! Thomas has had 10% of Banton's gametime so the point is still valid however he has played more than 55 minutes! If you can't add up 5 numbers in your head then you're struggling.

On another note why is everyone now dropping Morgan? He's only started 3 times this year and done well each time. Bagged a goal at the weekend yet Thomas has jumped above him in the pecking order. Based on what everybody is saying the Morgan deserves his chance if Reid isn't fit!

C

Cobi Budge.

Looks like I missed out a game, apologies.

I agree on Morgan though, he's a very good player to have when on the left.

C

Cobi Budge.

I'm unsure about that one, I don't think Marvin is a CF to be honest, he's better out wide, but then again, so is Smalley. Marvin would probably have to lead the line out of desperation.

I would probably go with what we had for most of the second period on Saturday, with Smalley as an option to come on for Morgan or Lewi.

Alessandra, Morgan, Thomas

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
I've not seen much to suggest Smalley is better out wide. He was pretty dire there for me when he came on against Luton there, when he came on against Stevenage there(in spite of his penalty, his general play was awful) and when he started against Wycombe there.

His 20 minutes just before half-time however when he was moved up front against Wycombe he looked pretty lively and won some good flick ons. That's probably the best I've seen of him in an Argyle shirt so far. His Chesterfield form suggests he's a good wide player but I certainly haven't seen it for Argyle yet.

C

Cobi Budge.

I personally quite like Smalley on the right Sam. I'm not sure if you were at Cambridge but he was on the right for 90 mins and he was a bright point on a bad day, also did well when on at Morecambe.

I rate Smalley a lot higher than others do but I don't think I'd start him.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
I was at Cambridge. Smalley wasnt very good. Looked lost. His positioning was terrible and he was pretty anonymous throughout. He'll probably come alright as a squad player, but I'm not sure if he's 100% fit yet.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
I wasn't at Cambridge. The above two posts encapsulate the mixed reviews I've heard about him there. I certainly haven't seen him play well in his other games at RM, though.

Jun 8, 2014
GreenSam":aevm490t said:
I wasn't at Cambridge. The above two posts encapsulate the mixed reviews I've heard about him there. I certainly haven't seen him play well in his other games at RM, though.

I haven't seen him play well, full stop!

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
Steve.PAFC2012":2xcjlefa said:
I'm not gonna write him off just yet but it's hard to get excited by Smalley after his performance last tuesday.
It was hard to get excited by anyones performance last Tuesday let alone Smalley's. :mad:

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Paven":1000nug7 said:
GreenSam":1000nug7 said:

I haven't seen him play well, full stop!
I thought he was bright in the 20-25 minutes in which he was moved inside on Tuesday but I accept I'm in a minority there.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
spowell92":838mh29u said:
I was at Cambridge. Smalley wasnt very good. Looked lost. His positioning was terrible and he was pretty anonymous throughout. He'll probably come alright as a squad player, but I'm not sure if he's 100% fit yet.

This, he had no clue where he needed to be as a winger. Several times he had space ahead of him to run into and he stood still, Lewi looked out wide expecting him to be bombing forward and he simply wasn't there. In the end it cost us a goal, JS may have blamed Lewi in the media but for me the only reason he was caught on the ball was because he looked for a pass out to Smalley and there was nobody there, by the time he'd looked around for another pass the ball was taken off him and they were on their way down the field.

It was one game yes but to say he looked good on the wing that day is complete rubbish IMO, Morgan on the other hand has done alright there. I liked the look of him out-wide against Swansea in preseason and he linked up well with Reuben on Saturday from the wing. Play him out-wide with Reubs through the middle I'd say :scarf: