You now HAVE to support Argyle to be proud of Plymouth | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

You now HAVE to support Argyle to be proud of Plymouth

1985nhangingon

For 30 years I have been saying what he says in this article,I could never understand someone from here getting excited about a team 300 miles away,but I now find my time split between Argyle and going to the pub to watch Premier football,cost £22 to watch Argyle and most of the time its boring,I can go to the pub and watch good quailty football as a football lover,not a glory hunter cos I watch whoevers on and enjoy a pint and a meal for £15.People like Chris Webb seem to think because he is into Argyle that all Janners have to be,but its expensive and not very enjoyable alot of the time,its only us nutters that keep going,but like I say I am drifting slowly away.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
John_Lloyd":pf12prk5 said:
Simply put, people should be allowed to support their club in any way they see fit, without being judged by others on how they do it.
Ain't that the truth.

Sick of people telling others how to act on things.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Pogleswoody":1zsrmhms said:
Tugboat":1zsrmhms said:
John_Lloyd":1zsrmhms said:
Simply put, people should be allowed to support their club in any way they see fit, without being judged by others on how they do it.
Ain't that the truth.

Sick of people telling others how to act on things.

oh do grow up Tuggers!! ;)

I've just been sick in my mouth :oops:

Apr 15, 2008
London
John_Lloyd":17pzyapd said:

Indeed. Webb's whole "you can't support Man U and love Plymouth" schtick reminds me of one of those music bores who bleats on about how people should like 'real music' (ie. Jethro Tull or some other flute-playing hippie nonsense) while picking bugs out of their beard.

No one likes a purist.

Sep 28, 2003
London
I couldn't agree more with Chris on this, to be honest.

Plymothians are a funny breed, all things considered. Near total lack of local/civic pride, I've never understood it as parts of Plymouth are incredible.

I think recent years have shown that whatever level of success we have, we aren't going to get people off their sofas.

That in mind, frankly, why not have a pop at these people who desperately try to associate themselves with the success of things they've got nothing to do with.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
John_Lloyd":1sxkngkp said:

I think the point is John, is now how they support, it's why they support.

I agree with Andy Holland.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Off to the Sunfish auction tonight. A project that loads of Plymothians - including my missus put incredible amounts of effort in to. It was a real Plymouth success story. My girlfriend however, hasn't got the slightest bit of interest in Argyle and has never been to see them and actually finds them quite laughable. Her job now involves promoting the University of St Marks and St Johns - an institution she is passionately proud of.....but I suppose she can't possible feel 'pride in her city' or in an 'institution that they have a real emotional attachment to' because she hasn't seen Argyle grab a last minute equaliser at Mansfield.
She doesn't follow a football team, but what if she really liked Liverpool Football Club because her scouse brother in law supports them...would that make her less proud of Plymouth than Mr Webb?

Aug 15, 2008
What I don't understand is how people support a Club like Manchester United and have never even been north of Ivybridge let alone attend Old Trafford.

Do you remember when Leeds won the title - how many leeds shirts suddenly appeared on torsos in Plymouth city centre - or was top shop selling them cheap lol.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
up_the_line":3aqflhri said:
Off to the Sunfish auction tonight. A project that loads of Plymothians - including my missus put incredible amounts of effort in to. It was a real Plymouth success story. My girlfriend however, hasn't got the slightest bit of interest in Argyle and has never been to see them and actually finds them quite laughable. Her job now involves promoting the University of St Marks and St Johns - an institution she is passionately proud of.....but I suppose she can't possible feel 'pride in her city' or in an 'institution that they have a real emotional attachment to' because she hasn't seen Argyle grab a last minute equaliser at Mansfield.

So, tell me UtL, does your "missus" know you have a"girlfriend"?

And how do you get away with it?

:)

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Didn't know there was a difference Tony - you learn something every day.
Trust me I'm not organised or spritely enough for that sort of caper...

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
up_the_line":20wium2w said:
Didn't know there was a difference Tony - you learn something every day.
Trust me I'm not organised or spritely enough for that sort of caper...

I think it is just my SoH

The juxtaposition of the words "missus" and "Girlfriend" so close in your post made me think of 2 different people.

I think being an Argyle fan for too long makes you like this:) (me that is!)

Sep 1, 2006
I agree with what Chris is saying. But its not gonna make a single bit of difference and come across a bit righteous.

Growing up i used to support a prem club while watching Argyle every home game after playing myself. I loved Argyle but I also loved my 'other' club(despite only seeing the live twice). Sadly every kid in my school had another team, a more glamourous team who you could banter with your schoolmates about.

Now I couldnt care less about the 'other' team and still go Argyle week in week out. You do grow up. If kids never go from a young age they wont start supporting them as an adult and drop their other team.