Twente Game Off! | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Twente Game Off!

Feb 2, 2007
We've go at enough in the squad for two teams, once managed by Derek and one by Brewster and Wottsy to take on each other. It'll be cheaper at the training ground!

Big shame this, surely someone in 100 mile vicinity will give Argyle a game when based over there.

May 8, 2011
As the FC Twente game was at the training ground and was free admission it would appear to be quite a low key match so the decision by the Mayor does seem strange.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
khennes_904":3qphn08r said:
Just a thought , why dont we try to organise a couple of games against Prem U23 sides . Stand us in good stead for the future .

Isn't that called the Checkatrade though? ;)

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
The Netherlands... it's all gone a bit flat

Seriously though, I feel for those of you that have spent your hard earned dosh on this trip, I hope you all get suitably refunded.
Another big concern of course is the lack of game time, especially for those players returning from injury. This could set us back many weeks in terms of the new season and I really hope the club can arrange an appropriate alternative, though I doubt it at this late hour.
This must be a test of DA's non-swearing attribute!

PutneyPete

♣️ PASALB Member
Jun 23, 2005
London (Putney)
What about playing (like last year) Dutch second-tier side MVV Maastricht in a pre-season friendly - this time at Argyle's Delden training camp?

And / or

Considering FC Twente Training ground where the match was to be played was in the neighbouring town of Hengelo, a few kilometres down the road (Kuipersdijk 40 7552 BJ Hengelo), surely the mayor of Delden would allow a pre-season friendly - at Argyle's Delden training camp - even behind closed doors?

There must be some rivalry between Delden and Hengelo?

Dazzy3000

✅ Evergreen
Dec 3, 2008
Anyone know if the club are looking into anything else or is this written off now?

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Why is it so hard to believe that The Dutch just don't want us there. Not just us but others that have had pre-season games due. At the moment Holland and Belgium are making a little more money out of the women's European championships whereas next year they'll be begging for a few more sheckles to add to the commercial coffers.

Jan 27, 2012
Surely the solution is to play these games behind closed doors ? Then its a strictly private matter between the football clubs and is beyond the mayor's jurisdiction.

Apr 30, 2011
gaspargomez":2vq31kzr said:
Surely the solution is to play these games behind closed doors ? Then its a strictly private matter between the football clubs and is beyond the mayor's jurisdiction.

Good shout.

B

Blue_in_Devon

Pompey have also had a couple of pre-season games against foreign teams called off - at Cardiff and at Eastleigh.

Feb 8, 2005
Penmaster":5uiacfjn said:
gaspargomez":5uiacfjn said:

Good shout.

Agreed, but there must have been a financial commitment from the ground owners in order to facilitate the game to go on, which would have been offset by the admission fees of those attending.

There would still be a cost to play behind closed doors, and there would not be any supporters allowed to enter the ground in order to pay the bill.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Bristol City have a home friendly game against FC Twente on Friday 28 July, the day we were meant to play Young FC Twente in Holland.
I wonder if it's possible, as a gesture of goodwill, for FC Twente to play Argyle at Home Park on Sunday afternoon 30 July?

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
Good call Postey - I guess it will be down to how flexible pre-arranged travel details are.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Argyle travel back from Holland on 29 July and FC Twente play a friendly game on Wednesday 2 August so it depends on their travel plans after the Bristol City game.