You now HAVE to support Argyle to be proud of Plymouth | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

You now HAVE to support Argyle to be proud of Plymouth

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
LG":1tk50ur4 said:
It wasn't an official Argyle article though.
I'm intrinsically linked to Argyle, but the rubbish I spout on here and on facebook etc is not officially from Argyle.

Right - so anyone reading that article in the Herald (print or online) is going to say to themselves: "That's just Chris Webb's opinion as an individual, I'm going to completely disregard the fact that he is the official Club President of Argyle and the fact that he is using this article as some sort of rallying call intended to stir the civic pride / consciousness of Sky subscribing Plastics and motivate them to go to Home Park to watch Argyle" -

He's the Club President, he's known as the Club President, the article is entirely about Argyle and Plymothians supporting Argyle and he's used it to slate Plymouthisns who 'follow' premiership teams, going so far as to suggest they aren't proud of their city (because obviously Argyle is the be all and end all of being from Plymouth). Official Argyle article or not, are you seriously suggesting that this isn't going to potentially alienate people more rather than promote the club?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
You really are a Drama Queen aren't you?

It's Webby, El Pres, having a pop at what annoys him, and he's earning a crust doing it.

Thank the Lord it's not you with a column, there'd be a traffic jam on the Tamar Bridge, caused by people abandoning their cars and jumping over!

As you can see on here, some people agree with him, some don't.

As for 'potentially alienating' people, perhaps he's 'potentially recruiting' others.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
IJN":1l96bpo9 said:
You really are a Drama Queen aren't you?

It's Webby, El Pres, having a pop at what annoys him, and he's earning a crust doing it.

Thank the Lord it's not you with a column, there'd be a traffic jam on the Tamar Bridge, caused by people abandoning their cars and jumping over!

As you can see on here, some people agree with him, some don't.

As for 'potentially alienating' people, perhaps he's 'potentially recruiting' others.

They will never feel pride in their city, in their club and in an institution that they have a real emotional attachment to. I pity them

So lemme get this straight. Say I'm a Plymothian, working for the National Marine Aquarium (I don't btw), Support Plymouth Raiders avidly (I don't by the way) and write a fanzine about local Plymouth bands (I don't do this either, these are examples), but I happen to follow the fortunes of Liverpool Football Club and pop up the pub to watch them when they're on. Would I have the right to be a bit miffed if El Pres told me I don't feel any pride in my city because I don't wave a big green flag around in the Devonport End every other weekend and spend 8 hours on a coach to Chesterfield....would someone like that really be a 'pitiable' and lacking in pride in their city?

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
I'd expect them to read the article and think 'who the f##k does this Chris Webb think he is, having a pop at me like that'
Or perhaps not to even give a poo about the article.

Apr 15, 2008
London
A lot of people don't care about football. They have no interest in it at all and even less interest n Argyle. Then there people who support Argyle as a second team and why not... it's a free country and not everyone has to be some sort of superfan.

As for kids supporting other teams, well, a lot of kids don't have parents who will take them to the game - 30 seconds at 1am on the Football League Show isn't going to be enough to make them life-long fan.

I know Chris has to fill his column, but he doesn't half talk some b*ll*cks

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
I am a Janner, I support Argyle and always have and always will, not for any other reason than it`s my tribe. What others do or feel is not my concern.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Having just read Chris Webb's article I must confess that I didn't find it particularly offensive and I doubt it will alienate many--apart from the 'professionally offended' amongst us. I thought it was a call to arms from somebody who is passionate about Plymouth and its football team. You might guess from my online name that my 'first love' was Arsenal and I still have a visceral affection for that team---if you've ever read Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby, that was my life almost word for word---but I was born within walking distance of Highbury and wouldn't have considered supporting any other team. So I sympathise with Chris's point of view and I do struggle with those who support the 'big' clubs whilst living within a stone's throw of Home Park. The reasons aren't hard to understand--great marketing, household names and probably a desire to be associated with a successful club---and I can to a certain extent excuse youngsters who are more susceptible to this sort of thing than most--but to see an adult in a Man. Utd shirt in Plymouth is unforgiveable (unless they are from Manchester).

I will be at Home Park tonight to support Argyle because these days they are my local team, and over the last 4 years I have developed an eccentric affection for the club and its long suffering supporters---hope to see you there!

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Old Gunner":32l9k6pr said:
Having just read Chris Webb's article I must confess that I didn't find it particularly offensive and I doubt it will alienate many--apart from the 'professionally offended' amongst us. I thought it was a call to arms from somebody who is passionate about Plymouth and its football team. You might guess from my online name that my 'first love' was Arsenal and I still have a visceral affection for that team---if you've ever read Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby, that was my life almost word for word---but I was born within walking distance of Highbury and wouldn't have considered supporting any other team. So I sympathise with Chris's point of view and I do struggle with those who support the 'big' clubs whilst living within a stone's throw of Home Park. The reasons aren't hard to understand--great marketing, household names and probably a desire to be associated with a successful club---and I can to a certain extent excuse youngsters who are more susceptible to this sort of thing than most--but to see an adult in a Man. Utd shirt in Plymouth is unforgiveable (unless they are from Manchester).

I will be at Home Park tonight to support Argyle because these days they are my local team, and over the last 4 years I have developed an eccentric affection for the club and its long suffering supporters---hope to see you there!
Glad to have you on board mate :thumbs:
If you're in the Devonport I'll be the 'large' gentleman enjoying a couple of pre-match ciders :whistle:

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
LG":17jpwjev said:
Old Gunner":17jpwjev said:

Glad to have you on board mate :thumbs:
If you're in the Devonport I'll be the 'large' gentleman enjoying a couple of pre-match ciders :whistle:

I'll be the good looking but bewildered looking chap sitting about half way up block 13 in the Lyndy!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Old Gunner":3ffz1pfk said:

Lovely phrase, I'm going to have to use that more than once if you don't mind mate. :thumbs:

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
That's me and the wife sorted. We are both season ticket holders and have no time for the prima donna's in the premier league. The premier league is ripping the the soul out of English football. With all the foreigners playing in English football our home grown talent wont get a chance to reach the heights in football and England wont (I fear) progress in the international and world cups. :scarf: :scarf:

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
IJN":23lauo2i said:
Old Gunner":23lauo2i said:

Lovely phrase, I'm going to have to use that more than once if you don't mind mate. :thumbs:

My pleasure :)

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Did I not say in the OP that I agreed something had to be done to turn Plymouth green

I just feel that the tone of the article - in aiming directly at Plymothians who follow premier league teams for whatever reason, and actually saying that "They will never feel pride in their city" is pretty disrespectful to any Plymouthian who is proud of Plymouth but happens not to be an Argyle supporter.
The general sentiment of the article I get - the guy wants people from Plymouth to support Argyle - I just feel that statements suggesting you aren't proud of Plymouth if you don't support Argyle are inflammatory and divisive rather than welcoming