25% capacity at Home Park by October? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

25% capacity at Home Park by October?

Jul 12, 2016
Devongreenowl":72mofqou said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":72mofqou said:
Last week people said we will be back in stadiums by October/November.

I think this is bringing home the fact there is no quick fix solution to us attending games.

The fear l have isn’t going back to football. It’s not having a club to go back to.

Unfortunately, l fear there is only one real solution for the lower leagues until crowds can come back to watch. Simply, the players will probably need to take a significant pay cut. The PFA won’t like it. I’m sure the players won’t either. Yet for the health of the game, for a number of football clubs to survive and for a number of players to be able to keep earning a lower league profession in years to come l can’t see any other viable solution.

Respect your concerns MGM, but nothing I have heard this week from scientists rather than fear-provoking media etc, has convinced me to change my view that we will be watching outdoor sport of all kinds by the Autumn. As for players taking a significant pay cut - there are players in L2 who would surely be better of working elsewhere if they had to take a 'significant' pay cut. Many of these guys aren’t earning large sums and driving Porsches.
Regarding your last sentence maybe not Porsches but have you ever looked at the player's cars in the car park? Even assuming there may be a level of sponsorship most are high end motors.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I do think non league football may take a hit and I can see players there taking a hit in appearance money, but as always it will be the richer owners who will pay the best wages. I don’t think there are too many players at Argyle earning 'big money'. I’m sure there are people on here who are ITK who can elaborate if they wish.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
HC Green":3e1g2lv9 said:
Devongreenowl":3e1g2lv9 said:
I agree. I’ve read the same article. Their concerns though, are surely based on playing in empty grounds for the foreseeable. I prefer to think that once things start to improve (which they already are doing) we will see fairly brisk incremental changes. Obviously I could be totally wrong.

But for now, I prefer to 'always look on the bright side of life'.
:cool: :scarf:

When we see crowds back in German grounds then we will know that a few months afterwards we will follow their example using whatever systems and procedures they use.
I haven’t read anywhere when the German authorities expect fans allowed into grounds.

Why a few months? I know their numbers are different, but it’s not going to be a few months before our top flight start is it? Surely we are weeks behind the Germans, not months.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
oldage":34nw0gg4 said:
Devongreenowl":34nw0gg4 said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":34nw0gg4 said:

I think this is bringing home the fact there is no quick fix solution to us attending games.

The fear l have isn’t going back to football. It’s not having a club to go back to.

Unfortunately, l fear there is only one real solution for the lower leagues until crowds can come back to watch. Simply, the players will probably need to take a significant pay cut. The PFA won’t like it. I’m sure the players won’t either. Yet for the health of the game, for a number of football clubs to survive and for a number of players to be able to keep earning a lower league profession in years to come l can’t see any other viable solution.

Respect your concerns MGM, but nothing I have heard this week from scientists rather than fear-provoking media etc, has convinced me to change my view that we will be watching outdoor sport of all kinds by the Autumn. As for players taking a significant pay cut - there are players in L2 who would surely be better of working elsewhere if they had to take a 'significant' pay cut. Many of these guys aren’t earning large sums and driving Porsches.
Regarding your last sentence maybe not Porsches but have you ever looked at the player's cars in the car park? Even assuming there may be a level of sponsorship most are high end motors.

I can’t say I have Oldage. Tell me then, what’s the best car in there? Maybe the odd Audi or BMW?

Devongreenowl":2dkm7wzz said:
oldage":2dkm7wzz said:
Devongreenowl":2dkm7wzz said:
Metal_Green_Mickey":2dkm7wzz said:

I can’t say I have Oldage. Tell me then, what’s the best car in there? Maybe the odd Audi or BMW?

I know it’s a few years ago now, but I remember at Derek Adams’ first pre-season friendly at Bovey Tracey, where two players cars were baby Bentleys, and several others in the £60k+ category.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Last summer during pre season, I was in the park and ride car park and saw four first team squad members getting into a Vauxhall Corsa or similar, still in their kit. Ryan Taylor was one of them, although he wasn’t the driver.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
I’d suggest you have a look next time and then you wouldn’t make yourself look so silly.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Daz":168xri2u said:
I’d suggest you have a look next time and then you wouldn’t make yourself look so silly.

The driver was also a first team player as were all four. I just can’t remember who it was so I won’t guess. Try not to be so judgemental Daz. I’m just standing up for players who perhaps don’t earn as much as some people think. Go to my other ground and yes, you will see Bentleys etc. Big difference in salaries as even you probably know. Don’t let that get in the way of making a sarcastic remark though will you.

Sep 6, 2006
Metal_Green_Mickey":2dcnkcmg said:

I know you always like to see the negative such as continually saying we wouldnt go up. But isnt this thread about a positive option?

Mar 29, 2020
I think drastic measures is just around the corner for most clubs and ours.....unfortunately....mothball clubs is the only way to survive...having no staff and players would in my eyes be the best...only keep a handful just to tick over....sad but true..unless anybody out there has a few million in there back pocket doing nothing.

Mar 29, 2020
Yeah I know I do change a bit....I think when you read so much on here and listen to so much on Sky Sports News....it can affect the way you think.....unfortunately the football season is dragging with no real final outcome...I know we are up but these weeks are going so slow.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I mentioned earlier in this or another thread Kelsie, that you can’t listen to all the doom mongers. Never does anybody any good. They’re the same sort who said Ryan Lowe wouldn’t get us promoted.

One of the main scientists predicted worst case of 500,000 deaths in UK. The one I prefer to listen to said 50,000. He’s looking about right at this point. He’s the same guy who is saying the lockdown has been too extreme and for too long.

My policy is to stay positive and look forward to going to matches at HP in the Autumn until such time as it becomes apparent that it won’t happen. If that’s the case, I will then put my hands up on here and say I was wrong. I know who will have been more upbeat through May-Sep in the meantime though.
:scarf: