Brief synopsis | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief synopsis

Dec 2, 2010
Absolutely dreadful.

This team has no fight, no leaders, no winners and no chance! poo defending aside. Passing it around in your own half with no threat and hitting free kicks 40 yards across the pitch are going to get you what you deserve - fudge ALL!

The stats about Argyle conceding in the first and last 15 were spot on.

The only redeeming factors were the Green Army, Good banter with Luton fans, Sonny applauding and putting a bet on at 3-0 that there would be more than 5 goals in the game!

There are not 4 worse teams in this division. That'll be the easiest game Luton have all season.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The 'highlights' show really poor defending by Moore for goals one and three. There's no attempt to close down the Luton player or block the cross.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Andy Holland":1px9la87 said:
I lost count of the number of times a Luton player picked up the ball 30 yards from our goal, had time to turn and get his head up and then pick a pass or have a shot before any of our "defensive" midfielders got within 3 yards of them.

When someone like Ness offers nothing going forward, but then nothing defensively either, you really have to ask what the point of him is. He can be the first one out the door after Adams.

Through your understandable frustration I suspect that's harsh on Ness who was very likely trying to play through injury. It's a shame he is so prone because when fully fit he makes a huge difference to our team in midfield.

Aug 13, 2011
I don't quite know what Moore is doing in the team. He gets nowhere near the danger and just looks on forlornly as it unfolds. Sorry, that isn't going to help. He's just not good enough. Can't hold a torch to Threlkeld. No positional sense and no presence about him at all. He's got to go.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Our fullbacks aren’t fullbacks. They just aren’t capable defensively and the sooner Adams awakes to the fact the sooner we sort it.

Get them as wingbacks

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
gariboldi":2md3ll83 said:
I don't quite know what Moore is doing in the team. He gets nowhere near the danger and just looks on forlornly as it unfolds. Sorry, that isn't going to help. He's just not good enough. Can't hold a torch to Threlkeld. No positional sense and no presence about him at all. He's got to go.

Because there's nobody else at Right-back we can play. Unless we change the formation which Adams seems reluctant to do.

Mar 6, 2011
London / Plymouth
Agree with most of the above but a few of my ponderings...

- You don't build a house on sand. Defence just not up to standard required at this level. Is this a lack of a 'leader' (IE, Sonny) Pace (Nelson / Vyner?) or lack of trust in the keeper? Macey a decent shot stopper but he clearly doesn't inspire confidence. Cant catch and put us under pressure. Rule one? Don't parry into the 6 yard box. "Wingbacks" just don't seem good enough. Poor positional play, don't offer much going forward and ducked out of tackles. Sawyer and Oscar were very solid last season. We've somehow got to be solid at the back to have any chance in games.

- Where has the energy gone? Lethargic all over the park. Freddie tried his (lonely) best but Luton cut through us with ease. We knocked it around OK, but no movement, no overlaps, no clever triangles, no space - nothing. Second to every ball. Lack of motivation from the manager? Ness and Fox looked lost at sea. Carey / Sarcevic Missing. Individual errors in the first half putting us under pressure from the off.

- Where on earth is Graham Carey? Our talisman, our spark, our creative wonder. No confidence, no real energy, no real movement, no real influence. Obviously a player in there, but we need more from him. Is he simply fed up with whats around him? Dissent booking today clearly showed his frustration, but last season he'd be running the show.

- No pace or bottle. Watching Luton on the break was painful. They moved the ball through us like a knife through butter. So much space, too much time, too easy. Free headers, little to no marking - lack of organisation on the pitch or lack of tactics off it?

Where do we go from here?
Clearly poor recruitment in the summer, but what is the solution? We're so many players short of decent League 1 side. Quite frankly the worst performance for a long time. What happened to turning the corner?

No idea. On todays showing we're as good as down. Time is on our side, but for how long?

Aug 13, 2011
r4h4al":3dr1nzvl said:
gariboldi":3dr1nzvl said:

Because there's nobody else at Right-back we can play. Unless we change the formation which Adams seems reluctant to do.

I fear you're right, well in January we either strengthen this frighteningly bad defence or we go down, it's that simple, so Board, sorry to break this news, you do have to spend!

Aug 13, 2011
And for God sake I must say, what does it take the man to play Lameiras, clearly a threat! Saved us an embarrassing draw last week, scores regularly in fact. 15 minutes!? It's an insult !!

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
gariboldi":39pcc7ii said:
r4h4al":39pcc7ii said:
gariboldi":39pcc7ii said:

I fear you're right, well in January we either strengthen this frighteningly bad defence or we go down, it's that simple, so Board, sorry to break this news, you do have to spend!

Yeah if we can get Oscar back that would be brilliant. Which would make sense because he must be unhappy with not playing in Belgium.

Aug 13, 2011
I'd play Lameiras at right back to get him a game, he's light years better than most he plays so stick him there, joking of course, but 15 minutes again! It's just an insult, sorry!

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
This board have now to face facts;

1) Argyle cannot stay up with this budget or anywhere near this budget
2) This team does not meet Argyle's fan bases lowest expectation of acceptable
3) Derek Adams is not the messiah and has some obvious flaws
4) Argyle is about football and not a shiny new stand

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
gariboldi":3q4e8pwj said:
I'd play Lameiras at right back to get him a game, he's light years better than most he plays so stick him there, joking of course, but 15 minutes again! It's just an insult, sorry!

Well to be fair Grant got the goal so that justifies Adam's selection. I don't think this was a game Lameiras could have thrived in at all.

I guess next week you could put him in for Carey. Who is out with a suspension.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Tony_Flags":3khtfx25 said:
This board have now to face facts;

1) Argyle cannot stay up with this budget or anywhere near this budget
2) This team does not meet Argyle's fan bases lowest expectation of acceptable
3) Derek Adams is not the messiah and has some obvious flaws
4) Argyle is about football and not a shiny new stand
:nworthy:

Aug 13, 2011
r4h4al":380xnxt9 said:
gariboldi":380xnxt9 said:

Well to be fair Grant got the goal so that justifies Adam's selection. I don't think this was a game Lameiras could have thrived in at all.

I guess next week you could put him in for Carey. Who is out with a suspension.

Why does it have to be Grant or Lameiras? Besides Lameiras has far more in his locker than Grant, anyone who goes to Argyle knows that. One has an end product (when it matters! Not today) the other doesn't. But he's simply got to find a place for Lameiras, our second most naturally gifted player behind Carey and one who plays exceptionally well with Carey. I just don't get his omission, I never do.