Brent backs Adams | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brent backs Adams

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
No team ever got relegated in October...FACT!

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Green_Flash":2ev8qqsa said:
Of course not, what has that got to do with anything?

The football season is a marathon...not a sprint!

We were rock bottom of the league in DECEMBER last year, with less points than now.

Where's the panic?

Jan 6, 2004
I simply cannot fathom the argument that we should not make a change while there is still time to turn it around. Utterly perverse attitude

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Andy_S":1kfoq9jt said:
Green_Flash":1kfoq9jt said:
Of course not, what has that got to do with anything?

The football season is a marathon...not a sprint!

We were rock bottom of the league in DECEMBER last year, with less points than now.

Where's the panic?

Totally incorrect....by the week of the FA Cup at the start of December we had I think 17pts.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Green_Flash":9qmx6z1c said:
I simply cannot fathom the argument that we should not make a change while there is still time to turn it around. Utterly perverse attitude

And you can’t possibly know that a change would be an improvement (and spare the ‘can’t get any worse’ schtick, that’s not a proper argument), and/or that Adams himself can’t turn it around in that time.

Completely understand people wanting a change, it’s these spouting of certainties that is really annoying. No-one can truthfully say they know what will happen with or without Adams in charge.

What we do know is that we’ve turned this sort of thing around before and not finished lower than 7th under Adams, so on one hand we have some sort of evidence at least. On the other we have a complete leap into the dark, while adding to the instability at the club and spending money we really don’t want to.

I really have tried to make that post as balanced as possible, but I’m sure it will be perceived otherwise.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Biggs, genuine question I'm not taking the mick because some of what you've said does make sense, but how much worse would things have to get before you would want a change?

Aug 24, 2011
Deacster":2zwwfikn said:
xmastree":2zwwfikn said:
cheshiregreen":2zwwfikn said:
HC Green":2zwwfikn said:
Almost word for word what he said last year, I thought the Herald had just pulled out the article from 2017.

While the Herald doing that wouldn't surprise anyone, there is a real point there. Were no lessons learnt from Summer 2017 or are these new mistakes in Summer 2018?

Either way, starting seasons with a poor run of results would really not be acceptable 3 seasons on the trot would it? Surely there is a need to review events and determine a plan to avoid a further repeat.

Agree with this. Brent quoted in the Herald article that they are not going to dwell too much on what has happened. It's not the first time he's said something of this nature, and it worries me. If you don't get to the bottom of what has gone wrong and understand where mistakes have been made, how do you put it right?
That struck me also, to start one season like last year is bad but we put it right. To start two seasons back to back as we have suggests a big issue and a trend surely worthy of analysis??

Let's stop flying out to Holland to play 8th tier English level teams, and I'm sick of seeing parkway, tavistock, Bideford and others as standard fixtures every year, it's no way to get ready for a tough league like we are in. We played one good team in the run up to the season and that was yeovil still a league below and they drashed us! The signs were there very early this season.

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Pre-season definitely needs beefing up. One problem though is that decent sized English teams like to perform in front of their cash cows... Sorry, die-hard supporters is SE Asia etc whenever there's an opportunity. When was the last time we had a decent home friendly? Larriue's testimonial?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Cobi Budge":1nl8bp9g said:
Biggs, genuine question I'm not taking the mick because some of what you've said does make sense, but how much worse would things have to get before you would want a change?

End of December and we’re still bottom of the league AND near the bottom of form table, then I think something needs to happen and a new man allowed to bring in new players in January.

End of December and we’re still bottom but showing sustained good form (I remember last year people bizarrely ignoring the form table), then he definitely deserves the transfer window.

We’re just not yet at the stage for the board to consider such a massive decision. We’re NOT most other clubs, we’ve built our sustained progress on stability and getting the big decisions right.

I suspect that’s not far off the board’s thinking, as well.

May 30, 2008
Camberley, Surrey
Biggs":3pftcwep said:
Cobi Budge":3pftcwep said:

End of December and we’re still bottom of the league AND near the bottom of form table, then I think something needs to happen and a new man allowed to bring in new players in January.

End of December and we’re still bottom but showing sustained good form (I remember last year people bizarrely ignoring the form table), then he definitely deserves the transfer window.

We’re just not yet at the stage for the board to consider such a massive decision. We’re NOT most other clubs, we’ve built our sustained progress on stability and getting the big decisions right.

Deserves the transfer window so sign a load more players who clearly aren't good enough and put the final nail in the coffin

Aug 11, 2013
hoovermelon":2loo12l5 said:
arrythewurzel":2loo12l5 said:
Very measured level headed response. Panic is a great enemy. We’re not cast adrift without hope. He’ll turn it around.

On what basis do you think that?

Cause i cant see any reason why we are suddenly going to start winning games

The first 3 are facts. The last based on past performance.

It’s a risk but a bigger risk would be getting someone, in who’s currently out of a job because they have been sacked by another club for not being up to the job.

Oct 16, 2016
Sustained progress? Some progress, certainly not sustained

End of December then sack him and find a new fella in a week to take care of the January window?

I’d utterly respect someone who said ‘come what may Adams is my man’

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
hoovermelon":16ylk81y said:
Biggs":16ylk81y said:

Deserves the transfer window so sign a load more players who clearly aren't good enough and put the final nail in the coffin

By that logic you don’t rate Graham Carey, Gary Sawyer, Jamie Ness, Ryan Taylor, Ruben Lameiras, or any number of other very good players Adams HAS signed.

Yes it looks like a rubbish summer transfer window, but that’s not the norm over the last three years. Taylor and Sarcevic were certainly crucial January signings to help us get over the line, and Zak Vyner (and to a lesser extent Moses Makasi) was an excellent find last season.