Ben Reeves | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ben Reeves

Feb 8, 2005
IJN":3fsgw8e2 said:
I'd still love to know what data drove us to sign Nouble. :wtf:

Is data the reason why Nouble was signed and was that the reason why we went downhill after he left?

Perhaps there is something to this data thing, after all?

Jul 6, 2011
Justin":1qbohs0j said:
Pottypilgrim":1qbohs0j said:
HC Green":1qbohs0j said:
Lowe said: "Reevesy is a fantastic footballer, a lovely person, a great lad to have around but didn't suit my style."

Football or clothes?

If football why didn’t the data analysis and fantastic recruitment process pick that up?

Releasing Reeves is another example that demonstrates Lowe doesn't have a clue as far as I'm concerned. Why would he not want to keep and play an established league one footballer, happy on either foot, energetic, can pick a pass, aggressive in the tackle and can score goals.

Reeves should have been given far more game time than he was.

Why did he also get released by previous clubs?

You want Argyle to fill a squad full of 30 year olds unsuitable for the way the manager wants to play?

No lets fill the team up with under 23 inexperienced loanie defenders and see how that pans out...

Aug 15, 2015
Haven't read the whole thread but a couple of thoughts on Reeves (and MacLeod for that matter). Might be stating the obvious here, but I can't help but think that their situations have largely been affected by career injury. I remember Reeves playing against us a couple of times and also tearing it up for MK Dons against Man United. He was buzzing all around the park, full of energy, up and down (from memory). Did anyone else noticed how when he played for us, he didn't run so much, nor did he get overly involved in the physical side of things? The same could be said for MacLeod. MacLeod actually got more stuck in, and when he did, he aggravated his ankles if I remember well.

My impression is that to not risk serious harm given their vulnerability to injuries, they played within themselves. They did what they could do, or had to do, without really breaking sweat or really driving themselves 100% into every moment of the game, the way that say Joe Edwards would. I could be very wrong, but I can't help but think that in the back of their heads they are concious about protecting themselves and their fitness in the years ahead of them so that they can sustain a living at a professional level. And I suspect that Lowe might have realised that consequently, there's not much point in keeping either player given this situation. I mean, I liked what I saw of Reeves and the guy didn't really get a fair crack, but equally, he's not the same player that played for Charlton in the Championship. He was released by MK Dons, and hasn't done anything of note this season. He's clearly at a lower standing and level to where he has been before and you can't help but think that injuries have had a big role in that. The same could be said for MacLeod and his time at Rangers.

I think they might both find themselves in trouble next year though if other managers are acutely aware of their injury situation. Certainly, it's difficult to see them getting contracts in League 1 next year, but I may be wrong.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
oldage":3qg45xfl said:
DartingtonPilgrim":3qg45xfl said:
Argylegames":3qg45xfl said:
jimsing":3qg45xfl said:
Potty,

Hallett has insisted that data analytics is used, and Lowe has agreed to use it, otherwise he would not have become manager, so it is here to stay, I'm afraid.

That confuses me as Lowe brought his data analyst with him from Bury. I think the Chairman said he wanted a manager who used analysis and found one.

It is big in the USA of course since it was 'invented' in Baseball.

I think data analysis has many aspects ,Jimmy Dickinson will likely analyse club and opponent data , whereas the data analysis companies Argyle are in partnership with collect player specific data that they can match to the specifics that we are looking for when recruiting new players, effectively providing a thinner down list of players for us to look at , players who should suit RL's requirements.
Hasn't done much for us so far. Our goals against column tells us all we need to know.
Once again, you are adding 2 to 2 and making 5. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that scrapping data analysis would make us better.

Sep 2, 2008
Dan Ellard":3ud4boui said:
oldage":3ud4boui said:
DartingtonPilgrim":3ud4boui said:
Argylegames":3ud4boui said:
jimsing":3ud4boui said:
Potty,

Hallett has insisted that data analytics is used, and Lowe has agreed to use it, otherwise he would not have become manager, so it is here to stay, I'm afraid.

That confuses me as Lowe brought his data analyst with him from Bury. I think the Chairman said he wanted a manager who used analysis and found one.

I think data analysis has many aspects ,Jimmy Dickinson will likely analyse club and opponent data , whereas the data analysis companies Argyle are in partnership with collect player specific data that they can match to the specifics that we are looking for when recruiting new players, effectively providing a thinner down list of players for us to look at , players who should suit RL's requirements.
Hasn't done much for us so far. Our goals against column tells us all we need to know.
Once again, you are adding 2 to 2 and making 5. There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that scrapping data analysis would make us better.

I disagree. I'm sure when we were 4th in the Championship for a short period of time we weren't using data analytics. Also, there is evidence that using data analytics makes us worse, this season case in point. Even Lowe says our recruitment has been bad.

In my opinion, you need a bleddy good budget and a decent location to get any use out of data analytics. If we don't have these to use in conjunction with the tool then it is pointless having it.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Leicester may be seen as a perfect example of how data analytics can be successful- but they are premier league with a very wealthy owner (family) so probably get the best of the best from whichever country they choose to recruit from- we are league 1 with a very sensible owner who probably sees how this model can be successful on a smaller scale & budget

The issue we had last season was that RL harped on about it as it was the route to success but as the season went on we saw week in week out that maybe it was not all it was cracked up to be

We all have our own thoughts about why the wheels fell off for the last 3 months of the season & we all have our thoughts on data analytics- as a previous poster has said RL has to use it & embrace it as it was part of him taking the managers job

Maybe over the close season he will get a refresher course on data analytics so that he can be smarter, more savvy when it comes to player recruitment & gaining a competitive edge over his rivals

We all want passion,desire,commitment & a will to win mentality- data analytics may not show that but hopefully the players recruited will have those traits ingrained in them

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Pottypilgrim":3t6vdqaj said:
Dan Ellard":3t6vdqaj said:
oldage":3t6vdqaj said:
DartingtonPilgrim":3t6vdqaj said:
Argylegames":3t6vdqaj said:
jimsing":3t6vdqaj said:
Potty,

I disagree. I'm sure when we were 4th in the Championship for a short period of time we weren't using data analytics. Also, there is evidence that using data analytics makes us worse, this season case in point. Even Lowe says our recruitment has been bad.

In my opinion, you need a bleddy good budget and a decent location to get any use out of data analytics. If we don't have these to use in conjunction with the tool then it is pointless having it.
Plenty of teams that use it have had good and bad seasons. All I can say is, Sheridan despises it - and Wigan and Swindon fans will tell you how badly he was this year.

Surely our location is more of a reason to use it, not less? Because we're so isolated?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Pottypilgrim":1a14d4gy said:
Dan Ellard":1a14d4gy said:
oldage":1a14d4gy said:
DartingtonPilgrim":1a14d4gy said:
Argylegames":1a14d4gy said:
jimsing":1a14d4gy said:
Potty,

Based on your opinions, I would suggest that if you live in the South West, you go and support Southampton in the Premier League.
You seem to think that, because of our location, we will never progress beyond League 1 unless we are taken over by a multi-billionaire, particularly as we are also unlikely to recruit from foreign clubs. Perhaps, you think some new town in the Midlands could take us over.
I’ll take my chances with Simon Hallett and data analytics.

Sep 2, 2008
Dan Ellard":snvb8vhk said:
Plenty of teams that use it have had good and bad seasons. All I can say is, Sheridan despises it - and Wigan and Swindon fans will tell you how badly he was this year.

Surely our location is more of a reason to use it, not less? Because we're so isolated?

Not a very good example to use to support your opinion. Both Wigan and Swindon were absolutely skint when Sheridan joined them and I would suggest Pep himself wouldn't have been able to do anything with those clubs.

Sep 2, 2008
davie nine":3s66gjqt said:
Based on your opinions, I would suggest that if you live in the South West, you go and support Southampton in the Premier League.
You seem to think that, because of our location, we will never progress beyond League 1 unless we are taken over by a multi-billionaire, particularly as we are also unlikely to recruit from foreign clubs. Perhaps, you think some new town in the Midlands could take us over.
I’ll take my chances with Simon Hallett and data analytics.

Open your eyes Davie. How long has it been since we were even close to the Championship and even when we did eventually get there, how long were we actually there for?

Also, why do you think the multi-billionaires don't even consider us when they're looking for a new toy?

I'd love to know the reason(s) why you think we are not as progressive as most other clubs?

Look at the teams that finished above us this season; Accrington Stanley, Lincoln, Gillingham, Crewe. These are clubs that have a much smaller fan base than us and are most probably on a much smaller budget and yet they attract far better players than we do. Jeez, even Rochdale played us off our own park. Why do you think these players go to these clubs instead of us Davie? I'm sure they come up on the data analytics list much higher up than the ones we end up with and yet we cant get them down here.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Look, 10 years ago, we nearly didn’t have a team to support. We have overcome your perceived location problems in the past and, I am sure we will overcome them again.
If our ownership and management have decided that they want to use data analytics, I will support them.
With regard to your arrogant attitude towards smaller teams that are above us that will always be the case at all levels of sport.
I am just grateful that we have a wealthy owner who is a real fan as I am also grateful to James Brent, who saved us from going out of business, and looked after us until Simon Hallett came along.
As far as I am concerned, we are in the middle of an adventure and I will remain optimistic that, eventually, we will achieve our objectives.

Sep 2, 2008
davie nine":1vohax0u said:
Look, 10 years ago, we nearly didn’t have a team to support. We have overcome your perceived location problems in the past and, I am sure we will overcome them again.
If our ownership and management have decided that they want to use data analytics, I will support them.
With regard to your arrogant attitude towards smaller teams that are above us that will always be the case at all levels of sport.
I am just grateful that we have a wealthy owner who is a real fan as I am also grateful to James Brent, who saved us from going out of business, and looked after us until Simon Hallett came along.
As far as I am concerned, we are in the middle of an adventure and I will remain optimistic that, eventually, we will achieve our objectives.

:eh: What? I didn't say they were smaller teams. I said they had a smaller fanbase and probably had a smaller budget than us. Seems to me that its you that thinks they are smaller teams then Argyle so maybe you should reconsider which one of us is the arrogant one.

If ownership and management want to use data analytics then that really is their choice, after all, it is their club. All I'm saying is that I don't think its any good for Argyle for the reasons I've mentioned earlier.

Next season is going to be really interesting. Lowe has already said that they got the recruitment wrong (after using data analytics) so it will be interesting to see how recruitment goes next season after using data analytics once again, assuming he's still here of course. I, for one, am not expecting any change for the better but would love to be proven wrong though.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Pottypilgrim":2tyixzaz said:
davie nine":2tyixzaz said:

:eh: What? I didn't say they were smaller teams. I said they had a smaller fanbase and probably had a smaller budget than us. Seems to me that its you that thinks they are smaller teams then Argyle so maybe you should reconsider which one of us is the arrogant one.

If ownership and management want to use data analytics then that really is their choice, after all, it is their club. All I'm saying is that I don't think its any good for Argyle for the reasons I've mentioned earlier.

Next season is going to be really interesting. Lowe has already said that they got the recruitment wrong (after using data analytics) so it will be interesting to see how recruitment goes next season after using data analytics once again, assuming he's still here of course. I, for one, am not expecting any change for the better but would love to be proven wrong though.
How do you define smaller teams?
The fact that they have a smaller fan base and a probably smaller budget, in your opinion, would go some way to meeting that criteria and made your comment seem arrogant in thinking that we should be better than them.