1 goal in 5 away from home | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

1 goal in 5 away from home

Aug 5, 2016
demportdave":m8c15rw2 said:
Justin":m8c15rw2 said:
The trouble is DD, your all-pervasive negativity can be infectious, and like a disease negativity can cause damage.

All this ‘could be’, ‘if we’, ‘might be’ talk. It’s all utterly meaningless, driven by fear and a lack of belief and courage.

Why should we lose our next 2 games?

We’re in the TOP HALF of the table with 8 games remaining.
So there are many teams with much more to worry about than us.

We have the 4th best home record in the league over the last 4 home games. Why not focus on the positives? Why the fear?
I have not used the word fear, that’s your word.

What you inaccurately describe as negavitivty is just awareness of the seriousness of our situation. You are selectively using statistics to paint a better picture that is actually the case. Any team from 12th downwards could be relegated this season and that certainly includes us with our inconsistent performances and our inability to score goals away from home.

A month ago Wimbledon looked dead and buried but they have given themselves a real fighting chance. In a months time, it’s entirely possible that we could be in the top 10, but it’s also possible that we could be in the bottom 4. That is how precarious our situation is and I don’t know why you can’t see it.

The fact is we are in trouble whichever way you try to present it and if we were to lose again next week we will be in deep trouble. We may be 12th but with the narrow points difference, we are in the relegation mix regardless of whether or not you are prepared to admit it. The League Table doesn’t lie.

Out of interest, how do you suppose my supposed negativity will “cause damage”?

If I were to come out with a load of unsubstantiated positivity, would that mean we would go on a long unbeaten run; perhaps we would make the Play-offs.

“Could be”, “if we” and “ might be” can be applied both ways dependent on whether you glass is half-full or half-empty.

Needless to say, mine is half-empty as it has been for much of the last 4 years.

What good is achieved by completely losing the plot like you then? Running around in a state of high anxiety like you haven't taken your pills. The fact is we are top half and 12 teams are not. We have lost 3 in 14, two away to promotion chasing sides. Our defence on the whole is performing, Ladapo is in the race for the league top scorer, Lameiras is purring. We are hardly up poo creek without a paddle. The three point buffer is considerable when 9 sides have to close it. It will probably take 3 more games before that is even a probability. Are we going to lose all of our remaining games? It would require a tailspin in form. All we have done is lost an away game in tricky conditions to a decent side. We move on. For the love of god get a grip. If the players go into the next game as nervous, negative and petrified as you we may indeed have no chance!

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":1oumnuyq said:
demportdave":1oumnuyq said:
Justin":1oumnuyq said:
The trouble is DD, your all-pervasive negativity can be infectious, and like a disease negativity can cause damage.

All this ‘could be’, ‘if we’, ‘might be’ talk. It’s all utterly meaningless, driven by fear and a lack of belief and courage.

We have the 4th best home record in the league over the last 4 home games. Why not focus on the positives? Why the fear?

What you inaccurately describe as negavitivty is just awareness of the seriousness of our situation. You are selectively using statistics to paint a better picture that is actually the case. Any team from 12th downwards could be relegated this season and that certainly includes us with our inconsistent performances and our inability to score goals away from home.

A month ago Wimbledon looked dead and buried but they have given themselves a real fighting chance. In a months time, it’s entirely possible that we could be in the top 10, but it’s also possible that we could be in the bottom 4. That is how precarious our situation is and I don’t know why you can’t see it.

The fact is we are in trouble whichever way you try to present it and if we were to lose again next week we will be in deep trouble. We may be 12th but with the narrow points difference, we are in the relegation mix regardless of whether or not you are prepared to admit it. The League Table doesn’t lie.

If I were to come out with a load of unsubstantiated positivity, would that mean we would go on a long unbeaten run; perhaps we would make the Play-offs.

“Could be”, “if we” and “ might be” can be applied both ways dependent on whether you glass is half-full or half-empty.

Needless to say, mine is half-empty as it has been for much of the last 4 years.

What good is achieved by completely losing the plot like you then? Running around in a state of high anxiety like you haven't taken your pills. The fact is we are top half and 12 teams are not. We have lost 3 in 14, two away to promotion chasing sides. Our defence on the whole is performing, Ladapo is in the race for the league top scorer, Lameiras is purring. We are hardly up poo creek without a paddle. The three point buffer is considerable when 9 sides have to close it. It will probably take 3 more games before that is even a probability. Are we going to lose all of our remaining games? It would require a tailspin in form. All we have done is lost an away game in tricky conditions to a decent side. We move on. For the love of god get a grip. If the players go into the next game as nervous, negative and petrified as you we may indeed have no chance!

How is he 'losing the plot'? Ridiculous statement. All he said was being aware of the seriousness of the situation. 3 points clear is serious especially when we have stopped scoring goals and other teams have started picking up results. You like to be selective with your stats so that is 3 of last 4 games without a goal. The ONE goal scored in last 5 away was against 10 men. (And we have 2 of the most creative players in the Division(in Europe even!!!!! Ha).Whats the point in sticking your head in the sand and denying it?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Knibbsworth":2b9zz5by said:
demportdave":2b9zz5by said:
Justin":2b9zz5by said:

He’s being realistic of the real threat of being pulled into a dogfight. The fact that we are 12th, only 3? defeats in however many matches is irrelevant. The only stats that matter aright now are from the matches we haven’t player yet.

Some people need to get real. Maybe another defeat next match would open a few people’s eyes to the real possibility of us not being anywhere near out of the woods.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
As if it really matters what any one of us as individuals think, accusing people of lacking bottle is ridiculous. What matters is do the players have the bottle?

Under Derek we have failed to turn up for a play off final, blown the division title by failing to win at Grimsby on the last day and failed to make the play offs when it looked nailed on last season. On the plus side we have twice dragged ourselves out what looked a pretty hopeless situation in the past two seasons, won a tense play off encounter with Portsmouth and been promoted.

For what it's worth I don't think it's a lack of bottle but we may have a worrying tendency to become complacent once the hard works been done. Let's hope that's not our undoing this season and we can start the run in with a win on Saturday because you can be sure that Coughlan will have Rovers fired up.

Oct 31, 2015
demportdave":2t9av7a4 said:
davie nine":2t9av7a4 said:
Justin":2t9av7a4 said:
samjones":2t9av7a4 said:
12th yet only 3 pts above drop zone :wtf:

This is going down to the last home game against scunny

I agree, although it depends partly on uswinning our 6 pointer with Doncaster.

Glad you’re optimisitic though Sam!
Perfect answer for Sam, Justin.
No it’s not Davie, it’s actually a very stupid and flippant answer.

We are in serious relegation trouble, by that I mean that if we were to lose to in-form Bristol Rovers we could be right down in the mire with games running out but with some very tough one still to play.

We have been in a relegation battle for virtually the whole of the season, yet some really stupid people are actually talking about the Play-offs, it would be laughable if our situation wasn’t so serious.

This thread highlights a major concern, 1 goal in our last 5 away games and today against a team on a poor run of form we can only muster 1 shot on goal; absolutely woeful.

Yet another example of Adams’s lack of tactical nous coupled with his trademark negativity and stubborness. The same team and the same failing tactics away from home, no imagination whatsoever. Get to half time at 0-0 and hope we might score from a set piece.

Once again, the fear of losing has cost us the chance of winning and we end up getting beaten anyway, something we have seen many times over the past 4 seasons.

Hear hear. Good post.

Can't understand why others cant see this. At least GA1994 is not saying "play offs' anymore
Season has been poor and DA exasperating. At Christmas I would have taken 5th from bottom but whereever we finish if outside the bottom 4 the season has been very poor and for whatever reason a disappointment.

Davie I am still tolerating :)

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
I think everyone can see it. I just think there will be a lot of clubs with bigger worries than us.
I think DA is working on wins at home and draws away philosphy. Whether that's right or not is up to debate. But 7 points from our last 6 away games is not a bad return. Our home form since Christmas was been excellent (surely no one can deny that?)
When you play tight away from home you will get games like today. For 75 minutes it looked like a good plan well executed. At Sunderland we did chase the game and were very unlucky not to have a penalty 20 mins from time - a point there and this thread wouldn't have started.
Fine margins and we are by no means safe. But our form since Xmas means we shouldn't be in panic mode.

Jul 12, 2016
Nobody is panicking yet but a dose of realism is called for. Look at our remaining fixtures and it is difficult to see us getting an average of a point a game.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
We have to match the results of one of eight teams below us to be safe. I’m sure we will manage that.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Oldage we have taken 12 points from our last 8. Three of those games against three of the best 4 teams in the division.
I'm sure our management are acutely aware of our position and aren't booking the end of season party.
Until we become totally safe there will be concern in some quarters. But our form since Christmas and we are virtually injury free should mean we are positive. This thread is a negative one with a hand picked stat to make it so. If you can't see that then it's you who might want to check what realism is.

Sep 6, 2006
Voice_of_Reason":oz9ajse1 said:
Oldage we have taken 12 points from our last 8. Three of those games against three of the best 4 teams in the division.
I'm sure our management are acutely aware of our position and aren't booking the end of season party.
Until we become totally safe there will be concern in some quarters. But our form since Christmas and we are virtually injury free should mean we are positive. This thread is a negative one with a hand picked stat to make it so. If you can't see that then it's you who might want to check what realism is.

You quote 'hand picked stats' then do the same yourself! The bigger point is away from home we are poor. A lot of pressure on the home games therefore and we hardly looked convincing v Shreswbury

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Balham_Green":3gjdeaao said:
GreenThing":3gjdeaao said:
We have to match the results of one of eight teams below us to be safe. I’m sure we will manage that.

Eh? How do you work that out??

We have 8 teams between us and the relegation zone. All of those 8 teams have to do better than us for us to be relegated. If only one team can’t do better than us then we’ll be safe.

Jul 12, 2016
Voice of reason, look at our remaining fixtures and forecast how many points we might get!

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Even at the start of the season we mustered 4 points from the first 8 games. That was when we were absolutely terrible.

Now, we’re a bit hot and cold, but can actually defend and score goals at home. I’d be very shocked if we can’t muster more than 4 points from our last 8.

I think 53 points guarantees safety, but given how many of the teams below us have to play each other and the fact there are essentially 9 teams battling for one relegation spot (barring a real turnaround in form from the bottom 3), 51 may even be enough. Two wins from 8 that requires and I’m confident we can achieve that.

Gills, Accrington, Rovers and Scunny are the big games and generally we are performing well against teams below us in the league.

I think everyone is a bit on edge because we know this team are capable of being awful on their day, but I really think we’ve got enough to at least pick up 3 or 4 results between now and seasons end. A win v Rovers next week and we’re well on the way.

Edit: But if you’re talking about playoffs, give your head a wobble.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
I don't see any reason we won't get between 10-12 points from our remainder.
Balham if you can take you doom mongering persona to one side I did state at the very start stats can be picked to make anything positive or negative. That is my point.
If we are capable of 12 points from 8 games in fixtures that included Pompey, Luton, Sunderland and Posh. Why should our remaining fixtures give cause for concern. There are no easy games - Just look what doomed a month ago Wimbledon have done.
So far in 2019 we have been mainly decent. Defending much better and getting our share of results. We had some luck at Bradford but no luck at Wycombe or Sunderland.