(When are the) Next batch of shirts in the club shop | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

(When are the) Next batch of shirts in the club shop

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
The club are not experienced clothing retailers and totally misjudged the likely popularity of this season's away shirt. Applying mode averages is tricky maths at the best of times and is even harder if you have just one relatively small outlet. Once Argyle got that initial order wrong they were never going to recover.

Puma are not going to keep a stock of Argyle shirts for the club to just order when they need fresh supplies. They are not in business to stockpile items that are not going to be ordered by any other retailer. They will be manufactured to order, which sounds easy but I would imagine that the setting up of a production run for a relatively small order for a unique design is a logistic nightmare for Puma. It would be easier if it were one of their template designs but for a unique design, it must be a right pain.

Jan 31, 2010
Worcester
How long are we tied in with Puma?

Would love to know whether a local manufacturer could take on the contract, manage the supply chain and do a much better job at producing a quality product than what's currently on offer.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Taxman Dave":1m9ap86c said:
How long are we tied in with Puma?

Would love to know whether a local manufacturer could take on the contract, manage the supply chain and do a much better job at producing a quality product than what's currently on offer.

The terms of the Puma deal might be really good for the club. The important aspect will not be how easily and quickly the club can restock the shop but the deal that the club gets on the items that they use themselves. The hundreds of kit/training items etc is a massive cost to the club each year and will be high on the list when it comes to negotiating the deal. I'm not saying a smaller supplier couldn't match Puma but we don't know what they offer the club in this area.

Jul 13, 2006
Dorset Pilgrim":1bxflmkn said:
I think the Club needs to take a hard look at how they run their retail operation. Replica shirts should be in stock in the summer for the following season - that's something that Clubs both larger and smaller than Argyle manage to achieve. The Club must be losing out on a lot of potential sales. Its no good just blaming the suppliers, you need to have agreed delivery times set several months in advance.

It doesn't just apply to shirts either I went in the shop looking for a rain jacket a few games ago, nothing between small and extra large and on coats generally there was nothing smaller than a large size. On the other hand sale rails were chock full of t-shirts, etc.

I know its easy to moan, but equally its not really good enough.

This in spades.

Oct 26, 2016
foreigner":28muhoeu said:
Dorset Pilgrim":28muhoeu said:
I think the Club needs to take a hard look at how they run their retail operation. Replica shirts should be in stock in the summer for the following season - that's something that Clubs both larger and smaller than Argyle manage to achieve. The Club must be losing out on a lot of potential sales. Its no good just blaming the suppliers, you need to have agreed delivery times set several months in advance.

It doesn't just apply to shirts either I went in the shop looking for a rain jacket a few games ago, nothing between small and extra large and on coats generally there was nothing smaller than a large size. On the other hand sale rails were chock full of t-shirts, etc.

This in spades.

Not just the shop. How often do you see a long queue at HP box office with 2 windows open and 3 or 4 burds in the shop with nobody to serve?

Same with the bars. No consistency as to when they open - yes there are rules but under the Lindy last week block 15 bar would not serve whilst the next one down had been serving for 5 minutes.

Similarly at the play off final it was impossible to get served in the grandstand before the match with huge queues and only a couple of staff. Argyles loss, yet they moan about revenue!

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
foreigner":1019r2gf said:
Dorset Pilgrim":1019r2gf said:

This in spades.

Its a very good point. Are we that 'down' in Puma estimations that we are at the bottom of list when it comes to manufacturing and therefore thats why we receive our supplies after other teams?

B

Baby Face Johnson

GreenArmy1984":167u2gyf said:
Never understand why people want to buy Replicia Shirts nearly Half way through the season

The best way is pre order at the start of the Season

Because you may want to see the shirt first before you buy it, complete with sponsor's logo, rather than rely on a Microsoft Paint graphic designed by a five year old?

Jul 29, 2010
Adam Dyer":23uka9pv said:
foreigner":23uka9pv said:
Dorset Pilgrim":23uka9pv said:

This in spades.

Its a very good point. Are we that 'down' in Puma estimations that we are at the bottom of list when it comes to manufacturing and therefore thats why we receive our supplies after other teams?
Yes. Our sales numbers are tiny in comparison to the international, worldwide top flight, EPL and championship teams on their books. We must take our place in the queue.

I understand why they do that, it's business. We can take our business elsewhere however, to a level where WE'RE at the front of the queue, where WE'RE the one's that cause our suppliers to bend over backwards to accommodate us.

We wouldn't get these problems then.

Jul 29, 2010
Baby Face Johnson":uc0pmio3 said:
GreenArmy1984":uc0pmio3 said:
Never understand why people want to buy Replicia Shirts nearly Half way through the season

Because you may want to see the shirt first before you buy it, complete with sponsor's logo, rather than rely on a Microsoft Paint graphic designed by a five year old?
And that is entirely people's choice to do so. BY doing so however, when all the warning signs were there, they shouldn't then grumble about a lack of availability when it sells out. Waiting for re-orders always takes this long, for the aforementioned 'back of the queue' reason.

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
X Isle":11d08qq1 said:
Baby Face Johnson":11d08qq1 said:
GreenArmy1984":11d08qq1 said:

And that is entirely people's choice to do so. BY doing so however, when all the warning signs were there, they shouldn't then grumble about a lack of availability when it sells out. Waiting for re-orders always takes this long, for the aforementioned 'back of the queue' reason.

In fairness I managed to do both, I saw the away shirt at St. Blazey and immediately pre-ordered afterwards/

May 16, 2016
I didn't pre order one on either occasion so don't get one, but on the other hand, I am about £40 better off ;)