You now HAVE to support Argyle to be proud of Plymouth | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

You now HAVE to support Argyle to be proud of Plymouth

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I've just read the usual well written piece from Chris and once again, I accuse you of slanting the view a tad.

He was talking about people who are away at a game, in this case Chesterfield, feeling pride in their city. Just to explain he's meaning on that night, at a faraway football ground.

Why on earth would anybody, let alone someone as intelligent as Chris, suggest that because your 'support' 'Chelski FC', you can't take a pride in our wonderful city? That's would be as ridiculous as your slant on what he is saying.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
IJN":12yk2vgp said:
I've just read the usual well written piece from Chris and once again, I accuse you of slanting the view a tad.

He was talking about people who are away at a game, in this case Chesterfield, feeling pride in their city. Just to explain he's meaning on that night, at a faraway football ground.

NO, he actually says the opposite - he's saying, as ridiculous as it sounds, that people who don't know what its like to be at Chesterfield on a cold Tuesday night will never feel pride in their city

Why on earth would anybody, let alone someone as intelligent as Chris, suggest that because your 'support' 'Chelski FC', you can't take a pride in our wonderful city? That's would be as ridiculous as your slant on what he is saying.

"They will never know what it is like to be at Chesterfield on a cold Tuesday night and secure survival. They will never feel pride in their city, in their club and in an institution that they have a real emotional attachment to. I pity them."

Sorry but that seems pretty unequivocal to me. "They will never feel pride in their city" by virtue of the fact that they haven't made a journey of such lengths. Furthermore they can't possibly have an emotional connection with an institution???!
What about a Dockyard worker who feels proud to work there, proud of being part of a Plymouth 'institution' that happens to not be PAFC?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It's all about the context, if you're in Chesterfield and you've won 2-1 against the form table, and you're singing 'Plymouth, Plymouth' - How on earth would a life long Man Utd fan from Hartley 'get' what that feels like?

Not arguing any more with you, I have a skirt to put on.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
Yep, 'professionally offended' does it for me!

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
LG":2wglbzfq said:
Trev501":2wglbzfq said:
Yep, 'professionally offended' does it for me!
Dear Points of View
Why oh why oh why.....
?? To be clear, I like the phrase; I'm not offended.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
Ah! I'll try to be a bit quicker on the uptake next time LG :)

"They will never know what it is like to be at Chesterfield on a cold Tuesday night and secure survival."

Personally, I'm sick to death of doing that. I'd love to support a Plymouth Argyle that had genuine ambitions of winning at Anfield to secure Champions League football, rather than be happy securing survival again.

So a thought strikes me. Do Argyle fans secretly enjoy not having a very good football club, just so they can enjoy the fleeting sensation of a last minute-equaliser away on a cold Tuesday night that no-one else gives a flying fig about?

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
It is perfectly possible to detach your pride in your identity from your support of a football club. Genuinely, I don't doubt that Malaysian fans of Man Utd feel any less pride in being Malaysian because they don't support Kuala Lumpur FC. So for me that argument doesn't stack up. The issue for me then is more about the quality of the experience. I grew up in a Man Utd supporting family. My uncles were all United from Northen Ireland. Funnily enough there was as much of Northern Irish identity invested in Man Utd as there was in Belfast or Irish sides due to Best, Mclroy and other United players at United in the 60snand 70s. So it's perfectly possible for a club to embrace identies that come from outside city boundaries. But when I grew up as a telly watching armchair Utd fan it was all very nice but I didn't really feel connected to it. When I went to Argyle I felt at home. With Westountry accents round me, pasties (I am Cornish) and the feeling of of being in a crowd, the multi sensory experience of the sights, sounds, smell and feel of football. The journey to a game, meeting people, the looknof amground in the floodlights, going tomnew places. Actual, lived experiences. Sorry, but you just don't get that in a pub. You don't see the sweat, strain and agony of the players close up. The hardness of a tackle, the power of a shot, the reaction of a crowd. It's like comparing playing football to playing FIFA on the plantation. It just does not compare. So get people from Plymouth to see Argyle not just because they are from the City, but because it is so much better than experiencing it through a screen.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
Bermudian Green":7ydn2ayk said:
"They will never know what it is like to be at Chesterfield on a cold Tuesday night and secure survival."

Personally, I'm sick to death of doing that. I'd love to support a Plymouth Argyle that had genuine ambitions of winning at Anfield to secure Champions League football, rather than be happy securing survival again.

So a thought strikes me. Do Argyle fans secretly enjoy not having a very good football club, just so they can enjoy the fleeting sensation of a last minute-equaliser away on a cold Tuesday night that no-one else gives a flying fig about?

The ONLY sensible post on this thread. Well said sir.

Jun 19, 2006
Somewhere or other
IJN":6isbf8xj said:
Again, it's all about opinions.

I don't like plastics, I even prefer glory hunters to them, but that's the way of the football fan these days it seems.

When I see a youngster in Plymouth or Cornwall with the green of Argyle on it gives me a right chuffy, when I see a youngster with a Man Utd or Liverpool shirt on in Devon or Cornwall it does the exact opposite.

They don't register on my rhicter scale as 'fans' they really don't, but as I say, it's all about opinions.

I don't even get the 'my other team is' if I'm honest, when it applies to a team they've probably never seen play live, but there you go.

Thing is Ian, everyone has different circumstances...

I'm not a janner, I moved to Plymouth in 1983 when my dad got a job in Plymouth, previously I lived in Bedford, MK, Egypt, Zimbabwe, Wolverhampton...

If we'd have moved to Scunthorpe I would have supported them, I'm football mad and to finally move to a city with a football club...Plymouth Argyle...was a dream come true for me. (Mind you I live in Swindon now, STFC? No thanks :lol: )

I remember my first game, a milk cup tie against Arsenal on a Tuesday ( I think) and instantly I was an Argyle fan.

So growing up I was a Liverpool fan, dunno why, but I've never regretted it, still follow them now and been to more games at Anfield than I can remember, but I'm an Argyle fan till I die, give me Argyle type football any day, proper fans.

So yes I'm a bit of a plastic I suppose, but Plymouth will always be home... :scarf:

May 22, 2006
Looked at another way, you could say it speaks volumes for Plymouth when only 5,500 had nothing better to do than watch that load of slime.

Jun 28, 2011
Plymouth
The Herald article is a load of old localist claptrap from someone who hasn't bothered to write 'Presidents Progress' since April 2013.

I have been a loyal Argyle supporter for over 60 years and acknowledge that citizens of a garrison city, like Plymouth, have many different allegiances.