Brief synopsis | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief synopsis

lipsonlad67

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 17, 2016
Deepest Lincolnshire
the_corkscrew":1otr688q said:
Luton let our back 4 have the ball alot. Let them play it around but made sure supply lines to the midfield were cut.
Those back 4 were not capable of playing effective balls themselves and usually ended up getting into trouble. Dont recall any decent passes to Ladapo all game. And hardly any to the wings.
And when attacking Luton also targeted and overlapped against the full backs. 1st goal came from left wing, 2 from right wing, then 3 and 4 from left wing.
Luton were stronger all over the pitch but they targeted our very very ordinary full backs.

That's how I saw it corkscrew.

We just couldn't cope with their interplay, they looked like they were loving their football, whereas we were quite the opposite: timid, virtual spectators.

The day was summed up when their mascots were asked at half time what they thought the final score would be, the 7 and 8-0 predictions given in no way seemed far fetched, thankfully that wasn't the case.

Also embarrassing hearing the comments from Luton fans about our 'performance' when we were heading away from the ground.

A bad bad day at the football.

Aug 5, 2016
Ollieargyle9":335jd5ie said:
The budget differential shouldn't even be a debate. Luton pinched our best center back from us because they could pay him so much more that he'd be willing to leave Plymouth for that dump. Not only that, they were also willing to pay 250k just to buy him out of a 6 month contract just after paying a similar fee for Jervis to sit on Wimbledon's bench, talk about money to burn.

Jones may play a nice attacking brand of football but that's easy to do when you're buying in technically superior players from the outset. The runs they were making yesterday weren't just tactics, that's experienced higher level players doing what they've done their whole careers. Yes Jones has put them together as a unit but when the individual components are that much better to begin with it's honestly harder to fail than succeed.

We on the other hand make do with cheaper options, it's just the position we find ourselves in. We don't have a rich benefactor to chuck money at us; Adams is forced to buy unfinished articles on the cheap and develop them from there. Sometimes it pays off, other times it doesn't such is the nature of scouting potential instead of current ability, it's speculative.

The key is we have a manager for our current situation, it's why Adams was chosen over Jones after an extensive and thorough recruitment process. The Welshman may have spouted off his attacking brand of football and entertaining the fan-base but our board recognised that entertaining the fans is of course important but under our circumstances has to be considered secondary to getting more for your money out of cheaper players. Something that Adams had a track record of achieving with Ross County's budget, something that Jones still has no experience in doing.

Terrific post. The idea that Jones could have delivered what he's doing at Luton at Argyle is naive. Adams has a track record of finding the likes of Fox, Jervis, Bradley, Ladapo, being bombed out of other clubs and turning them into key players for him. Jones's recruitment strategy seems to be to find who is in excellent form at clubs who need the money, and buy them.

lipsonlad67

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 17, 2016
Deepest Lincolnshire
Shoenice":9pvz7oec said:
As it turns out, I just happened to be sat next to 3 Scottish people. I believe that these 3 were relatives of Derek Adams (dad, mum and wife is my guess). Near the end of the game one lowlife shouted 'Scottish c...' - Derek's dad turned around and had a go at him. I felt really sorry for them actually as the atmosphere was really sour at this point.

However bad it got yesterday, there's no need for that kind of abuse. Total lack of class.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Tony_Flags":30tz41yk said:
This board have now to face facts;

1) Argyle cannot stay up with this budget or anywhere near this budget
2) This team does not meet Argyle's fan bases lowest expectation of acceptable
3) Derek Adams is not the messiah and has some obvious flaws
4) Argyle is about football and not a shiny new stand
Agree with points 2-4 but can't agree with point 1, we have an (allegedly) similar budget to last season when we finished 7th?!

Adams used his budget very very well last season. This season he has pretty much completely wasted it.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
One thing that I cannot forgive Adams for: yes, some of these have been injured at points this season, but we've still had plenty of opportunity to play the front 6 that was tearing this division apart just a matter of 9 months ago. Fox, Ness, Sarcevic, Carey, Lameiras, Taylor. The number of minutes this season that we've played those 6 together? 0.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
lipsonlad67":26t7un47 said:
Shoenice":26t7un47 said:
As it turns out, I just happened to be sat next to 3 Scottish people. I believe that these 3 were relatives of Derek Adams (dad, mum and wife is my guess). Near the end of the game one lowlife shouted 'Scottish c...' - Derek's dad turned around and had a go at him. I felt really sorry for them actually as the atmosphere was really sour at this point.

However bad it got yesterday, there's no need for that kind of abuse. Total lack of class.
Seems that Shoenice heard a comment from one of our ‘yobs’. Not only letting himself down but also the magnificent travelling Green Army.

lipsonlad67

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 17, 2016
Deepest Lincolnshire
Some great humour shown by the GA, which got better as things got worse. Didn’t notice much in the way of early departures, most of us stayed to the bitter end.

Mar 23, 2008
Ollieargyle9":enrfbzmz said:
The budget differential shouldn't even be a debate. Luton pinched our best center back from us because they could pay him so much more that he'd be willing to leave Plymouth for that dump. Not only that, they were also willing to pay 250k just to buy him out of a 6 month contract just after paying a similar fee for Jervis to sit on Wimbledon's bench, talk about money to burn.

Jones may play a nice attacking brand of football but that's easy to do when you're buying in technically superior players from the outset. The runs they were making yesterday weren't just tactics, that's experienced higher level players doing what they've done their whole careers. Yes Jones has put them together as a unit but when the individual components are that much better to begin with it's honestly harder to fail than succeed.

We on the other hand make do with cheaper options, it's just the position we find ourselves in. We don't have a rich benefactor to chuck money at us; Adams is forced to buy unfinished articles on the cheap and develop them from there. Sometimes it pays off, other times it doesn't such is the nature of scouting potential instead of current ability, it's speculative.

The key is we have a manager for our current situation, it's why Adams was chosen over Jones after an extensive and thorough recruitment process. The Welshman may have spouted off his attacking brand of football and entertaining the fan-base but our board recognised that entertaining the fans is of course important but under our circumstances has to be considered secondary to getting more for your money out of cheaper players. Something that Adams had a track record of achieving with Ross County's budget, something that Jones still has no experience in doing.
They were only able to pay Bradley so much more as Adams was not willing to pay him what he wanted, when he wanted to stay. Instead he 'invested' his budget in Canavan, Wooton and Grant. Speculation but safe to say the wages for possibly 2 and definately 3 would have kept Bradley. Our squad is bigger than Lutons with mostly experienced pros so the budget argument is limited. I expect they do have a bigger budget, but Accrington have a much much smaller budget if you see where I'm going with this.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
briangreen":orcc2yk3 said:
I don't understand why Peter Grant has been sidelined, I thought in a difficult time he was our best player and I agree that Lameiras should be starting, leaving him out is just a silly decision.

Agree Grant surely has a case to be back in the team now after that shambles, and Lameiras and Taylor probably need to come back in.

Sep 6, 2006
Ray_Stidwell":3fhdsfj4 said:
the_corkscrew":3fhdsfj4 said:
Luton let our back 4 have the ball alot. Let them play it around but made sure supply lines to the midfield were cut.
Those back 4 were not capable of playing effective balls themselves and usually ended up getting into trouble. Dont recall any decent passes to Ladapo all game. And hardly any to the wings.
And when attacking Luton also targeted and overlapped against the full backs. 1st goal came from left wing, 2 from right wing, then 3 and 4 from left wing.
Luton were stronger all over the pitch but they targeted our very very ordinary full backs.
This

Ordinary full backs? They ain't that good. Shocking. Somebody above suggested Peter Grant the Falkirk reject! If you have 2 apparent school boys at full back doesn't matter who the centre halves are.

Mar 23, 2008
r4h4al":145bf6k3 said:
briangreen":145bf6k3 said:
I don't understand why Peter Grant has been sidelined, I thought in a difficult time he was our best player and I agree that Lameiras should be starting, leaving him out is just a silly decision.

Agree Grant surely has a case to be back in the team now after that shambles, and Lameiras and Taylor probably need to come back in.
Agree with all that, think Grant was very unlucky and Canavan doesn't look half as good yet has been getting the nod, very strange. Lameiras should start most weeks, his goals and assists show that. He can be a luxury player at times but him and Carey buzzing around we know works, why not use that tactic??

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Ollieargyle9":21g8au6q said:

:thumbs: Very good post.

Biggs":21g8au6q said:
Oldage, you actually think he signed players he had no intention of playing? Every signing is a gamble, every signing at any club on the planet risks not working out. It happens all the time.

I do agree however, that resigning Wylde was a curious decision.

Yeah. You'd think with re-signing somebody the idea is to play every game or most games. To not play him is bonkers. He's not even backup at the moment.

The same with Dyson, and Peter Grant, why sign them and then not even play them? Again Dyson isn't even back up, Taylor is.

Aug 15, 2015
I'd also add that whilst Moore had a shocker (and ASB not much better), one reason for this was that they kept having to come inside to press on a player more centrally. This naturally of course pulls them out of their own position and creates a gap out wide. I'd argue that this was somewhat the responsibility of our central midfielders and particularly Fox (whose legs have gone). I don't think they helped the cause for our full backs. Luton's midfield were going through our midfield like a knife through butter. Way too much space infront of them which ASB and Moore tried to come inside and compensate for.