Brief Synopsis (Sponsored by Bromleigh House Ltd) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis (Sponsored by Bromleigh House Ltd)

Sep 6, 2006
Defenders seem to be getting a lot of stick. The first goal was a very good strike and the second due to a terrible header from Mayor. My concern is that apart from Mayor nobody will take responsibility, try to take on a player, make something happen. Its so often just take the easy option, go back, keep the ball but we are not hurting them. On one occasion the clueless Gritton praised Hardie for exactly that - recycling the ball he called it. Hardie is not there to 'recycle the ball'. He should be taking on and commiting defenders. Guess what the ball was r'ecycled' and the move fizzled out as it did all evening.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
Get in the car, head for poor, drive past awful, carry on past disastrous, take a left at woeful, straight over the roundabout at pitiful and park up at inept. Set off on foot on the path marked ghastly, take a sharp right at hideous and finally settle at horrifying.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Balham_Green":1xrrux7f said:
Defenders seem to be getting a lot of stick. The first goal was a very good strike and the second due to a terrible header from Mayor. My concern is that apart from Mayor nobody will take responsibility, try to take on a player, make something happen. Its so often just take the easy option, go back, keep the ball but we are not hurting them. On one occasion the clueless Gritton praised Hardie for exactly that - recycling the ball he called it. Hardie is not there to 'recycle the ball'. He should be taking on and commiting defenders. Guess what the ball was r'ecycled' and the move fizzled out as it did all evening.

This sums it up.
Mayor definitely at fault for the second goal, but as far as creativity is concerned, when Mayor is being double marked someone else needs to take responsibility to commit defenders and pull the opposition's shape around a bit.
Fornah is never going to do that so perhaps we question selection on a night when we were bound to have a lot of possession in front of the opposition...but the real question mark has to be why Camara didn't look to burst forward at all tonight. He was very negative and slowed play down as much as Fornah.
Hardie now looks totally incapable of the kind of run past a couple of players that he showed against (perhaps weaker) defences last season, and just doesn't seem all that clued up at the moment...the ball across the area from Lewis (his only decent contribution) was a striker's dream...but he was 3 yards back on his heels? Why? Should be predicting where that ball may go.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
What Lowe has told the Herald

Ryan Lowe reaction

I thought we went from a good team to a bad team in 48 hours because that performance wasn't acceptable. It was after the Lord Mayor's Show. I have just addressed it with the lads in there (the away changing room), which will stay between us, but they know it's not acceptable. Whether it's a mentality thing, I don't know, but that's us. That's our inconsistency down to a tee. They are disappointed, rightly so, but they know they have got to be better. We don't want to just be an average team in League One, we want to push and push and see where it takes us.

Aug 24, 2014
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":2xo8y66j said:
We're a mid table side all over really, we sometimes win when we shouldn't & we sometimes lose when we shouldn't, we're inconsistent. There's no need to go crazy over tonight, similarly we shouldn't get carried away when we win. We'll consolidate & next season is the test.

Spot on

Sep 6, 2006
up_the_line":8x1el6oq said:
Balham_Green":8x1el6oq said:

This sums it up.
Mayor definitely at fault for the second goal, but as far as creativity is concerned, when Mayor is being double marked someone else needs to take responsibility to commit defenders and pull the opposition's shape around a bit.
Fornah is never going to do that so perhaps we question selection on a night when we were bound to have a lot of possession in front of the opposition...but the real question mark has to be why Camara didn't look to burst forward at all tonight. He was very negative and slowed play down as much as Fornah.
Hardie now looks totally incapable of the kind of run past a couple of players that he showed against (perhaps weaker) defences last season, and just doesn't seem all that clued up at the moment...the ball across the area from Lewis (his only decent contribution) was a striker's dream...but he was 3 yards back on his heels? Why? Should be predicting where that ball may go.

I love Camara but I agree he seems much less adventurous recently. Time to get the quality of Reeves and McLeod into the side. More experienced too.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I don't understand what caused our change of tactics/attitude after the opening 20 minutes.

The first 20, whilst not exactly breathtaking, was good - we create a couple of openings, dominated possession and territory, and looked threatening. This was because of the high line and high press we were implementing - our wing backs pressed right up onto their full backs on occasions, which did mean that sometimes their wide men in the 4-2-3-1 would hit the channel and drag Aimson/Watts out wide, but other than a couple of crosses, nothing ever came of it for them. We were well on top, a little sloppy sometimes but looked set to control the game.

After that... it was as if someone hit the off switch. Pretty much all of the pressing stopped, and our defence dropped unnecessarily deep. The first goal, whilst Fornah is at fault for a weak header, came about because we were 10 yards too deep for that free kick. It allowed Northampton, a very functional and limited team, to play to their strength - winning headers and playing off knock-downs.

When we don't press opposition teams and sit deep, it isolates our strikers so so badly - I have been critical of Hardie, Jephcott and Ennis recently, and their movement, finishing and hold up play hasn't been good admittedly, but I think one must sympathise with the fact that they are easily double-marked because we don't commit midfield players forward enough. The 2nd half consisted of pretty much exclusively long balls from our defenders, which sometimes were accurate, but even when they were it's a contest that our strikers will lose 9 times out of 10. They're not target men - they NEED balls into feet or balls they can run onto. All Northampton had to do was stay compact and watch as we lumped it up to Jephcott and Hardie/Ennis all half.

Sometimes the negative effects of our lack of pressing can be masked by us passing the ball really well. The best move of the match was when Camara received the ball in our half, turned out, played a great ball to Lewis in space, who drove forward and crossed excellently for Jephcott, who in turn played a good 1-2 with Hardie, putting him in on goal. That kind of quality on the ball that we're occasionally capable of was completely absent in the final hour tonight. They're League 1 players, I get it - they aren't always going to be able to pass it around perfectly. But the quality in possession was conference standard tonight - admittedly on a slightly lively surface.

We have to press the ball more. Ironically, given how madly brilliant our attacking play was against Lincoln, we've failed to score in the other 3 games out of our last 4. That's a trend that will continue unless we play higher up and get our strikers in the game.

Cooper 7 MOTM - command again exemplary, one good save in the first half, blameless for either goal. Distribution pretty good too, and showed fantastic sweeping to rush out and clear one very good first half through ball.

Aimson 5 - his hoofing in the 2nd half was as aimless as I've seen from him. Defensively good though, as normal.

Woods 2 - would have been a 4, a couple of points off for that horrific tackle. Too early to judge him after just a couple of appearances, but I'm not optimistic based on what I've seen. Hopefully he can turn it around.

Watts 5 - same as Aimson, perhaps a smidgen better on the ball.

Fornah 5 - really frustrating. Earlier in the season I regularly gave 5's for him as I felt that he was never really remarkable, didn't do that much and let the game pass him by a bit. Now... he's having 20 or 30 minutes per game when he's really really good, and then just goes off the boil. One moment tonight when he got out of a really tight spot, retained possession and then played a pass forward was fantastic. But he faded again, badly. At fault for the 1st goal.

Edwards 5 - 7 first half, 3 in the second. Rightly subbed, but I'd still start him on Saturday looking at the big picture - he's normally better than that.

Camara 5 - Slightly better on the ball tonight, but another who faded badly.

Mayor 5 - Didn't have his usual impact, albeit Northampton really doubled up on him to subdue him. Terrible header for the 2nd goal.

Lewis 5 - Andy Kellett mk II. Some fantastic crosses and dribbling, but also some moments of really poor technique, and his defensive marking and awareness isn't there yet.

Jephcott & Hardie 5 - Didn't do anything of note after that neat one-two, but as I said above, I sympathise with our strikers a little right now, so they're saved from a really low mark for that reason. They need more bodies around them.

Subs: Moore 6, Reeves 6, Ennis 4, Grant 6, Lolos 4.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Balham_Green":33dgg7bn said:
up_the_line":33dgg7bn said:
Balham_Green":33dgg7bn said:

This sums it up.

I love Camara but I agree he seems much less adventurous recently. Time to get the quality of Reeves and McLeod into the side. More experienced too.

I do too...he is a real pain for opposition defenders when he starts getting those legs going and breaks forward. When he starts playing percentage passes he just looks another average player.
I'm not overly convinced by Reeves, but at least tonight he tried a couple of jinky dribbles to either break the line or draw a foul.

The attitude from a lot of those players tonight was very far off what it should have been. Complacent and lax.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Well from the highs of Saturday to a severe reality check. Tonight was a night to forget. We have a severe mental block against teams that play ugly. We have no plan B when faced with niggly, frustrating. constantly fouling , negative teams. The boys were very pedestrian with no urgency (did they think they would just turn up & win). Northampton were no great shakes but they sussed us out from the first whistle with there negative gameplan. Lewis was abject in the 1st half & his decision making was rather naive . Coops could not have stopped the 1st goal but we adopted the predictable malaise in the 2nd half & Northampton shut up shop as soon as the 2nd went in . RL made the subs to late & Northampton knew it- they almost sucked the life out of the game .But the icing on the cake was Woods moment of madness what the ********* was he thinking in the 90th minute - game had gone & he does that - certainly a great impression to make in your 1st game. It will be interesting to hear RLs thoughts- he may well be rueing the decisions he has made. I can take losing but not in that fashion- the game will be consigned to the games to be forgotten archive but i expect better on Saturday :banghead: