Brief Synopsis!!! (Mansfield) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Mansfield)

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
4 or 5 chances for the opposition does not mean we would have been 4 or 5 down at HT...it means we rode our luck and/ or great 'keeping kept us in the game. Bit of both today. :greensmile: Good teams make their own luck and come through. Superb tactical realignment in the mid first half break by Lowe. The best team seen at HP this season?..you see them every home game!

Oct 31, 2015
Stiffler":1nu5zppt said:
Nobody had outstanding performances! next Joke, Palmer was faultless.
No he was not. At fault for their goal which he will admit to and on another day could have given a pen away.

Kept us in it in the first 20 though

Jun 27, 2019
Good teams win well playing poorly, and that's exactly what Argyle did today.

Our defence has rightly won plaudits recently but they were exposed today - Scott Wooton particularly who was a liability at times. He was directly responsible for gifting Mansfield three golden chances that luckily they didn't manage to take.

Hopefully it was just a bad day at the office, but Josh Grant has to be in the frame for a start next week.

Talking of Josh Grant, he definitely isn't getting his DM role back because Ty Bakinson is now a lock for that position. He's a proper baller. Strong, skillful, mobile... and he can shoot too. He'll be a major part of what we do in the remainder of the season.

Palmer was decent and I'm not sure he could be blamed for the goal. He clearly wasn't expecting Cook to shoot, but then I wasn't either. He reacted late and couldn't quite tip it over the bar. Lowe and Schumacher stared at him for a good few seconds after it went in, and their body language suggested they weren't happy. Bakinson also suggested it was a goalie mistake in his man of the match interview afterwards.

Jephcott was tidy in possession but was well marshalled by the Mansfield defence. It didn't help that the team as a whole didn't really perform today and he was feeding off scraps. Hardie had the benefit of more space to play in with Mansfield chasing the game, as evidenced by his run onto a superb ball for the third goal (I didn't see who played it). His first touch took him slightly wide but he still managed to find the far corner with his left foot. That's two chances and two goals for him now... one with his right, one with his left. I have a feeling he'll start next week.

The management illustrated just how important the third goal was by going crazy in the technical area. They knew we dodged a bullet and could easily have lost that today.

Bring on Stevenage.

Mar 14, 2009
Can only echo what others have said.

How we survived the first 25 mins, l don't know. Some very strange finishing by highly rated forwards. A couple of chances seemed to be put on a plate but we just had some lucky charm protecting our goal. The thing Mansfield just lacked today was composure at the final moment.

I found it strange how easily the trap was set for Argyle and we fell into it time and time again. We didn't even change it tactically when it needed things to change which annoyed me.

They had 3 forwards waiting for a stray pass and as Wootton and Sawyer are slow they burst into the channels and got behind them.

They put those 3 forwards centrally so when Wootton or Sawyer had the ball they were wider of them so when we gave the ball away cheaply they sprung us time and time again because of Wootton and Sawyers lack of pace.

I have to say l was waiting for Lowe to tactically adapt but we ploughed on regardless making the same mistakes. I find this slightly concerning, especially how easily they sprung us.

The positives were

- another great assist by Cooper

- A great performance by Canavan. The goal was a terrific header. Yet his goal saving clearance was just brilliant. Great positional sense to see the danger. When the ball did come into the box he seemed to be in the right place, at the right time.

- Bakinson looks a great player on the ball. Couple of shots outside the box that hit post and bar. He was very comfortable with the ball and adds a presence.

- Ryan Hardie took his goal well. Great composure

I would further add that l do think Josh Grant adds more security in that CDM position. His pace and postional sense screens that back 3 and he sits there more than others which helps us against the counter attack.

Today we got fortunate. Yet these type of games are great when you win as it might make a difference. What lm really hoping for though is we learn a few lessons from the mistakes we made today.

My fear is we play an open type of football but simply don't have the defenders who are good enough on the ball or have the mobility to not get exposed. This is why l think Lowe is doing a remarkable job currently with the present squad because l do think today exposed glaring weaknesses playing the football we do and if your tactically a good coach, like Coughlan, how you expose us.

The more l see us, the more l think we are heading for the playoffs, as the top 3 may be in reach but lm not convinced we can sustain our form if teams play similar tactics to Mansfield today.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
a very tense match against a mansfield side that missed umpteen chances in both halves.sympathy for their fans but not for mansfield who should have been out of sight at half time.a very good opener for argyle from my man of the match canavan,a dubious looking penalty very well taken by the energetic sarcevic,clearly he has been practicing them.mansfield scored with a speculative strike the like of which you don't often see in the fourth tier which had us feeling nervous but a gold old fashioned long ball saw hardie out sprint the defender and he finished with aplomb.not playing well and winning is a very good sign.my ratings;

Alex Palmer - 7
Scott Wootton - 6
Niall Canavan - 9
Gary Sawyer - 8
Joe Edwards - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 8
Tyreeq Bakinson - 6
Danny Mayor - 5
George Cooper - 7
Byron Moore - 5
Luke Jephcott - 5

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
We won the game 3 1, against an impressive Mansfield side, we took our chances, they didn’t. It wasn’t a sparkling performance by any means, but we got the 3 points. I don’t think we were lucky, I think we proved we we’re a good team and a real automatic promotion contender.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Steve Evans":2yrl3e7n said:
a very tense match against a mansfield side that missed umpteen chances in both halves.sympathy for their fans but not for mansfield who should have been out of sight at half time.a very good opener for argyle from my man of the match canavan,a dubious looking penalty very well taken by the energetic sarcevic,clearly he has been practicing them.mansfield scored with a speculative strike the like of which you don't often see in the fourth tier which had us feeling nervous but a gold old fashioned long ball saw hardie out sprint the defender and he finished with aplomb.not playing well and winning is a very good sign.my ratings;

Alex Palmer - 7
Scott Wootton - 6
Niall Canavan - 9
Gary Sawyer - 8
Joe Edwards - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 8
Tyreeq Bakinson - 6
Danny Mayor - 5
George Cooper - 7
Byron Moore - 5
Luke Jephcott - 5

Bakinson a 6?

Clueless

Mar 14, 2009
On a seperste note, it didn't seem Moore kept holding the back of his right leg, especially in the first half.

It seemed strange as he kept rubbing or holding the top of his leg for a few seconds.

I guess he didn't have a niggle, but seem werid situation.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Tugboat":qquv97dn said:
Steve Evans":qquv97dn said:

Alex Palmer - 7
Scott Wootton - 6
Niall Canavan - 9
Gary Sawyer - 8
Joe Edwards - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 8
Tyreeq Bakinson - 6
Danny Mayor - 5
George Cooper - 7
Byron Moore - 5
Luke Jephcott - 5

Bakinson a 6?

Clueless
i disagree.that is my opinion of a very good player learning his trade.

Dec 3, 2005
It was scary in the first half - seeing how easy Mansfield ran through our defence - no idea how they managed to MISS all those clear open chances. Thankfully they did - and we managed to get the first goal of the game. A great cross and header.

Bakinson looks like he could be a good additon - he certainly has a good shot - hitting the post and then later the crossbar from distance.

Argyle were definately misfiring today, but still came away 3 - 1 winners :scarf:

Hardie looks a good signing too, took his goal well and moves around making runs all the time, once we get used to his runs, I am sure he will score many goals.

It looked like one game too many for Jephcott, though the service to him didn't help.

Yes, still cant beleive how Mansfield didnt score more goals, the one they did score was a fluke lol

Even Liverpool have off days, it is the winning that is important - great 3 points.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Canavan = excellent (MoM)
Bakinson = highly promising (grew into game)
Cooper = superb cross (again)
Hardie = great finish (composed)
Josh Grant = fantastic defensive contribution when we really needed it

Tynan One Nil

🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 23, 2013
“An injury to Byron Moore allowed the shell-shocked players to run to the touchline for a 'drinks break' and receive instructions from Lowe. This break allowed us to get back into the game (was Moore really injured,a tactical time out?).”

It was 100% tactical I believe and a turning point, a half time rollicking 20 mins early.

Need to find a starting spot for Josh Grant kept the ball effortlessly when he came on.

On to Stevenage.