the thomas debate | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

the thomas debate

Nov 4, 2012
Deacster":39324uzq said:
PAFC94":39324uzq said:
Deacster":39324uzq said:
A rare spark of excitement on a dour day.

We did win...
I know but the general performance wasn't great and after Weds defeat the atmosphere was poor. A win is a win but felt a fairly hollow victory.

I was rather underwhelmed with the performance but any win is a good win and a dour day is a tad harsh.

Mar 23, 2008
PAFC94":2i4gjgee said:
Deacster":2i4gjgee said:
PAFC94":2i4gjgee said:
Deacster":2i4gjgee said:
A rare spark of excitement on a dour day.

We did win...
I know but the general performance wasn't great and after Weds defeat the atmosphere was poor. A win is a win but felt a fairly hollow victory.

I was rather underwhelmed with the performance but any win is a good win and a dour day is a tad harsh.
In your opinion. Clearly not in mine else I wouldn't have written it. A very flat win.

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Molton green 1989":3khg6qah said:
Everyone is singing Thomas's praises... But who would be dropped to put him in the team... For me the first half team is a good solid one.
If it wasn't for Luke, "the first half team" would have gone in at 1-1 against a pretty poor team coming straight off the back of a 5-1 drubbing just a few days earlier and with their top scorer missing through injury.

After Morgan's goal, Hartlepool were the better side for the remainder of the first half.

However, Thomas's performance in the second half was probably the best from anyone playing in a wide position for Argyle this season. I think Bray might have provided something similar but sadly, we will never know.

C

CKGreens

Paven":184olo3h said:
Frank_Butcher":184olo3h said:
One dimensional impact sub.

Pretty much. For every good cross, there's a very poor one. For every decent pass, there's on that doesn't make it's target.

He was alright, but not the Christiano Ronaldo some seem to be making him out to be.

Decent impact sub, but should be that at most IMO.
:furious:
FFS he came on and changed the game completely, with Reid off injured and Morgan tiring we didn't look like scoring and showed little threat going forward, Hartlepool however did! Give the bloke a chance! "Ronaldo" this is league two. For me he should start, as to Banton waste of space.

Mar 23, 2008
philevs":2bjo9zge said:
He can't be anything more than an impact sub unless he gets a start, can he?!
Behave with that common sense, that won't suit those trying to talk him down.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":2i8btvi4 said:
His positional sense is poor

.... which does not matter in the slightest when we're playing 4-1-2-3/4-2-1-3 and pushing the wide men right on. It's called roaming, moving off the ball, making yourself difficult to mark. Would you prefer if he stood still off the ball like most of our other attackers?!

The reason why we were so poor on Tuesday (and in many other games) is we don't unlock teams - we don't get in behind them or down the wings getting crosses in. Everything's played in front of them.

Yes the end product isn't always there from Thomas - of course it isn't, he's a young lad and this is League 2! But blimey, how many times did he get beyond his man and get us up the pitch? He is so so direct and the value of beating a man for pace and gaining us 20/30 yards of territory is massively understated.

Mar 18, 2006
Can understand concerns about his defensive qualities , he will learn that in time. ( isn't that what we pay coaches for ?) in away games I can understand wanting a player who tracks back and the need to keep things tight.

But in home games you need to be on the front foot and take the game to the opposition, that is exactly what Thomas does. He runs at people , is direct, can cross and carries a goal treat . He is the type of player fans like to see.

So yes, maybe use him as an Impact player away from home ( there again why not try attacking and winning away ?), but at Home , play him .

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Dan Ellard":jczbu5p0 said:
PL2 3DQ":jczbu5p0 said:

.... which does not matter in the slightest when we're playing 4-1-2-3/4-2-1-3 and pushing the wide men right on. It's called roaming, moving off the ball, making yourself difficult to mark. Would you prefer if he stood still off the ball like most of our other attackers?!

The reason why we were so poor on Tuesday (and in many other games) is we don't unlock teams - we don't get in behind them or down the wings getting crosses in. Everything's played in front of them.

Yes the end product isn't always there from Thomas - of course it isn't, he's a young lad and this is League 2! But blimey, how many times did he get beyond his man and get us up the pitch? He is so so direct and the value of beating a man for pace and gaining us 20/30 yards of territory is massively understated.

It's best if you quote the whole of my post where I also praise Thomas rather than pick out a few words.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
PL2 3DQ":2onzle5k said:
Dan Ellard":2onzle5k said:
PL2 3DQ":2onzle5k said:

It's best if you quote the whole of my post where I also praise Thomas rather than pick out a few words.

What would be the point in that? That was the main point of your post that I disagreed with, as my response was nothing to do with the rest of your post I didn't see the point in quoting all of it. Certainly wasn't trying to make you out as being negative.

I don't think Thomas' lack of positional sense is a problem in the system we play. If it makes you feel better I agree that he's exciting with the ball at his feet.

1985nhangingon

He is just my type of player,gets the ball and attacks like all wide players should and he excites which I feel is lacking in modern football,love him or hate him but I reckon hes a Championship player at least in the making.This is based on the few times ive seen him and its just my opinion

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
It will only take a month of playing Thomas, coupled with a couple of bad results and the PASOTI contributors will be reminding us of how good Banton is.

Argyle players have so much more ability when they don't play.

I always remember Nathan Lowndes getting lambasted week in week out. He got injured for a couple of months and he was to be our saviour when he came back into the team - because he was brilliant !

1985nhangingon

Banton is a good player when played in the correct position,must frustrate him to play out on the left

Jul 13, 2009
LISKEARD
I think with Banton out this is his chance, would like him to play up front with Reid, as Lavery was when he was here. This guy has got pace to burn as we saw with his goal yesterday and as the beeb pointed out on the FLS that was his first goal and showed great composure.

So my starting lineup for the next game would be

Gk- Luke
Rwb- Kelvin
Lwb- Ben
CBs- Hartley, Nelson and McHugh
Cm- Cox & Blizzard
LF- Thomas
CF- Reid
RF- Lewi

If Reid isn't fit then I'd have Marvin in his place and O'Connor in for Hartley. On paper that looks a decent side

But hey what do I know.....