(When are the) Next batch of shirts in the club shop | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

(When are the) Next batch of shirts in the club shop

A

Anonymous

i was told they'd be arriving in time for Christmas. Didn't want to tell the poor lass on the phone that Christmas wasn't in October or November. Was pretty obvious I wasn't the first person to ask that day

J

James_Dennis

For your information, and to potentially save the Club Shop dealing with a few emails, here is the answer from the horse's mouth regarding expected arrival date: -

Hi there,

At present the last date we have been given is the 22nd November.
We are still hopeful that the order will arrive prior to this date, but as soon as the delivery arrives and has been checked and verified, all customers will be notified and parcels sent out as soon as possible.

Kind regards

Argyle Direct

Jul 29, 2010
From the horse's mouth indeed. Argyle, THE CUSTOMER, is being kept in the dark about exactly when they'll get the product they're paying for and are left 'hoping'.

If this was EBay, Puma would be getting negative feedback and wouldn't be used again.

J

James_Dennis

Like all of us on here, I don't know what benefits Argyle might be getting out of Puma - it may be an offer they can't refuse. But from the outside looking in, you're certainly left wondering if they couldn't do better.

Anyway, don't want to get at the peeps at the club shop over the issue at hand as I guess they're waiting like the rest of us.

Jul 29, 2010
Indeed James, I just wish everyone waiting apportioned the blame in the right place. The only thing Argyle are to blame for is signing that bleedin' contract again in 2013.

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
X Isle":2cbymh0u said:
Indeed James, I just wish everyone waiting apportioned the blame in the right place. The only thing Argyle are to blame for is signing that bleedin' contract again in 2013.

But then in 2013 things were not quite as rosy as they are now and the deal then was probably the best for the club. So is blame really the right word?

Jul 29, 2010
The reason given for re-signing in December 2013 was that the deadline for choosing a new strip for 2014-15 'crept up on us' :facepalm:

It might have been Hobson's choice therefore, but not due to our financial situation, it was due to us taking our eye off the ball and not being organised enough to be ahead of the curve :roll:

Ian was on the ball, he'd found a UK supplier who'd gone as far as mocking up home and away 'flag kits'. There were choices therefore, Argyle just appeared to go for the lazy, easy, soft option of handing everything over to Puma. Their margins are higher, they must be, so from a financial perspective you'd surely make less money from a deal with a global brand. We can't blame our financial situation in 2013.

As far as I recall it was a three year deal, so next month (if the excuse given at the time was true) it should be up for renewal again. I would hope not to hear that excuse again, they've had three years for next season's deadline to 'creep up on them'.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
You make it sound that the kit deal is all about the retailing of replica kits when that is just a byproduct unless you are a Barcelona or Man United. The kit deal is primarily to supply the club with the essential clothing it needs to operate and not how quickly club shop shelves can be replenished.

Jul 29, 2010
Lundan Cabbie":38q5w3pa said:
You make it sound that the kit deal is all about the retailing of replica kits when that is just a byproduct unless you are a Barcelona or Man United. The kit deal is primarily to supply the club with the essential clothing it needs to operate and not how quickly club shop shelves can be replenished.
The owner of Plymouth Argyle is also the owner of a successful retail clothing company. I don't believe it is beyond the wit of man for him to source and supply a range of 'leisurewear' and training kit to accompany a 'stand alone' first team kit range' - THE PRIMARY REVENUE MAKER.

I don't subscribe to the 'we get a broad range of products' so it's best all round we stick with one supplier argument. The purpose of a business is to make as much money for itself and provide a product the customer wants and when they want it. Argyle need to do this for the fans, and not take the easy and lazy route of handing over everything to an unmotivated third party. How many potential sales has it lost out on having no availability of shirts for the last two months?, how much more opportunity will be lost during the second half of the season should Argyle stay in the promotion/championship race?

And my views on Puma, on all global sportswear manufacturers, is not JUST to do with an ambiguous and low priority delivery date for their customer's orders, it just beautifully emphasises the point.

To them we are an inconvenient and insignificant entity. In order to make it worth their while we will be subject to a big manufacturing and supply margin and go to the very back of the queue for everything. That manifests itself here with a vague and non committal 'they're in the post' attitude to delivering an order placed months ago. But it also presents itself with initial design inflexibility or imposition, a prohibitive minimum order policy (that could leave Argyle with masses of unsold shirts if they 'over reach' an order) and cheapo impositions like stick on badges.

We are treated with contempt by them, they are not commercially invested in us and it matters not a jot to them if we are left dissatisfied by anything they do to us.

It would matter a great deal to a smaller company, for whom the Argyle order is a BIG deal, if they lost our contract. We'd have virtually a blank canvass for design, proper embroidered badges if we wanted them, we could impose our own penalty clauses for late or vague delivery schedules and we wouldn't have to agree to minimum order restrictions (ordering in the dozens not the multiples of hundreds in each size).

It's so obvious what needs to be done here but I worry, yet again, that Argyle have just been bimbling along with thumb up bum and brain in neutral and not working behind the scenes to get a better all round deal for themselves elsewhere.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Any clothing manufacturer who relied on such a small order to be a massive part of their business would simply go bust. At the end of the day whether it's Puma or a local company, it is still going to just be around a few thousand sales per year. That's just not enough to stamp your feet and expect people to jump.

Jul 29, 2010
I disagree. In every industry there is a sliding scale of size and output, retail clothing is no different. Somewhere between a global megabrand with billion dollar profits and a small independent trader scraping a living will be found a company with the right balance of adaptability and price point for Argyle to cut a better deal for itself.

They just need to have been proactive enough to go looking for it :whistle:

Jul 29, 2010
On a micro level you're right, that's the way to look after yourself. Albeit short, there was an opportunity to see the shirt 'in the flesh' while the initial pre-order period was open.

On the macro level however Argyle are missing out. The bigger picture is Argyle taking advantage of a rich revenue stream, something they can't do with this set up. We don't find ourselves in these lofty league positions often. Folk will want to buy shirts right through to April and May if we stay up there but there won't be any to sell.