Bolton Away | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bolton Away

I went to watch Bolton vs Chelsea one Sunday a few years back after an Argyle weekend in Blackpool. Ground didn't stand out - usual new seated affair - but I remember that the pies were good and that it was a pain to get away after as Horwich Parkway station was packed.

M

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
WoodsyGreen":3uhvs4xx said:
German Shepherd":3uhvs4xx said:
I was there. Crudgie broke his finger . we had already used our only sub so he moved to centre forward & Nisbet went in goal; both were dreadful in their unfamiliar roles. I went to get a beer to bring back to my seat (those were the days) & missed Paul Dalton's wonder goal.....just a typical afternoon in watching Argyle.

Wouldn't have been Paul Dalton... wrong era.
We have never been to the Reebok (University of Bolton stadium) but we have a strange record in Bolton. We have just 3 wins and a draw in 14 visits but the three wins came in consecutive seasons 1965-66, 1966-67 and 1967-68. Argyle's manager for the 1984 visit played in all three as did Gordon Taylor, the current President of the PFA. Francis Lee played in two of them too.

Quite a few Argyle connections past and present with McGovern, Joyce and McElhinney. Played on 22 September 1984

Managers John McGovern Bolton and Johnny Hore

Team Line-ups

Simon Farnworth
Brian Borrows
Jimmy Phillips
Warren Joyce
Gerry McElhinney
Peter Valentine
Steve Thompson
Jeff Chandler
George Oghani
Tony Caldwell
Graham Bell

Geoff Crudgington
Gordon Nisbet
John Uzzell
Chris Harrison
(Andy Rogers)
Clive Goodyear
Adrian Burrows
Kevin Hodges
Leigh Cooper
Tommy Tynan
Gordon Staniforth
Russell Coughlin

Scorers Joyce 7 Caldwell 16, 59, 88 Oghani 45 Chandler 61 (pen), 89 and for Argyle Coughlin 31 and Tynan 69

Aug 10, 2006
memory man":2del6ztk said:
WoodsyGreen":2del6ztk said:
German Shepherd":2del6ztk said:
I was there. Crudgie broke his finger . we had already used our only sub so he moved to centre forward & Nisbet went in goal; both were dreadful in their unfamiliar roles. I went to get a beer to bring back to my seat (those were the days) & missed Paul Dalton's wonder goal.....just a typical afternoon in watching Argyle.

We have never been to the Reebok (University of Bolton stadium) but we have a strange record in Bolton. We have just 3 wins and a draw in 14 visits but the three wins came in consecutive seasons 1965-66, 1966-67 and 1967-68. Argyle's manager for the 1984 visit played in all three as did Gordon Taylor, the current President of the PFA. Francis Lee played in two of them too.

Quite a few Argyle connections past and present with McGovern, Joyce and McElhinney. Played on 22 September 1984

Team Line-ups

Simon Farnworth
Brian Borrows
Jimmy Phillips
Warren Joyce
Gerry McElhinney
Peter Valentine
Steve Thompson
Jeff Chandler
George Oghani
Tony Caldwell
Graham Bell

Geoff Crudgington
Gordon Nisbet
John Uzzell
Chris Harrison
(Andy Rogers)
Clive Goodyear
Adrian Burrows
Kevin Hodges
Leigh Cooper
Tommy Tynan
Gordon Staniforth
Russell Coughlin

Scorers Joyce 7 Caldwell 16, 59, 88 Oghani 45 Chandler 61 (pen), 89 and for Argyle Coughlin 31 and Tynan 69
we know that's why I said it's taken 22 years.

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
WoodsyGreen":23wrgohv said:
German Shepherd":23wrgohv said:

Doh ! :oops: Beer & age have obviously addled my brain. I'm sure I went to Burden Park & missed a Dalton wonder goal or was I dreaming ?

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Clarke_B":3upcjde6 said:
pastiesforlife":3upcjde6 said:
Emu":3upcjde6 said:
davie nine":3upcjde6 said:
Bernie Bernbaum":3upcjde6 said:
Who was the Chichester goalkeeper? He wanted to draw us.
His name is Ant Ender and he said he is an Argyle fan.

There was also a Maldon and Tiptree goalscorer interviewed called Jorome Slew. He looked like Jordan Slew (ex Argyle) but he plays for Boston United now. Surely, they must be brothers. A bit of research suggests he once played for Mousehole.

It's Steve Mowthorpe.

Agreed it was Steve Mowthorpe but not sure why he supports Argyle. He was once on Southampton’s books and has been based on South coast, playing for AFC Totton.

Let’s hope he gets his wish in the second round and we get to play Chichester. Green Army v. Green Army.

Looking at his Twitter account he served in the Royal Navy so must have been based in Plymouth at some point.

Could have been at RNAS Culdrose of course. It is a bit closer to Mousehole than GUS

Jun 27, 2019
German Shepherd":3brxqeou said:
WoodsyGreen":3brxqeou said:
German Shepherd":3brxqeou said:

Doh ! :oops: Beer & age have obviously addled my brain. I'm sure I went to Burden Park & missed a Dalton wonder goal or was I dreaming ?

After consulting the Bible, the original match you're referring to was played in September 1984. Dalton scored at Burnden Park in January 1993, which means you were in the beer queue for almost ten years :lol:

German Shepherd

🚑 Steve Hooper
Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
WoodsyGreen":3sxa3ecp said:
German Shepherd":3sxa3ecp said:
WoodsyGreen":3sxa3ecp said:
German Shepherd":3sxa3ecp said:

After consulting the Bible, the original match you're referring to was played in September 1984. Dalton scored at Burnden Park in January 1993, which means you were in the beer queue for almost ten years :lol:

That would explain everything then ! :lol:
47 years of watching mediocrity merges into one.

D

desperateshaker

We came to your first game of season, was shocked at the amount you take to away games. Do any of you know if it's going to be all ticket? We will be attending, your support last time was brilliant,

Not been to a game since, apart from Sunday's charity game.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
With the likelihood that the away crowd will be swelled by a good number of Shakers, perhaps we could have a special strip in Bury colours for this season's FA cup run...?

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
loyal1970":2b2msy74 said:
memory man":2b2msy74 said:
WoodsyGreen":2b2msy74 said:
German Shepherd":2b2msy74 said:

Team Line-ups

Simon Farnworth
Brian Borrows
Jimmy Phillips
Warren Joyce
Gerry McElhinney
Peter Valentine
Steve Thompson
Jeff Chandler
George Oghani
Tony Caldwell
Graham Bell

Geoff Crudgington
Gordon Nisbet
John Uzzell
Chris Harrison
(Andy Rogers)
Clive Goodyear
Adrian Burrows
Kevin Hodges
Leigh Cooper
Tommy Tynan
Gordon Staniforth
Russell Coughlin

we know that's why I said it's taken 22 years.
Sorry to have wasted your time.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
I’m really selfishly hoping that the Bolton game is either on the Friday or the Sunday. I’m at Hillsborough on the Saturday v Swansea so it would be great to get two games in a weekend. For those who haven’t been to Bolton before, parking is really good at the stadium (or it used to be) but it takes a while to get away after the game. Mind you, that was when there was an almost full house which is unlikely to happen for Argyle’s visit in the decreasingly popular FA cup. Reckon there will be a good contingent of Greens though, swelled by a good number of Bury fans

Sep 13, 2003
Cant see game being moved. BBC and BT have picked the live TV games and they have been moved already. Burnley, Preston and Blackpool are all playing at home on the Saturday but can't see that being an issue for the police.
None of the Manchester clubs are at home on the Saturday.

Sep 3, 2009
I was at the 90's game when Dalton scored a pearler. 3-1 defeat, if I remember rightly.

Wow, seems so long ago now.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Clarke_B":13swp7kj said:
Cant see game being moved. BBC and BT have picked the live TV games and they have been moved already. Burnley, Preston and Blackpool are all playing at home on the Saturday but can't see that being an issue for the police.
None of the Manchester clubs are at home on the Saturday.
It's also not been picked as one of the Sunday 12.45pm kick offs for BBC Final Score.

It could be moved if it's chosen for overseas broadcast though.