European Super League | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

European Super League

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Lousy_Pint":zbopub5f said:
I agree with all the above posts and find this concept disgusting, BUT...

as an Argyle fan of nearly 60 years, the dream was always to reach the 'promised land' and compete against the so-called big 6, especially them. No disrespect to West Ham, Everton, Villa, Burnley, etc, but that would be a watered-down version, wouldn't it? In my view it would all become fairly pointless. I'm sure Ian Holloway will come up with a suitable analogy at some point!!

Yep I would agree with that, and that's the worst part.

It might be unlikely or near-impossible, but it's the principle that any club can get to the top and beat the best if they're good enough... that's the bedrock of the whole pyramid, and that's what's being taken away.

I still think that governments will step in here, it's not in nation's interests to have domestic competition attacked in this way. Football is a big economic boost for towns and cities up and down the country, and stopping this will have cross-party support, possibly even moreso for the Tories as lots of affected clubs and supporters would lie in the 'Red Wall' they now have to maintain popularity in.

Also the Premier League is one of this country's biggest cultural exports, no-one in political power wants to see that end.

Mar 24, 2019
No coincidence that they’ve announced this while no fans are allowed in ....can you imagine the toxic atmosphere they’d have faced at anfield and old Trafford...greedy gutless cowards

G

Gin

The Argyle Fans'Trust stands with the Football Supporters’ Association and all others who reject the principle of the European Super League...

Following reports in the media today that 15 of Europe’s biggest clubs – including Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea from the Premier League – have agreed to form a breakaway European Superleague, the Football Supporters' Association issued the following statement...

“The FSA is totally opposed to the proposals which seek to create a breakaway ‘European Superleague’.

“The motivation behind this so-called superleague is not furthering sporting merit or nurturing the world’s game – it is motivated by nothing but cynical greed.

“This competition is being created behind our backs by billionaire club owners who have zero regard for the game’s traditions and continue to treat football as their personal fiefdom.

“The FSA, and no doubt supporters across the continent, will continue to fight against its creation.”

thefsa.org.uk argylefanstrust.com

Dec 30, 2020
I just can't fathom the mentality of the people that want this.

The billionaire owners of these clubs already have more money than they could possibly spend in multiple lifetimes of absolute luxury. Why do they need to change the rules of wildly popular and much-loved sport to make even more?

The proposed members of the Super League are already highly successful, with top players competing for the most prestigious trophies. Wouldn't it devalue their success to literally codify the rules of the entire sport in their favour to ensure that all the trophies are maintained within their tiny cartel?

The problem is bigger than football - it's a logical outcome of the values that society in general has encouraged for too long.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
UEFA response

European Super League a 'spit in the face of all football lovers', says Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56800351

Players who will play in the teams that might play in the closed league will be banned from the World Cup and Euros. We urge everyone to stand tall with us as we do everything in our power to ensure this never ends up in fruition.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Biggs":6jc3fvms said:
PL2 3DQ":6jc3fvms said:
I'd be terrified for clubs like Bournemouth, and probably the whole Championship, with owners who have bet the farm with money they haven't got, on reaching the cash-drenched Premier League. We may miss out on £1.17 million, but they are spending the best part of £100m to get to the PL.

This is a really good point. The Championship is stuffed full of clubs that are loaded up with huge debts as they try to chase a place in the promised land. Potentially overnight that land has become somewhat less promised...

Personally I think a top division without the big six could be really interesting - much more like it use to be when a team could get promoted to Division 1 and immediately compete seriously for the title (or win it in the case of Clough's Nottingham Forest). The timing is also interesting as it comes on top of Brexit which already has an impact on the kinds of players clubs can sign. For example, Norwich's star player Buendia who was signed from (I think) a Portuguese club a couple of years ago could not now be signed by them due to changes in work permit rules. So clubs operating around the Division 1/2 boundary are going to see a huge amount of turbulence in the business and squad building models.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
There have been some interesting comments starting to come in from players - Anders Herrera for one. I wonder whether we will see any current top players at these rebel clubs requesting transfers. I know that many players will just want to follow the money but some may not. It will be really interesting if a big-name player decides to break cover, for example to try to preserve their connection with the local community that they come from or to maintain/enhance their opportunities for international honours. It will also be interesting to see whether the rebel clubs have any difficulty signing players from non-rebel clubs for similar reasons.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
cheshiregreen":hpekscsh said:
UEFA response

European Super League a 'spit in the face of all football lovers', says Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56800351

Players who will play in the teams that might play in the closed league will be banned from the World Cup and Euros. We urge everyone to stand tall with us as we do everything in our power to ensure this never ends up in fruition.
EUFA really are the epitome of shameless hypocrisy - their own expansion plans for the CL aren’t exactly devoid of the stench of greed and self-interest. In my eyes, the whole bleddy football ‘elite’ are as bad as each other in their race to the bottom of the trough. I’ve repeatedly and often said on this board that top level footy was heading for an NFL-type franchise setup and lo, its come to pass. Desperately sad times. :furious:

C

Cult Of Personality

Just so angry about this . I am a argyle fan first but I am also a Utd fan . Given that my dad grew up in the 50s and 60s and grew up in North Devon he followed utd from the babes to air crash to tens years later winning the first European cup for an English side . I of course as his son followed in his footsteps and support utd aswell. And I get the buzz of going to old Trafford every time..

Last night and today tho . I spoke to my father and he feels this is the final straw. No longer shall he support the club for over 60 years no longer should I of 30 years after this cash grab . I have always be anti glazer . American businessman who have been ripping money out of Utd for years . Today tho my hate has gone further . Just like how I hate Gardener and Todd for what they did to Argyle.

The Super League is a slap in the face to all fans of football. What is the point in the game if we no longer allow teams to try and be the best . The dream for following Argyle is one day reaching the heights of the premiership. Seeing your club play at Old Trafford Anfield White Hart Lane and Stamford Bridge...this action from these clubs takes that all away

Today is a black day for football

Lev Yashin

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Aug 1, 2017
Canada
I have already posted my thoughts earlier but having noticed that the media concerned with streaming this abomination might be DAZN then I have to comment further.
At the moment my son and I share this company to watch the EPL if and when the announcement comes that it would be them then we stop watching that very day.
Never will I watch one game of this MINI league just like I have stopped watching NFL/ Hockey because of the 3/4 hour game time.

Dec 30, 2011
Please join a boycott of anything and everything that might proved any of the Greedy Six with any income. :mad: :furious:

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I'm no fan of the current government, but they're saying all the right things...

They (Premier League, FA, UEFA) have our full backing, but be in no doubt... if they can't act then we will.

We will put everything on the table to sprevent this from happening.

And have announced a fan-led review of the game :thumbup: