the thomas debate | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

the thomas debate

Jun 11, 2012
Cobi Budge.":v3lfnw30 said:
I'm unsure about that one, I don't think Marvin is a CF to be honest, he's better out wide, but then again, so is Smalley.
I don't think you've seen anywhere near enough of him to be making that judgment.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Ollieargyle9":1qdgm9fs said:
spowell92":1qdgm9fs said:
I was at Cambridge. Smalley wasnt very good. Looked lost. His positioning was terrible and he was pretty anonymous throughout. He'll probably come alright as a squad player, but I'm not sure if he's 100% fit yet.

This, he had no clue where he needed to be as a winger. Several times he had space ahead of him to run into and he stood still, Lewi looked out wide expecting him to be bombing forward and he simply wasn't there. In the end it cost us a goal, JS may have blamed Lewi in the media but for me the only reason he was caught on the ball was because he looked for a pass out to Smalley and there was nobody there, by the time he'd looked around for another pass the ball was taken off him and they were on their way down the field.

It was one game yes but to say he looked good on the wing that day is complete rubbish IMO, Morgan on the other hand has done alright there. I liked the look of him out-wide against Swansea in preseason and he linked up well with Reuben on Saturday from the wing. Play him out-wide with Reubs through the middle I'd say :scarf:

Absolutely Ollie. Mellor also kept looking up the line expecting to play it forward to the man infront of him, but Smalley had toddled off to the middle. He offered little to nothing throughout the game and just didn't look match fit at all.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
So if Reuben's fit for Saturday, then it'll probably be Alessandra-Reid-Morgan at Accrington.

If he's not, then Alessandra-Morgan-Thomas? Or Alessandra-Smalley-Morgan?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Which one it'll be Sam, I have no idea. Such is the unpredictability of Mr Sheridan. I know which one I would pick however.

P

pafcstafford

Think Smalley is interested, and interesting article in the herald where Morgan talks about Thomas

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
I'm by no means a physical football, 4-4-2, big men up top merchant but I do think you need a bit more muscle up front than what Harvey offers if you're going for one central striker. It would just about be possible if we played full on fluid football mostly on the ground but we don't quite do that. We play a more attractive style than most other teams in this league but it still does involve a few high in the air outballs as well as ariel crosses coming in. I don't think Harvey as the central striker of a 4-3-3 is a good idea. In the hole, certainly. A second striker in a 4-4-2, why not. But not on his own up front for me.

C

Cobi Budge.

Agreed, Harvey is nowhere near strong enough to do Reid's job and lead the line. Maybe he'd be better in a 442 but I still think as a team, we play best when we are playing a 4331 or a 433.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Harvey needs to go out on loan. He doesn't really fit into any of the formations that Sheridan plays and is not an impact sub. He needs games and he needs building body strength otherwise he's going to be the next Luke Young.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Just seen the back page today, Sheridan says he wants Thomas not to forget his defensive duties, I think that's a good point which I agree with, I think the wingers should both focus more defensively...

Jul 6, 2011
steveinspain":3hjl0wq6 said:
It says he must not neglect his defensive duties.

Back in the day wingers were more focused on attack, they were there to set up the strikers and defenders were mostly there to defend. Certain players would get a nose bleed if they ventured any further than the halfway line :lol:

Aug 17, 2006
I'd prefer Morgan left out of the team. After watching him last Saturday offer nothing apart from his double act with the Stanley defenders which offered good entertainment.