Brief synopsis | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief synopsis

Aug 13, 2011
Phew!!!! Well, I think we are all sighing now, had our blast! A lot of this is reaction to today, inexcusable though it was, we did play well against Sunderland and arguably deserved a point.

We must now try to get back on track, still eye January for strengthening and if DA did hint this in the press conference then, yes indeed, the board need to back him financially. He needs to play his best team in the meantime and gather as many points as possible before the January sales. Then the board need to provide a lot of money either for new signings (preferrably) or for loanees coming in on decent wages. (I admit I'm not sure what percentage of a loan signing's wage a receiving club pays). Many of the players we have are not good enough, no matter how much you coach them. You could coach some of ours until you are blue in the face and they will still come up well short! That's the fact. We need quality not quantity to survive.

Jun 2, 2016
Luton let our back 4 have the ball alot. Let them play it around but made sure supply lines to the midfield were cut.
Those back 4 were not capable of playing effective balls themselves and usually ended up getting into trouble. Dont recall any decent passes to Ladapo all game. And hardly any to the wings.
And when attacking Luton also targeted and overlapped against the full backs. 1st goal came from left wing, 2 from right wing, then 3 and 4 from left wing.
Luton were stronger all over the pitch but they targeted our very very ordinary full backs.

Jul 6, 2011
I don't understand why Peter Grant has been sidelined, I thought in a difficult time he was our best player and I agree that Lameiras should be starting, leaving him out is just a silly decision.

Aug 5, 2016
memory man":3gnjykgx said:
football-bet-data":3gnjykgx said:
And to think we interviewed Nathan Jones and went for Adams instead.
Clearly things are at a low ebb and I thought exactly the same. But after discussing it with my son this evening I think this view is a bit simplistic. If Adams had £125k to spend would he have wasted it on Jake (who Adams brought in for free and quite often got a tune out him)? Would Nathan Jones have been able to polish Blisset, a £15k purchase. As I said, I thought the same but I don't think we are comparing like with like.

Exactly, it is not like for like. Jones has had money to burn at Luton and doesn't seem to be held accountable for it.

Our fans are mortified at the likes of squad filler signings such as Ainsworth, Wylde and Dyson, and these are free transfers on cheap wages. He is hardly threatening the future of the club by signing a few freebie journeymen to cover injuries.

Ray Stidwell

Jam First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
the_corkscrew":bqsn8ess said:
Luton let our back 4 have the ball alot. Let them play it around but made sure supply lines to the midfield were cut.
Those back 4 were not capable of playing effective balls themselves and usually ended up getting into trouble. Dont recall any decent passes to Ladapo all game. And hardly any to the wings.
And when attacking Luton also targeted and overlapped against the full backs. 1st goal came from left wing, 2 from right wing, then 3 and 4 from left wing.
Luton were stronger all over the pitch but they targeted our very very ordinary full backs.
This

Aug 4, 2011
Knibbsworth":qzv6wqlb said:
memory man":qzv6wqlb said:
football-bet-data":qzv6wqlb said:
Clearly things are at a low ebb and I thought exactly the same. But after discussing it with my son this evening I think this view is a bit simplistic. If Adams had £125k to spend would he have wasted it on Jake (who Adams brought in for free and quite often got a tune out him)? Would Nathan Jones have been able to polish Blisset, a £15k purchase. As I said, I thought the same but I don't think we are comparing like with like.

Exactly, it is not like for like. Jones has had money to burn at Luton and doesn't seem to be held accountable for it.

Our fans are mortified at the likes of squad filler signings such as Ainsworth, Wylde and Dyson, and these are free transfers on cheap wages. He is hardly threatening the future of the club by signing a few freebie journeymen to cover injuries.
Jones (although has had more money at his disposal) has insisted on an attacking brand of football. Luton have been scoring 4’s, 5’s, 6’s, 7’s and even an 8 with him in charge, the emphasis is most definitely to entertain.
Yes he signed Jervis, but he quickly shipped him out when he realised he was not doing the job he required from him. Collins who scored a hat trick against us yesterday was signed for an undisclosed fee, Hylton (who has scored a hat trick against us in the past I think) was signed on a free.

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Signed in a free when the signing on fee was 6 figures always seems wrong when used as a statistic.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Precisely NJ has had moderate backing at Luton to match his entertaining brand. I'm not convinced he would do a better job than Adams at Argyle.

Aug 5, 2016
football-bet-data":tq8enx3h said:
Knibbsworth":tq8enx3h said:
memory man":tq8enx3h said:
football-bet-data":tq8enx3h said:

Jones (although has had more money at his disposal) has insisted on an attacking brand of football. Luton have been scoring 4’s, 5’s, 6’s, 7’s and even an 8 with him in charge, the emphasis is most definitely to entertain.
Yes he signed Jervis, but he quickly shipped him out when he realised he was not doing the job he required from him. Collins who scored a hat trick against us yesterday was signed for an undisclosed fee, Hylton (who has scored a hat trick against us in the past I think) was signed on a free.

Oxford paid far more than we could for Curtis Nelson. Luton paid more than they could for their number 9 to drop down a division.

Do you really think Hylton is a two grand a week, no signing on fee forward that Argyle should have been in for?

You seem very forgiving of Nathan Jones spending £200,000 on a player who was out of contract in June. To give him a 2.5 year contract and a pay increase, only to not play him. You give Jones credit for 'quickly shipping him out once realising he wasn't doing the job required'. I haven't seen much praise for Adams in quickly realising that Scott Wootton, Lionel Ainsworth and Joe Riley weren't as good as he'd have hoped!!

Jul 12, 2016
Yet again you seem to miss the point.Jones shipped out players deemed not suitable regardless.Adams has signed players which he has no intention of playing who are not good enough to be sought by other clubs.Add up all their wages,relocation costs? and see what we have wasted.

Feb 2, 2007
Knibbsworth":16szkfhz said:
football-bet-data":16szkfhz said:
Knibbsworth":16szkfhz said:
memory man":16szkfhz said:
football-bet-data":16szkfhz said:

Oxford paid far more than we could for Curtis Nelson. Luton paid more than they could for their number 9 to drop down a division.

Do you really think Hylton is a two grand a week, no signing on fee forward that Argyle should have been in for?

You seem very forgiving of Nathan Jones spending £200,000 on a player who was out of contract in June. To give him a 2.5 year contract and a pay increase, only to not play him. You give Jones credit for 'quickly shipping him out once realising he wasn't doing the job required'. I haven't seen much praise for Adams in quickly realising that Scott Wootton, Lionel Ainsworth and Joe Riley weren't as good as he'd have hoped!!

Hylton left Oxford when Appleton has Kemar Roofe. Like Ryan Taylor despite being decent L1 he was surplus to requirements as they were trying to build a Championship ready team.

Hylton is a low life btw and Luton are welcome to his type.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
The budget differential shouldn't even be a debate. Luton pinched our best center back from us because they could pay him so much more that he'd be willing to leave Plymouth for that dump. Not only that, they were also willing to pay 250k just to buy him out of a 6 month contract just after paying a similar fee for Jervis to sit on Wimbledon's bench, talk about money to burn.

Jones may play a nice attacking brand of football but that's easy to do when you're buying in technically superior players from the outset. The runs they were making yesterday weren't just tactics, that's experienced higher level players doing what they've done their whole careers. Yes Jones has put them together as a unit but when the individual components are that much better to begin with it's honestly harder to fail than succeed.

We on the other hand make do with cheaper options, it's just the position we find ourselves in. We don't have a rich benefactor to chuck money at us; Adams is forced to buy unfinished articles on the cheap and develop them from there. Sometimes it pays off, other times it doesn't such is the nature of scouting potential instead of current ability, it's speculative.

The key is we have a manager for our current situation, it's why Adams was chosen over Jones after an extensive and thorough recruitment process. The Welshman may have spouted off his attacking brand of football and entertaining the fan-base but our board recognised that entertaining the fans is of course important but under our circumstances has to be considered secondary to getting more for your money out of cheaper players. Something that Adams had a track record of achieving with Ross County's budget, something that Jones still has no experience in doing.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Oldage, you actually think he signed players he had no intention of playing? Every signing is a gamble, every signing at any club on the planet risks not working out. It happens all the time.

I do agree however, that resigning Wylde was a curious decision.

To pick up on a point above, why would James Collins being an undisclosed fee mean it wasn’t a large fee? With his goalscoring record and age, he would have cost Luton well into six figures and on a three year contract as well.